Saints CB Lattimore injures ankle, Saints sign CB Sterling Moore

Dome

The New Orleans Saints are bringing back veteran cornerback Sterling Moore, a league source told The Advocate. 

Moore, who ended up becoming a starter for the Saints last season, spent six games in New Orleans again this season, although he was released after the win over Green Bay. 

New Orleans could be bringing back Moore for a variety of reasons. Rookie sensation Marshon Lattimore suffered an ankle injury, and his status for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Rams remains in the air, although he appeared to hint on Twitter that he will be OK. 

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_b4324df6-ce3b-11e7-a9e3-7bb3a1deb976.html

7 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Hope Lattimore is alright. His tweet was pretty positive, but also vague. 

Sterling Moore was OK at best for us. At worst he was a bag of potatoes. Put him on the field and at least he's an obstacle. 

Boo obstacles. Yay sieves!

By the film sure looked like it could be a HAS.  

Crazy stat..

He means that much to NO being a top 5-10 D.  Truly elite CB.  NO's playoff chances of going deep in January depend on his health IMO.   While it's never good to get hurt, at least here he'd likely be back well in time for playoffs.   NO getting the 1 or 2 seed (PHI seems to have a stranglehold on 1, but stranger things have happened) is crucial here.  

Wish him the best...especially since we just played NO last year.  :D

Good to see the injury doesn't seem to be serious.  Love watching elite CB careers.  Hoping he doesn't turn into Richard Sherman as far as personality is concerned.  Wishing the Packers had a chance to draft him.  His season and how it effected the Saints defense gives me hope for a quick turnaround for the Packers defense next year. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Good to see the injury doesn't seem to be serious.  Love watching elite CB careers.  Hoping he doesn't turn into Richard Sherman as far as personality is concerned.  Wishing the Packers had a chance to draft him.  His season and how it effected the Saints defense gives me hope for a quick turnaround for the Packers defense next year. 

Every team has a chance to draft every player every year. Some are willing to do what it takes to get someone they love. Others aren't. 

That isn't to say we should have traded up for Lattimore or anyone for that matter, but it's pretty clear what TT does at this point.

But if you're of the mind like I am that the Packers defense is a shutdown corner away, then you get sad entering another year without trying to get one. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Every team has a chance to draft every player every year. Some are willing to do what it takes to get someone they love. Others aren't. 

That isn't to say we should have traded up for Lattimore or anyone for that matter, but it's pretty clear what TT does at this point.

But if you're of the mind like I am that the Packers defense is a shutdown corner away, then you get sad entering another year without trying to get one. 

Please.  It took the Bears the 3rd overall pick, their third and fourth round picks and their third round pick in this coming draft to move up one spot in the draft.  If you think the Packers had a realistic chance in hell at moving up from 29th overall to 11th overall in a way that wouldn't set them back 5 years given the draft capital it would have taken, I've got beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Packers could have moved up, but the Packers defense is not a shutdown corner away from being a top 10 defense, and the Packers as a team are not a shutdown corner away from being all that talented. 

It's one thing to complain about Thompson having 5 picks in the 5th-7th round.  That complaint I totally agree with.  But to complain that he couldn't move up 18 spots in the draft is just unfair.  The Chiefs made a similar move.  They went from 27 to 10.  It cost them (in addition to 27th) their third round pick and this first round pick this year. 

You can't blame a GM for not having the balls to make a move like that.  What if your start QB gets injured in the preseason and your team tanks to a top 3 pick?  Suddenly that 11th overall pick doesn't look as good as the next year's third overall. 

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Please.  It took the Bears the 3rd overall pick, their third and fourth round picks and their third round pick in this coming draft to move up one spot in the draft.  If you think the Packers had a realistic chance in hell at moving up from 29th overall to 11th overall in a way that wouldn't set them back 5 years given the draft capital it would have taken, I've got beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Packers could have moved up, but the Packers defense is not a shutdown corner away from being a top 10 defense, and the Packers as a team are not a shutdown corner away from being all that talented. 

It's one thing to complain about Thompson having 5 picks in the 5th-7th round.  That complaint I totally agree with.  But to complain that he couldn't move up 18 spots in the draft is just unfair.  The Chiefs made a similar move.  They went from 27 to 10.  It cost them (in addition to 27th) their third round pick and this first round pick this year. 

You can't blame a GM for not having the balls to make a move like that.  What if your start QB gets injured in the preseason and your team tanks to a top 3 pick?  Suddenly that 11th overall pick doesn't look as good as the next year's third overall. 

That's all it took the Chiefs to move up, and the Texans traded from 25 to 12 and gave up a 2018 1st. That would mortgage the Packers for the next 5 years? Giving our 2018 1st and our third would mortgage the team for 5 years? I'm not advocating doing it, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement. 

The Packers defense under Dom Capers relies on corners (or one) being isolated without help. We do not currently have a corner that allows us to do that. I personally think that one elite corner, as our defense stands right now, would give us a borderline top 10 defense. The DL is there, pass rush has been a sore spot.

To simplify it even further, look at what Lattimore has done for the Saints. Again, not advocating that we should have done it. I don't blame Ted for not moving up, I thought that was pretty clear in my OP. We know what Ted is, love it or not. I am getting pretty damn tired of it, but it's hard to complain when you make the playoffs 8 years in a row

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If you think the Packers had a realistic chance in hell at moving up from 29th overall to 11th overall in a way that wouldn't set them back 5 years given the draft capital it would have taken, I've got beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Texans didn't use that much to move up to the very next pick, all the way from 25. Don't think KC used that much, either.

19 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

That's all it took the Chiefs to move up, and the Texans traded from 25 to 12 and gave up a 2018 1st. That would mortgage the Packers for the next 5 years? Giving our 2018 1st and our third would mortgage the team for 5 years? I'm not advocating doing it, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement. 

The Packers defense under Dom Capers relies on corners (or one) being isolated without help. We do not currently have a corner that allows us to do that. I personally think that one elite corner, as our defense stands right now, would give us a borderline top 10 defense. The DL is there, pass rush has been a sore spot.

To simplify it even further, look at what Lattimore has done for the Saints. Again, not advocating that we should have done it. I don't blame Ted for not moving up, I thought that was pretty clear in my OP. We know what Ted is, love it or not. I am getting pretty damn tired of it, but it's hard to complain when you make the playoffs 8 years in a row

I'm not saying you don't have good points, but this year is proof that anything can happen to a team.  To trade away a future first round pick is a risk I would never be willing to take.  Mortgage our future is pretty extreme, but yeah, I certainly think it has the potential to.  Considering Rodgers getting hurt in the preseason instead of when he did would have us looking at 2-3 wins on the year. 

And I'm agreeing with you on Thompson.  Thompson's method absolutely works to bring a team to Championship level, but it doesn't work when the team is at a Championship level.  You cannot sustain talent when you are constantly picking 21st to 32nd overall in the draft.  What we have on the Packers roster right now is proof of that.  So yeah, he should be making moves, but making moves from 29 to 11 just aren't realistic. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Saints weren’t a top CB away from being a top 10 defense...but apparently some players are special enough to completely transform your defense.

Archived