Week 10: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Chargers

J-ALL-DAY

I thought we have gone enough time without any Niners talk so I'd fire this up earlier than usual.

If there is one team that can relate to the Niners in terms of injuries over the years it is the Chargers. And they are definitely going through it right now as we speak with missing some studs in Bosa, Williams, Allen and even Jackson amongst others. Herbert is obviously one of the best QBs in the league but there is only so much he can do with what he is working with. His YPA in the last three games have been 5.7, 5.7 and 4.2. He's attempted over 40 passes in each of those games while the rushing offense has been less than stellar. The Chargers rush defense has allowed back to back opponents to surpass 200 yards on the ground. The passing defense has been very stout though during the last three games and they seem to be playing better in that area. One thing despite all the passing attempts from Herbert, he hasn't taken many sacks. Only has taken six sacks in the last four games with a 191 passing attempts. So it will be interesting to see how well our pass rush can get after Herbert as it has taken a step back in the last three or so weeks. That needs to get going again if this team is to be a true contender.

The bye week really couldn't have come at a better time for this team. Schefty was saying earlier last week the Niners expect Mitchell, Deebo and Armstead to all return this week. Along with those three, I am interested to see if either of the two starting LBs will be back and how far along Verrett has gotten from the practices of the Rams week. I would get Verrett some time if he is ready but I wouldn't just out right start him. Get him about 8-10 snaps and then go from there. Greenlaw and Al-Shaair are going to be badly needed as this defense relies on the speed of the LBs to go sideline to sideline and blow up screen passes....Which teams run a bunch against us. 

CMC had 26 touches against the Rams and he was obviously electric and the best player on the field. But there is no reason for him to have more than 18 touches this week with Mitchell and Deebo likely returning. Shanny needs to be careful in how he uses CMC even though that is difficult with how versatile he is. With the Chargers having a very solid pass defense with a leaky run defense, it's pretty obvious what the game plan is going to be this week lol. I hope CMC gets around 13-14 rushes and Mitchell gets around 10-12 himself. This can be a true dominant 1-2 punch but Shanny just needs to distribute the touches. Deebo will be finally utilized more of a WR, something he hasn't been since the midway mark of 2021. Expect him to make a killing in the intermediate routes and have a big gainer or two. 

With the Niners getting healthier and the Chargers to be without their starting WRs, I think this is a game we should control from start to finish. It is time to put together a big win streak and win the division.

49ers 31

Chargers 17

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 4

This is going to be a huge game for the secondary. I wouldn't expect the pass rush to have a massive game. The good news is that the Chargers don't really have anyone that can stretch the field, which means that these guys should hopefully be able to play mostly a downhill game. That should fit right into someone like Hufanga's wheelhouse. 

• Like 3

I believe this is a winnable game as well. Like majority of you have mentioned they are missing their star receivers, so their main threats are Ekler, Everett and maybe Palmer. Contain Ekler and we will win. Similar to CMC he’s a running/pass catching threat. 

Our offense will definitely have to show up and take advantage. Is Mitchell going to play and I would imagine if he’s playing, he’s only going to get low (count) touches. Coming off a bye, hopefully Kyle was able to get a little creative now with CMC. What’s Kyle’s record coming off the bye? 

SF - 28 

LAC - 17

2 hours ago, Forge said:

This is going to be a huge game for the secondary. I wouldn't expect the pass rush to have a massive game. The good news is that the Chargers don't really have anyone that can stretch the field, which means that these guys should hopefully be able to play mostly a downhill game. That should fit right into someone like Hufanga's wheelhouse. 

Al-Shaair will be returning this week and if Greenlaw does as well, then the backers will have big games and plenty of opportunities to make plays. Herbert has had a very low YPA in his last three games as I mentioned in the OP so it's going to be a bunch of passes underneath. This is one of those games we need to get the Chargers in a early hole and force Herbert into some mistakes. I feel like we are about to go on a nice...VERY nice run the rest of the way and should handle business properly this game. Like last season, the team is starting to get healthier at the halfway mark. Let's hope it stays that way. 

• Like 1

We won't have a Sunday afternoon game for like a month. Bye week, SNF, MNF, then Sunday Nov 27th vs the Saints at 4 PM EST. I prefer the 4 PM games

This team can play with anyone. Unfortunately, that goes both ways. We're coming off a convincing win, bye week & so many players getting healthy so the arrow should be trending up.

Hope we get a good dose of Mitchell/CMC on the ground. Each should get about 12-15 carries. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

We are touchdown favorites. That seems high

It’s a rough line to have to set. We’re often terrible as favorites, but when we are not, we tend to lay the beat down. There’s a very high probability that we underperform or overperform that line by a touchdown and more.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

We won't have a Sunday afternoon game for like a month. Bye week, SNF, MNF, then Sunday Nov 27th vs the Saints at 4 PM EST. I prefer the 4 PM games

This team can play with anyone. Unfortunately, that goes both ways. We're coming off a convincing win, bye week & so many players getting healthy so the arrow should be trending up.

Hope we get a good dose of Mitchell/CMC on the ground. Each should get about 12-15 carries. 

Just go three time zones east, problem solved!

• Like 1