Remainder of the Season QB

Ghostnote

Commander QB  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB should finish the rest of the 2022 season?

• Tyler Heinicke
    • Carson Wentz
    • Sam Howell

Playing Heinicke likely wins us the most games and keeps the players engaged

Playing Wentz gives Rivera a chance to prove himself right, but even if he proves us right he will still be wrong because we lose the draft pick and both Wentz and Rivera will be gone next year

Playing Howell and Howell looking like a phenom on the Rivera coached team is likely the only way Rivera retains his job next year with the new owner

• Like 1

Howell should be the starter. We need to see what we have in him. Don't want to give up a 2nd round pick with Wentz and we know what we have in Heinicke.  Either way, even if we make the playoffs (BIG IF!) we are not going anywhere further. We will lose the wildcard playoff game and for what? We have seen this movie over and over again. Let the new owners know what they have in Howell now so they can plan accordingly for the April draft. Lets really think ahead instead of just the present.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rbcavalier said:

Howell should be the starter. We need to see what we have in him. Don't want to give up a 2nd round pick with Wentz and we know what we have in Heinicke.  Either way, even if we make the playoffs (BIG IF!) we are not going anywhere further. We will lose the wildcard playoff game and for what? We have seen this movie over and over again. Let the new owners know what they have in Howell now so they can plan accordingly for the April draft. Lets really think ahead instead of just the present.

I wanna see howell instead of wentz coming up. 

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Playing Heinicke likely wins us the most games and keeps the players engaged

Playing Wentz gives Rivera a chance to prove himself right, but even if he proves us right he will still be wrong because we lose the draft pick and both Wentz and Rivera will be gone next year

Playing Howell and Howell looking like a phenom on the Rivera coached team is likely the only way Rivera retains his job next year with the new owner

Episode 2 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

2 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Say start him least 2 games to see what’s up 

if howell isn’t a franchise guy he least could show he can make Th expandable next year 

exactly GIF

Now, I don’t expect Rivera to do that until we’re mathematically eliminated - if even then - but, I want to see Howell play at some point.

If it were up to me, I would’ve benched Heinicke after he threw the awful int last week & put in Howell and rolled with Howell the rest of the year in the way that Jay Gruden benched Kirk in 2014 after Kirk’s bad int vs the Titans in our territory right before halftime. Kirk never started a game the rest of the year, Colt McCoy did & then RG3.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

exactly GIF

Now, I don’t expect Rivera to do that until we’re mathematically eliminated - if even then - but, I want to see Howell play at some point.

If it were up to me, I would’ve benched Heinicke after he threw the awful int last week & put in Howell and rolled with Howell the rest of the year in the way that Jay Gruden benched Kirk in 2014 after Kirk’s bad int vs the Titans in our territory right before halftime. Kirk never started a game the rest of the year, Colt McCoy did & then RG3.

Who knows maybe he will surprise is . One thing for sure Texans and Atlanta are very winnable games with any qb we got . 

7 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Say start him least 2 games to see what’s up 

if howell isn’t a franchise guy he least could show he can make Th expandable next year 

I totally agree with Howell eventually getting playing time,

But your second statement is hard for me to understand....because Heinicke costs so much cap space?  He is dirt cheap.  We need 3 qbs.  Heinicke's contract isn't the problem, the problem is spending Wentz money on a below average qb.

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

I totally agree with Howell eventually getting playing time,

But your second statement is hard for me to understand....because Heinicke costs so much cap space?  He is dirt cheap.  We need 3 qbs.  Heinicke's contract isn't the problem, the problem is spending Wentz money on a below average qb.

He’s not going be cheap next year in free agency . 

17 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

He'll earn more, but his best situation is still with us. Is anyone else really going to pay him more than $5 to $7 per year with incentives? If we have a rookie QB to work with, then his salary doesn't matter much to have that insurance.

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He'll earn more, but his best situation is still with us. Is anyone else really going to pay him more than $5 to $7 per year with incentives? If we have a rookie QB to work with, then his salary doesn't matter much to have that insurance.

Just think he going find a starting opportunity. 

Edited by IHatesnyder

10 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Who knows maybe he will surprise is . One thing for sure Texans and Atlanta are very winnable games with any qb we got . 

I feel like most games are winnable for us if our QBs just execute the routine plays. They don’t do it enough so, I guess we’ll see what happens. I don’t take any team for granted anymore w/ how we’ve played for years as a team.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Doubt he earns much more than the $3.65 mil he’s making this year. At most maybe someone gives Heinicke the chance to earn $5 mil with incentives but that’s the most  we’d have to pay for Heinicke.

Also can’t forget Heinicke’s age, he’ll be 30 next year, so he’s no longer a developmental back up type & teams would choose a young developmental guy over him. Also, the main reason he’s our back up is Scott Turner. Now, I expect Rivera & his coaching staff are back next year even under new ownership but yeah, w/o Scott Turner I’m not even sure Heinicke is in the league tbh. Other teams don’t view him like Turner does.

Also, Most fans don’t understand that Terry makes Heinicke look better than what he is. Take away Terry & Heinicke is an awful QB. Terry makes a miraculous play or 2 every game that wins us a few games & some people actually think Heinicke is good. It’s crazy to me that people don’t see it’s Terry who’s making Heinicke look good & not that Heinicke is actually good.

3 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

I think the second tier qb market is very misunderstood.  It is particularly misunderstood at washington because rivera spent so much money on a below average qb.  Just because Rivera decided to overspend doesn't mean he had to.  Here are some QB contracts from 2022:

Winston- 2022 4m, 2023 11M, 8M
Mariota- 2022 4M, 2023 14.5M or exit for 6M cap hit
Trubisky- 2022 5M, 2023 10.6M or exit for cap hit of 2.6M
Tyrod Taylor- 2022 5M, 2023 10.6M or exit for 2.6 cap hit
Colt McCoy- 2022 6M, 2023 5M or exit for cap hit of 3.5M
Foles- 2022 4M, 2023 3.6 or exit for cap hit of 1.5M
Brissett- 2022 4.6M
Geno Smith- 2022 3.5M

No I would happily pay Heinicke any of these contracts to be a backup.  Ironically, I would have happily paid any of these quarterbacks these contracts instead of Wentz.  Imagine if we had Brissett and >20 million of cap space to play with.

• Like 1