7/23 Roster Moves (Gratz cut, Evans signed, Jones/Allen Activated)

Phire

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm always curious how some rules are skirted in the NFL. How is Sidney Jones eligible for the NFI or Non-Football injury list, I guess they're counting a pro-day for the NFL as a "workout"?

NFI is defined literally as injuries sustained outside of football... but in practice it means injuries sustained outside of NFL football. So if you are hurt in college, you can be designated in the NFL with a non-football injury. Willis McGahee spent his whole rookie year on NFI after his injury in college.

9 hours ago, Phire said:

But I'm not exactly sure what the difference between NFI and PUP are, but I'm guessing there are some short-term/long-term consequences or implications.

Im pretty sure the differences is that the PUP and NFI are the same  pretty much, they can go to meetings, lift-train at the facilities and use the medical facilities, but with the NFI you don't have to pay them there entire salary, the team declares it wasn't responsible for that players injury and if he doesn't come back from that injury, they dont have to pay them there entire salary with out any cap punishment or legal punishment. 

Example when when Plexico shot him self, i think the Giants said they were only going to pay him 1/4 of his salary if he didn't come back by a certain time and when he didn't the NFL backed the Giants and deemed  that him bringing the gun into the club "hindered" him  to get  to practicing and the requirements the team had for him to meet his contract. 

Yeah, that makes sense:

The non-football injury list is (again obviously) for players who suffered an injury away from the field that is keeping them from practicing with the team at the start of training camp. The rules are similar to the PUP list with one notable exception: The team has the option of not paying the NFI player’s base salary during the regular season (though it often works out some sort of deal to pay some or all of the player’s salary).

I think in some cases they do pay guys the full salary  even if he doesn't come back to,  if they are working there butt off. Willis McGahee was paid his full salary his rookie year(remember the Fiesta Bowl knee injury? worst) cause he did everything he could to come back, just to brutal of a injury and he just ran out of time/needed more time to heal so i believe they rewarded him for his effort despite not making it on the field. 

Archived