Week 9 Monday Night Football GDT: Ravens @ Saints

AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, Ray Reed said:

This front 7 is the best we’ve had since 2014 and I think they’re only going to get better.

If the secondary can stay healthy...man

Is Justin Houston our second most important defensive player for playoff success?!?! What a world.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

A lot of big nickel on his plate tonight and not just against TEs.

Wow, didn't realize just how much NCB Kyle Hamilton had played-

Ken's take here is interesting- https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/defensive-notes-week5-2022-2-2-2-2/

--The newfound depth at ILB and emergence of Kyle Hamilton allowed Macdonald to deploy a predominance of big nickel against the Saints without much concern for the offensive package (11, 12, or 13).  Normally, a 3rd WR on the field is said to “force the nickel”, but such offensive personnel did not force the Ravens to employ a 3rd CB on Monday.

Since the team’s biggest defensive weakness is now their 3rd CB (Brandon Stephens, Pepe Williams, Jalyn Armour-Davis), the emergence and playmaking of Hamilton as a SCB has been a revelation.  I expect we’ll see more of Hamilton as SCB until other teams figure out how to exploit him.--

Making successful use of Kyle Hamilton's height & wingspan at NCB against specific matchups would be awesome, but I don't see it working game in and game out. He'll never be able to consistently stay in phase against quicker slot options.

It obviously great to see him flash that kind of versatility though, he had a really good game. Robbed of his first career INT as well-

Let's hope he continues to stack these performances.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Given the amount I complain about the way we built the team/lack of weapons, feel it's only fair to say that last night, with the exception of a few high-leverage plays, looked very much like the kind of performance that backs up EDC's vision for the team. Defense was suffocating, running game was rolling, and even if the role-player pass-catchers weren't exactly gamebreakers, they were getting open and delivering, particularly on third downs. and where we left points on the table it came down more to some misses from Lamar rather than the other way around. 

Now, the caveat here is that I don't think anyone really doubts the ability for this version of the team to beat up on average or bad teams in the regular season but rather whether this will translate in January. But you'd still rather see it working than not. Great team win. 

Agreed. Though I think if Lamar has an elite WR, that play where Moses forces the fumble and Lamar scoops it up, likely ends up play of the year material.

Like could you imagine if that were a prime Larry Fitzgerald or Terrell Owens on the receiving end of that pass? That’s a catch, broken tackle, and a TD off of an unbelievable broken play.

But yeah this defense absolutely needed the injection of a tackle machine within it that has great athleticism. Queen would make the same plays as Roquan, but then get dragged for 5 yards so that it didn’t even matter what his trigger looked like.

Smith is the most impactful defensive addition since we added Calais Campbell a few years back. Houston is arguably the most impactful defensive force on the team this season, but Smith’s ability to get guys on the ground kept the defense on schedule. It allowed more 3rd and medium to long situations rather than the 3rd and short to medium situations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Something I think about every time i seen that 3rd and 1 play is how lucky we are to have a CB like Marlon who is that willing and able in run support.

He damn near beat Roquan to the play lol

Yeah and Marlon has absolutely been playing some lockdown coverage this season too. He was a little shaky last year IIRC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah and Marlon has absolutely been playing some lockdown coverage this season too. He was a little shaky last year IIRC.

Agreed. Him rebounding back to form this year after last season has been a vital development for this team. Especially with Peters being somewhat shaky so far

• 2 weeks later...