Week 10 GDT Broncos (3-5) @ Titans (5-3)

jolly red giant

3 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I wish when HCs are fired, it wasn't typical to completely overturn a staff. Our defensive staff has been amazing. Not just Evero, but the work our staff has done to get our rookie 4th round corner ready, or cast off linebackers ready, or 3rd and 4th string OLBs ready deserves so much praise. I wish we could keep them together.

It’s quite possible Evero would be kept as DC.  Especially since Evero would not likely get any HC consideration being his first year as DC.    It really depends on who the HC hire is.  

I mentioned it in the Roster thread but given Hackett’s familiarity with him - I wouldn’t be surprised if Paton puts a claim on Amari Rodgers - who was waived by the Pack today.    

We’re about to find out if Tom Compton has any T ability - hate that Turner is out, he was the last swing T with any track record or NFL success left on the roster.    I’d also say we should move to a more 3-step drop back O, but that kind of adaptability has been non existent so far so seems unlikely.  

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While with Spielman in Minnesota, George was part of a staff that made 3 HC hires - Brad Childress, Leslie Frazier and Mike Zimmer - all three were rookie HC hires and none of those three set the football world on fire, to be honest. While with the Dolphins, the staff inherited Dave Wandstedt, fired him their fourth year there after the first three the mustache were winning seasons and the subsequent hire was Nick Saban.

To be fair to George, his background is as a player talent evaluator - from scout to Asst GM/Director of Player Personnel - not in the coach/staff hiring role, on which most owners have as much, if not more, if not absolute, say over the GM FO staff. 

The search that ended with Hackett saw George cast a wide net, with a few expected names and a few surprises. The choice, as widely reported, came down to Hackett, O’Connell and Quinn. 

Now, O’Connell has looked good, very good, in Minny, no argument there, that would have been a good/great hire and George missed it. 

Dan Quinn, and there’s some things to like there I suppose, but overall his 6-season tenure in Atlanta was the definition of average - 43-42 - and 5-2 in the playoffs with 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons. But Mike Smith, who Quinn succeeded, had more success in his 7 seasons (66-46, 2008 AP COY).

Quinn’s best season - 2016 when Matt Ryan won MVP and they went to the SB -  he had Kyle as his OC and a staff that also had Matt LaFleur, Mike LaFleur, Bobby Turner and Mike McDaniel. Kyle was named Assistant COY and took the Niners job after the season. After Kyle & Co left, Quinn went 24-29 and was fired 5 games into the 2020 season.

I don’t get why so many in Broncos Country have such a hardon for the guy. Yes, retread coaches can work, and yes, he has done a nice job in Dallas with a team that has a stacked roster and is on national TV every week. But if he’s our next coach - and I won’t throw a fit about it - I wouldn’t expect more than the average HC (and average would be an upgrade after the Hackett, Vic and Vance debacles) proven to be when he doesn’t have an elite offensive staff. Remember, our problem is offense, not defense. 

Trust me, I would not change anything on defense. We struck gold there. I think Capers and Kollar had quite a hand in that. If I were in charge I'd extend everyone of the coaches right now with a substantial pay raise. 

Right now I'm not really worried about the HC. Our offensive staff is a mess. We let some great talent walk, (fired them) and replaced them with folks that have no business in the NFL. Who our HC is won't make a difference unless we fill the OC staff first.

Also, we need to stop the revisionist history on Vic. Yeah, he had his faults but he had areas he was superb also. One, I never saw any game where his players weren't ready to go. Secondly he and his staff were fantastic at developing talent, something we've sorely missed. We also need to recognize that in his 3rd year here our point differential went from a -123 to a +13. That's an incredible swing, something I figured would allow him to finish his contract. It didn't but comparing him to Vance or Hackett is not accurate at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While with Spielman in Minnesota, George was part of a staff that made 3 HC hires - Brad Childress, Leslie Frazier and Mike Zimmer - all three were rookie HC hires and none of those three set the football world on fire, to be honest. While with the Dolphins, the staff inherited Dave Wandstedt, fired him their fourth year there after the first three the mustache were winning seasons and the subsequent hire was Nick Saban.

To be fair to George, his background is as a player talent evaluator - from scout to Asst GM/Director of Player Personnel - not in the coach/staff hiring role, on which most owners have as much, if not more, if not absolute, say over the GM FO staff. 

The search that ended with Hackett saw George cast a wide net, with a few expected names and a few surprises. The choice, as widely reported, came down to Hackett, O’Connell and Quinn. 

Now, O’Connell has looked good, very good, in Minny, no argument there, that would have been a good/great hire and George missed it. 

Dan Quinn, and there’s some things to like there I suppose, but overall his 6-season tenure in Atlanta was the definition of average - 43-42 - and 5-2 in the playoffs with 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons. But Mike Smith, who Quinn succeeded, had more success in his 7 seasons (66-46, 2008 AP COY).

Quinn’s best season - 2016 when Matt Ryan won MVP and they went to the SB -  he had Kyle as his OC and a staff that also had Matt LaFleur, Mike LaFleur, Bobby Turner and Mike McDaniel. Kyle was named Assistant COY and took the Niners job after the season. After Kyle & Co left, Quinn went 24-29 and was fired 5 games into the 2020 season.

I don’t get why so many in Broncos Country have such a hardon for the guy. Yes, retread coaches can work, and yes, he has done a nice job in Dallas with a team that has a stacked roster and is on national TV every week. But if he’s our next coach - and I won’t throw a fit about it - I wouldn’t expect more than the average HC (and average would be an upgrade after the Hackett, Vic and Vance debacles) proven to be when he doesn’t have an elite offensive staff. Remember, our problem is offense, not defense. 

Trust me, I would not change anything on defense. We struck gold there. I think Capers and Kollar had quite a hand in that. If I were in charge I'd extend everyone of the coaches right now with a substantial pay raise. 

Right now I'm not really worried about the HC. Our offensive staff is a mess. We let some great talent walk, (fired them) and replaced them with folks that have no business in the NFL. Who our HC is won't make a difference unless we fill the OC staff first.

Also, we need to stop the revisionist history on Vic. Yeah, he had his faults but he had areas he was superb also. One, I never saw any game where his players weren't ready to go. Secondly he and his staff were fantastic at developing talent, something we've sorely missed. We also need to recognize that in his 3rd year here our point differential went from a -123 to a +13. That's an incredible swing, something I figured would allow him to finish his contract. It didn't but comparing him to Vance or Hackett is not accurate at all. 

Keep in mind Fangio was despised by his players (Derek Wolfe still trashes him every chance he gets) and his best result was 7-9 with his least talented roster. He whiffed badly on both OC hires and was terrible at game day management. Also strongly disagree that he always had the team ready to play, that may have been true in 2019 but it was not true in 2021. There is no reason to pine for a bad HC just because we now have a terrible HC. They still needed to fire Vic and he’s not missed by anyone in that locker room, the mistake was hiring Hackett. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

They still needed to fire Vic and he’s not missed by anyone in that locker room, the mistake was hiring Hackett. 

I agree - the failure to maximise the bye-week to make any difference to how the offence is operating all falls on Hackett. If there was any chance that Hackett was 'getting it' in terms of sorting the problem it is gone now after the debacle on Sunday. The offense has no identity - and the play-calling is a mess - and, most importantly, there are zero signs of improvement. While Wilson bears some blame - at the end of the day a coach has to maximise the skill set of the players at their disposal.

There is zero reason to keep Hackett any longer. Put Capers in interim charge, dump Hackett and Outten and giving Kubiak the reins of the offence to see if he is capable of doing anything with it. 

After the reigns of Joseph, Fangio and Hackett, what the Broncos now need is a John Fox type HC - someone who can stabilise a ship that is getting tossed around like a rag doll because of the incompetence of the people at the helm. Dan Quinn fits the bill - keep Evero (and give him a raise - any HC coming in would be daft to change the defensive staff given what they have done) - see what Kubiak can do (and replace him if he doesn't figure it out) and get Quinn to be a CEO type HC. With Quinn as HC this season (assuming the defence was playing as well as it is) - this team could be 7-2 or 8-1 (simply as a result of one extra TD per game) - and that is the really depressing part of all of this.

• Like 1

The Broncos need a HC who has done the job before. At this point, we need the "retread" coach. There are some young, exciting coaches out there as there always are, and I don't think any team should shy away from going after one but we need an experienced hand more than ever. Bring in Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Leslie Frazier. One of those guys seems to be the right choice for this team at this stage