The enigma that is Aaron Rodgers

Old Guy

This may be a bit long so apologies in advance.

Full disclosure, I've been a live long Packer fan. I was wearing a Bart Starr jersey when I was four years old. For whatever reason I always gravitated towards the Packers quarterbacks. The 70's and 80's were very rough but in the early 90's along came a guy named Favre. 

Favre was easy to root for, until he wasn't. For me, once Favre became a diva, I was for shipping his *** down the road. 

The first and only time I got a Packers first round pick correct was in 2005. Once Tennessee passed on the kid from Cal, I knew he was going to fall to the Packers, and we were taking him. Sure enough, it happened. Loved Aaron Rodgers and always believed he would be the next great Packers quarterback and he was. Again, until he turned into Favre.

The difference between Rodgers and Favre at the end of their respective Packers career are not subtle ones. Both were butt hurt because we drafted 'the next Packers quarterback!" Favre, according to reports shunned Rodgers. Rodgers to his credit didn't to the same to Love. Favre threatened retirement every offseason towards his end time here. He, to my knowledge, never trashed a teammate or the organization for not providing him 'enough talent!' Brett Faver went out and played, as hard as he could and never stopped slinging it or trusting his teammates. Compare that to Rodgers! Rookies don't know what they are doing. His body language on the field is of disgust and contempt as though many of his teammates are beneath his 'greatness!" As if they should not be on the field with him. 

Yesterday, I finally put my finger on why I've lost some interest in this version of the Packers. It's hard to be passionate about a team when you loathe the quarterback and what he has become. He's an arrogant prick who has no leadership qualities. He has no ability to lead men, when he continually tears them down. The 'last straw' for me with Rodgers was the pick he threw yesterday on a pass attempted for Bobby Tonny! Tonyan was open, by a wide margin by NFL standards, and Rodgers was late with the throw and threw it behind Tonyan for an easy pick. Replay showed Rodgers after the throw and you see him yelling, "come on Bobby!' Are you fricking kidding me! 

Leaders hold themselves accountable. Leaders pick others up with they make a mistake. Leaders heap praise on their teammates. Rodgers has none of those characteristics. Rodgers is all about Rodgers. 

Yesterday, 5 terrible throws by our quarterback turned a blowout win into another loss. At no point in the game did I ever see Rodgers once, point the finger at himself. I don't think narcissists are capable of such thoughts. This season is over and the person to blame refuses to look in the mirror. 

The sooner he's down the road, the better! The Packers organization will be better for it. Rant over!

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 4

I hate more on Murph and Gute for not trading old 12 when they had the chance.  They proved they clearly lack vision, but more so lack the balls to make the right call for the team when it's sitting right in front of you waiting to be made.  Kind of like old 12 in the past few years, lacks the decision making to make the play when it's clearly sitting wide open for a move the chains gain.  

• Like 1

Instead, they both get sacked for a big loss.  12 still gets paid and he hasn't gotten us to the big game in over a decade.  I think i's time for the board to ask Murph to retire with some face to save and begin thinking on who might be a real good choice to replace Gute.  Impossible to hold his majesty Rodgers accountable, but you can hold these two accountable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You hated Favre too, until you didn't. Vikings love the Packers sloppy seconds. 

I'm a Bears fan not a Vikings fan. Truth, I hated Favre his entire career. Thought he was pretty fake with his good old boy he's just a kid out there garbage. I actually liked Rodgers in the beginning of his career because he seemed at least to be a decent guy and somewhat humble compared to Favre. The last couple of years though, wow, my dislike for Rodgers is faaaaaar more extreme than it ever was for Favre. 

• Like 2

I know Murphy has said Aaron is "complicated" and Aaron surely likes to think of himself that way, but he seems pretty simple to me: he has a giant ego built up from years of hard-work and success and that has been and still is what is holding him back.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, incognito_man said:

I know Murphy has said Aaron is "complicated" and Aaron surely likes to think of himself that way, but he seems pretty simple to me: he has a giant ego built up from years of hard-work and success and that has been and still is what is holding him back.

The struggle is real for real ones.  Hard to hate too hard on the man in the arena IMO