How are the rookies doing?

Louis Friend

It's half way through their first season.

So how do you feel about them so far?

1. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE - Starter

1.b Jameson Williams, WR- Out

2. Josh Paschal, DL- Depth

3. Kerby Joseph, S- Starter

5. James Mitchell, TE- Depth

6. Malcolm Rodriguez, LB- Starter

6.b James Houston, DL- Practice Squad

7. Chase Lucas, DB- Out

I am trying not to drink anyone's kool-aid but Brad Holmes has talked a lot about building for the long-term.  That patience is starting to pay off.  Aidan Hutchinson has been a starter from Day 1.  Pascal and Joseph are making big impacts now that they are on the field.  Mitchell is carving out a role for himself and it may continue to get bigger.  Things will really get interesting when Jameson Williams starts getting meaningful playing time.

This isn't just about this year's draft class.  He added Penei Sewell (Round 1), Amon Ra St Brown (Round 4) and Jerry Jacobs (UDFA) who were instant impact players.  Alim McNeil (Round 3) has become a legit starting DT.  Derrick Barnes (Round 4) is finally starting to put things together and has become a good role player. The jury is still out on Ifeatu Melifonwu (I don't think they should have moved him to safety personally).  He should take some heat for Levi Onzuwurike but no GM is going to hit on every pick.  

I think we all know knew he inherited a really bad roster but maybe we didn't really understand how devoid of talent our roster really was-especially on defense.  He has put together two pretty good drafts.  It is going to take at least one more good draft class for the Lions to turn the corner.  Given the track record of Brad Holmes and the draft picks we have in the 2023 draft, I suspect he will finally put the Lions in a position for sustained success.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

11 games in the book. Thanksgiving has passed. 6 games left of the season. 

1. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE

31 tackles 5.5 sacks 2 INTs 1 FR. Defensive POTW. Long term starter. ROTY?

Aidan so far has surpassed every other EDGE in the draft and looks like the top draft pick. 

1.b Jameson Williams, WR-

Should be activated soon. Long term starter.

Jameson is ready for action. The Lions are ready for him. Lions fans are ready for him. Cannot wait to see what he shows before the season is over. 

2. Josh Paschal, DL-

7 tackles in limited playing time. Should be back soon.

Paschal hasn't looked bad when on the field. But the best ability is availability and so far Holmes is missing on that aspect with his second round DL picks. 

3. Kerby Joseph, S-

47 tackles, 5 PD 3 INT 2 FF. Defensive POTW. Long term starter.

Right up there with Kyle Hamilton and Jaquan Brisker as far as Safeties in the draft. Has outplayed Nick Cross who went one pick before him. 

5. James Mitchell, TE-

5 rec on 5 targets for 48 yards 1 TD. Should see more shots with Hockenson traded away.

Has not had much opportunity but has made the most with what he has been given. But that's exactly what Mitchell is. He's just a TE that does everything adequately but doesn't stand out in any one aspect. I'm hoping Goff looks his way some more as the season rolls on. 

6. Malcolm Rodriguez, LB-

64 tackles 1 sack 2 PD 1 FF 1 FR. Long term starter.

Best value pick in the draft? Absolute stud. 

6.b James Houston, DL

2 tackles 2 sacks 1 FR in 5 snaps. 

would like to see him on the active roster to finish the season out. Give him an extended look. 

7. Chase Lucas, DB-

2 tackles in very limited playing time.

• 1 month later...

Per Twitter-

PFF’s Highest Graded Edge Defenders Weeks 11-17:

1. DAL DeMarcus Lawrence - 90.7

2t. DET Aidan Hutchinson - 90.1

2t. CLE Myles Garrett - 90.1

4. NWE Josh Uche - 89.9

5. DET James Houston IV - 89.4

DET Rookies have been two of the best EDs in the NFL the last month and a half.

He isn't a rookie but Ifeatu Melifonwu improved quite a bit in his second game.  He might be one of those guys that needs to see the field more than he has to tap his potential.  If his football skills catch up to his physical skills he will become a very good player.  Right now, I would settle for a decent #2 or #3 Safety

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Per Twitter-

4. NWE Josh Uche - 89.9

I can honestly say that Brad Holmes has put together the most impactful draft class that can remember for the Lions.  The production from top-to-bottom is pretty amazing.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Per Twitter-

4. NWE Josh Uche - 89.9

I'd still like to see us add someone else at Edge early on. Houston and Hutch can be your chess pieces and then you just have a deep group of rookie, Cominsky and Paschal in a rotation. We should eventually be moving off of the Okwara's and/or Charles Harris. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd still like to see us add someone else at Edge early on. Houston and Hutch can be your chess pieces and then you just have a deep group of rookie, Cominsky and Paschal in a rotation. We should eventually be moving off of the Okwara's and/or Charles Harris. 

If Miles Murphy is there with our early pick he would be a huge asset.  Miles Murphy=Cameron Jordan.  He and Aidan Hutchinson would be a devastating combination.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I didn't notice Romeo in the game and had to check to see if he was inactive. I could see us releasing Brockers/Romeo/Harris and adding both an IDL and depth at the position either in draft or FA. 

3 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

If Miles Murphy is there with our early pick he would be a huge asset.  Miles Murphy=Cameron Jordan.  

I've been watching some Myles Murphy film. He seems to be a DL that we could move around for different matchups, not strictly a pass rusher. A more talent Paschal with better rushing ability. 

1.6- Myles Murphy, EDGE- Can play multiple positions and help disguise defensive packages

1.17- Joey Porter Jr CB- starting Corner day 1

2.46- Siaki Ika DT- Great run stopping interior lineman who can also rush the passer. Starting DT day 1.

2.59- Cooper Beebe OG- can plug in between Ragnow/Sewell for the next 5 years, starting RG day 1.

3.78- Jaylon Jones CB- The more I watch him the more I love him. Has all the tools who hope for. Needs to put it all together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I didn't notice Romeo in the game and had to check to see if he was inactive. I could see us releasing Brockers/Romeo/Harris and adding both an IDL and depth at the position either in draft or FA. 

We are also going to have to address CB in a big way this off-season with the way they're playing Okudah (or not playing him). Mike Hughes getting more reps, Jacobs is a regular starter. Okudah playing some ST as a gunner. I can see us bringing Hughes back while adding someone in the early rounds. 

Brockers is for sure a goner. I think we'll be cutting one of the two (Harris or Romeo). I can see us trading JO for late round compensation. I think he's going to want out and I don't think the Lions will fight him on that. They sure as heck won't want to pay him $10M but they'll be on the hook for over $5M either way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

If Miles Murphy is there with our early pick he would be a huge asset.  Miles Murphy=Cameron Jordan.  He and Aidan Hutchinson would be a devastating combination.

With our current position, I’m hoping we can land Murphy. Then add a mountain in the middle to help shore up that run d. Murphy and some high level dbs would be great.

as bad as our d has been this year, I feel like it’s really close.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We are also going to have to address CB in a big way this off-season with the way they're playing Okudah (or not playing him). Mike Hughes getting more reps, Jacobs is a regular starter. Okudah playing some ST as a gunner. I can see us bringing Hughes back while adding someone in the early rounds. 

Brockers is for sure a goner. I think we'll be cutting one of the two (Harris or Romeo). I can see us trading JO for late round compensation. I think he's going to want out and I don't think the Lions will fight him on that. They sure as heck won't want to pay him $10M but they'll be on the hook for over $5M either way. 

Agreed entirely. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I've been watching some Myles Murphy film. He seems to be a DL that we could move around for different matchups, not strictly a pass rusher. A more talent Paschal with better rushing ability. 

1.6- Myles Murphy, EDGE- Can play multiple positions and help disguise defensive packages

1.17- Joey Porter Jr CB- starting Corner day 1

2.46- Siaki Ika DT- Great run stopping interior lineman who can also rush the passer. Starting DT day 1.

2.59- Cooper Beebe OG- can plug in between Ragnow/Sewell for the next 5 years, starting RG day 1.

3.78- Jaylon Jones CB- The more I watch him the more I love him. Has all the tools who hope for. Needs to put it all together. 

This is basically what I want. Murphy and ika would be fantastic and that dline would be good for a long time.

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Given Romeo Okwara's pass-rushing skills, a post June-1 trade doesn't seem out of the question.  He might be surprsingly valuable to a team that wants to load up for a playoff run.

• Like 1