2022 GDT Da Steelers 2-6 Host Da Saints 3-6

Steeler Hitman

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Definitely a weird situation. How did this not come up in his physical?

As I understood it, the Commanders knew of this so the Steelers knew of this before trading for him.  Why they would trade for him in this condition is nuts but...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Believe it or not some running backs are better at gaining more than what’s blocked for them than others. 

That's a true statement. Yet, it's also true that different running backs will suffer the same fate with poor blocking schemes and execution.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

As I understood it, the Commanders knew of this so the Steelers knew of this before trading for him.  Why they would trade for him in this condition is nuts but...

Completely idiotic, especially given his salary next year.

38 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

That's a true statement. Yet, it's also true that different running backs will suffer the same fate with poor blocking schemes and execution.

Agreed, but why not play it out? Give Warren a full half of football as the workhorse. We’re 2-6, if it doesn’t work out who cares. I don’t think Warren is some hidden gem who’s just waiting to be unleashed but maybe he can provide a spark to the running game. Even just a little more consistency there could help Pickett and the rest of the offense out a ton.

We’ve seen 8 games of Najee looking like crap. Let’s give Warren a shot instead of just saying “well any running back would look bad in this situation so let’s just keep running Najee into a wall and hope something changes”.

Edited by bigben07MVP

8 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed, but why not play it out? Give Warren a full half of football as the workhorse. We’re 2-6, if it doesn’t work out who cares. I don’t think Warren is some hidden gem who’s just waiting to be unleashed but maybe he can provide a spark to the running game. Even just a little more consistency there could help Pickett and the rest of the offense out a ton.

We’ve seen 8 games of Najee looking like crap. Let’s give Warren a shot instead of just saying “well any running back would look bad in this situation so let’s just keep running Najee into a wall and hope something changes”.

I am not saying Najee is better than Warren, or vice-versa. Maybe Warren has more burst and vision than Harris. Let's say that's a given. Give me a few 1st and 10 play calls, RB rush right that gets more that 2 yards given the current scheme and blocking. Honestly, do you think anyone is doing better?

Edited by cjfollett

8 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Honestly, do you think anyone is doing better?

Is this a serious question? Do I think someone could do better than Najee who averages a pathetic 1.3 yards after contact (good for 89th in the league)? Yes

Again, believe it or not but some running backs are better at gaining more than what is blocked for them than others. There’s running backs with better vision, more decisiveness, more explosiveness, and better contact balance out there. Crazy concept I know.

Is Warren that guy? Idk, but it’s worth giving him a legit shot.

Im over the Najee discussion. It’s hilarious seeing the extent people will go to make excuses for him. I have made my point. The guy has terrible vision, runs like he has a piano on his back, and refuses to run north/south despite adding a bunch of muscle in the offseason and weighing 250 lbs+. If you think it’s because he’s injured, that’s fine but if that’s the case they need to shut him down until he’s healthy (still not sure how you can use a foot injury as an excuse for his terrible vision which he had last year when he was healthy).

Knowing Tomlin and Canada they will keep pounding him for 1-2 yard carries on 1st and 2nd down the rest of the season regardless of if he’s healthy or not. This isn’t me defending Canada but you need a semblance of a running game to make his offense work and help out a rookie QB and we don’t have that. Even a small upgrade from what we’re getting out of this version of Najee could go a long way.

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It’s hilarious seeing the extent people will go to make excuses for him.

Again, no one is making excuses. Poor blocking, stacked boxes, and crap playcalling would hurt any RB. It’s not an excuse to say he’s hurt, it’s a statement of fact.

The problem is stats bear that Warren sees the same fate with about a .5 yard more. 

Have you guys been watching what Kenneth Walker has been doing in Seattle this year? This is what I’m talking about, no one can tackle this guy. His vision and contact balance are ELITE. Some of the runs early in this clip are well blocked but there’s plenty of him just shrugging dudes off and exploding for big plays on his own in there too. He’s a top 5 back in the league already IMO and he’s only played 8 games.

Just frustrating, this guy was drafted 17 spots after Najee (and one year later). Do I think he could do better than Najee in the same situation? Without question. So many uber talented RBs in their first and second year right now and ours is looking like a swing and a miss.