The 2023 Offense Discussion

WindyCity

side note - we only save 6 million next year by cutting whitehair. would a move like signing Elgton Jenkins to play LG, move Whitehair to C, then have Lucas be super sub C/G seem to work? would allow us to still potentially improve 2 positions and leave a top-3 round draft pick for RT

18 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

side note - we only save 6 million next year by cutting whitehair. would a move like signing Elgton Jenkins to play LG, move Whitehair to C, then have Lucas be super sub C/G seem to work? would allow us to still potentially improve 2 positions and leave a top-3 round draft pick for RT

I was on board with the idea of cutting Whitehair but given how much cap space we already have I would keep him for another season...I think you could then sign Jenkins to play RT and then sign Pocic/Bradbury to play centre...a starting line of Jones/Whitehair/Pocic(Bradbury)/Jenkins/Jenkins would be a strong starting 5 then you can have Patrick as a backup at centre who also gives some guard cover and Borom at OT.

• Like 1

It's a very hard offseason to predict since we have so much cap space and a good number of draft picks.

Offensively I'd rank the needs as:

1. OC

2. RT (I was rooting for Borom but it's been rough)

3. WR (We'll see how claypool develops, or if Velus can not be a bust.... but odds are we need a #1 yet)

4. TE (we need more production from the position)

5. RB (only if Monty goes)

6/7. OL depth and QB2

Of that list, I think #1 and #2 are absolute MUST HAVES, and  #3 is something you're probably taking at least one swing on in the draft again.

The issue that for overall team needs I have it:

1/2. OC - 3T

3. WLB

4. MLB

5. DL (this might even be multiple guys)

6. RT

7. CB

We can fill much of the holes with FAs, but we're already talking 7-9 players in before addressing the offenses 3rd biggest need, going on a pure "team needs" approach.

• Like 1

I really don’t know how the OT class is going to shake out.

All the teams involved could clear enough space to retain their guys. If the market gets picked over it likely becomes draft need 1.

We simply cannot afford to not have any drop back pass game because our OL sucks.

I have it: 

1/1a RT and C

3 WR3 

4 TE

5 RB2 (assumes Montgomery gone)

Conklin is the guy I keep looking at here. I’ll be pretty surprised if we don’t sign a high end RT in FA. As far as center goes, what we do will depend on what (if anything) we see out of Patrick the 2nd half of the season. If he can show to be adequate then I think we fill that spot with a draft pick heir apparent. I don’t think we’ll see Doug Kramer as a viable starting candidate for 2023.

WR3 I think we go with a vet FA and a mid-rounder unless someone falls in R2. That might even end up being Pringle. I’ll be surprised if we go WR in R1 after the Claypool move.

TE is a place I think we could see us make a decent move in FA. There are a lot of capable TEs set to hit the market.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I have it: 

1/1a RT and C

3 WR3 

4 TE

5 RB2 (assumes Montgomery gone)

Conklin is the guy I keep looking at here. I’ll be pretty surprised if we don’t sign a high end RT in FA. As far as center goes, what we do will depend on what (if anything) we see out of Patrick the 2nd half of the season. If he can show to be adequate then I think we fill that spot with a draft pick heir apparent. I don’t think we’ll see Doug Kramer as a viable starting candidate for 2023.

WR3 I think we go with a vet FA and a mid-rounder unless someone falls in R2. That might even end up being Pringle. I’ll be surprised if we go WR in R1 after the Claypool move.

TE is a place I think we could see us make a decent move in FA. There are a lot of capable TEs set to hit the market.

I have the same list but switched WR3 and TE.

I think a really good TE allows the Bears offense to thrive. Kmet had a hell of a game last week but it was the first TD(s) he scored since week 12 and 13 of his rookie year. As a starter he is meh but as a number 2 Kmet is a damn good option. He is a plus blocker overall so he fits more into the Bears' offense NOW than he did at any point in his career. With how it looks like we might be operating out of 12 personnel so much the number one TE needs to be a better receiving threat than Kmet.

C has been a disaster. If we are moving on from Borom then I want him in the competition at LG. He is good in the run game and seems to just struggle on an island with speed, so a move inside should allow him to make a significant boost. Bring in a vet to compete with him, he hasn't earned the spot. But he is a 330 pound guy with movement skills, getting him - Pocic - Jenkins and you might have the best runblocking IOL in the NFL at season's end. Throw in Jones and Conklin at the bookends and just watch the mayhem. If/when Conklin misses time the FA vet can step in at LG and Borom bounces out to RT for a time.

I am still of the opinion that you roll QB and HB cap hits together so I have no issue spending on a RB. Hunt is the person I'm targeting realistically, unless Getsy thinks Herbert can be a really good receiver. Considering in college he didn't even get 1 catch per game and has continued that trend so far I see no reason to assume he will ever be.

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was on board with the idea of cutting Whitehair but given how much cap space we already have I would keep him for another season...I think you could then sign Jenkins to play RT and then sign Pocic/Bradbury to play centre...a starting line of Jones/Whitehair/Pocic(Bradbury)/Jenkins/Jenkins would be a strong starting 5 then you can have Patrick as a backup at centre who also gives some guard cover and Borom at OT.

Has Jenkins picked it up the last few weeks? I haven't really sat and watched much more the highlights from (or mostly against) GB lately. He started out rough earlier in the year but really most of their offense was doing poorly.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Has Jenkins picked it up the last few weeks? I haven't really sat and watched much more the highlights from (or mostly against) GB lately. He started out rough earlier in the year but really most of their offense was doing poorly.

He has been awesome. Legit should be in the conversation for the Pro Bowl.

• Like 1

1. Jack Conklin-they could keep him, but they have huge money at OG and Wills coming up soon. Pocic at C may be their focus.

2. Orlando Brown-I think they are likely to keep him off the market even having a down year, they do not have many options.

3. Jawaan Taylor-Tight on space, paid Robinson, have a 2nd round pick waiting to play, I think it is likely he hits the market.

4. Kaleb McGary-They have the cash and would be surprised if he left.

5. George Fant-Likely staying but they gave Brown a 2 year deal.

6. Mike McGlinchey-Likely hits the market

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll be surprised if we go WR in R1 after the Claypool move.

the only way i see us going WR in R1 is if we win ~50% of our remaining games, end up picking in the teens somewhere, or trade down, and all the top DL and OL guys are of the board. this year's WR aren't as good as last year's, so i expect them to start going off the board in the middle of R1. So, would poles rather grab the #1 WR in the draft, or the #4 DL or #3 OL. I could still see him leaning trenches, but if he thinks he could flip the pick for more ammo, could see him hammer the lines in FA

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I thought about the E Jenkins to RT move, but i just think moving him back to LG where he was an all-pro would be overall better that him being ~fine~ at RT

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has been awesome. Legit should be in the conversation for the Pro Bowl.

Makes the Packers woes even sweeter then.

Hopefully Rodgers retires to **** on GB and that keeps them from being able to afford Jenkins. If he doesn't fall off then sign him.

You know what? Going full homer mode. Get him, Pocic and Conklin. Trying for the 90s Cowboys OL.

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I thought about the E Jenkins to RT move, but i just think moving him back to LG where he was an all-pro would be overall better that him being ~fine~ at RT

I think it gives you options…nothing to say he can’t play RT in year one with Whitehair at LG then year two when Whitehair is out of contract he moves to LG and it gives us more time to find a RT long term.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

1. Jack Conklin-they could keep him, but they have huge money at OG and Wills coming up soon. Pocic at C may be their focus.

2. Orlando Brown-I think they are likely to keep him off the market even having a down year, they do not have many options.

3. Jawaan Taylor-Tight on space, paid Robinson, have a 2nd round pick waiting to play, I think it is likely he hits the market.

4. Kaleb McGary-They have the cash and would be surprised if he left.

5. George Fant-Likely staying but they gave Brown a 2 year deal.

6. Mike McGlinchey-Likely hits the market

I love Conklin the player but the injury history would really concern me...outside of that I would still prefer Jenkins at RT for a season over these other guys.

The more I look at the TE & WR group for free agency the less I want any of these dudes...I would rather spend money up front and on the defence unless some actual talent is released this offseason...

The only guy who jumps off the page as a potential cut is Tyler Higbee with the Rams...they barely use the TE and they could save over $4 million in cutting him...given they are projected to only have $5 million in space they might have to make that move...other than that there are just not a lot of obvious cuts that won't kill a team in dead money.