The 2023 Offense Discussion

WindyCity

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I look at the TE & WR group for free agency the less I want any of these dudes...I would rather spend money up front and on the defence unless some actual talent is released this offseason...

The only guy who jumps off the page as a potential cut is Tyler Higbee with the Rams...they barely use the TE and they could save over $4 million in cutting him...given they are projected to only have $5 million in space they might have to make that move...other than that there are just not a lot of obvious cuts that won't kill a team in dead money.

Wouldn't be a bad target if he gets cut.

Another cut candidate I have my eye on Michael Thomas who may have played his last down as a Saint. Dude has been on IR most of the last couple seasons and NO may look to cut ties given their salary cap situation and that they have a nice young WR in Olave 

If we're looking to get a number 1 without having to invest a whole lot then Thomas is thay guy who can still be a dominant player when healthy 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I thought about the E Jenkins to RT move, but i just think moving him back to LG where he was an all-pro would be overall better that him being ~fine~ at RT

I think E. Jenkins was better than “fine” at RT when he played there, though I agree he’s been better inside. But, he’s a huge upgrade outside too, and if he was at RT for a year while Whitehair plays out the 2023 year on his deal it gives us a ton of flexibility heading into 2024 in terms of what we’d need to bring in to replace Whitehair should a developmental guy at either LG or RT not be ready to step in. With Jenkins in house we could simply add the best player and not have it have to be the best guard or tackle. Conklin is still my top RT target if he hits the market, but Jenkins would be a great get too.

A lot of the discussion about OL has assumed Braxton Jones is gonna be our LT going forward, and at least for now I’m on board with that. I think if he can improve his anchor he’s got the tools to be really good there. He’s had some bumps in the road this year for sure, but he hasn’t looked like a 5th round FCS rookie at all to me. 

I think the Bears should offer a real contract to Odell Beckham for the rest of this season and 2 additional seasons.

Real money, real guarantees, and make him say no.

We have the cash, he has said he wants a multi year deal, and if we are going to go all in on Fields let’s jump the line and get frisky.

2.25 years 45 million/25 guaranteed

Make him turn that down to chase a ring for 2 million with Buffalo.

Risky? Sure, but we are the big stack at the table and double the next guy.

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Wouldn't be a bad target if he gets cut.

Another cut candidate I have my eye on Michael Thomas who may have played his last down as a Saint. Dude has been on IR most of the last couple seasons and NO may look to cut ties given their salary cap situation and that they have a nice young WR in Olave 

If we're looking to get a number 1 without having to invest a whole lot then Thomas is thay guy who can still be a dominant player when healthy 

Thomas was a guy I thought of straight away but after doing some digging his dead money is insane so I doubt they move him.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the Bears should offer a real contract to Odell Beckham for the rest of this season and 2 additional seasons.

We have the cash, he has said he wants a multi year deal, and if we are going to go all in on Fields let’s jump the line and get frisky.

Yep, this was something I threw out there a few weeks ago too. The Bears aren't trying to win now, and can put him on IR and just let him heal and get an idea of the offense. Then next year there is OBJ/Claypool/Mooney at the X, Y, and Z respectively. That's a hell of a trio. For my mock I almost tied him and Saquon together since they're so close.

If he becomes a drama queen or Fields is getting a massive deal after his rookie contract is up he can either play at an acceptable rate or move on. Regardless, Chicago need to try to help Fields develop as much as possible before throwing a megadeal at him.

23 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely want to see if we continue being the ground and pound offense in 2023. Right now -

Fields is 11th in rushing yards

Herbert is 13th in rushing yards

Monty is 27th in rushing yards.

No other team has two players in the top 15.

It is great to see that type of production out of the three of them...Monty doesn't have the rushing yards but he has been invaluable in pass pro...I suspect if we do keep him this offseason that will be the main reason for it as Herbert can't be trusted when it really matters right now.

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pass.  He had a nice stretch in LA on a loaded team, but hasn't really been consistently good in a long while.  Coming off lay off and injury.

He was at two different places that didn't want him around anymore.  I don't want to be third.