2022 Heisman Talk

beekay414

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, I think I stopped caring about the Heisman roughly 10 years ago, and really I don't know why. It just doesn't move the needle much/if at all for me personally.

I used to be able to name every winner from Jay Berwanger to Lamar Jackson. Now I have to look up who won the award because of what you just said. I just like talking about it and posting stat lines for guys. I'm pushing hard for Drake Maye this year tho. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I used to be able to name every winner from Jay Berwanger to Lamar Jackson. Now I have to look up who won the award because of what you just said. I just like talking about it and posting stat lines for guys. I'm pushing hard for Drake Maye this year tho. 

Yeah, maybe I'm getting old, but the fun of the old system was the pageantry of the invitation, the regional factors, how votes would "split" and who would win the "most 2nd place votes" often won the whole thing, etc.

I think the lack of parity has led us here. Essentially it's either your best SEC player, some Oklahoma QB that I hate on all year because they don't play defense in that conference, or someone who is a legitimately transcendent and fun player to watch that I enjoy seeing get recognition, unless they're a total DBag like Johnny Manziel or RGIII...so I guess that leaves Mariota and Lamar. 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, maybe I'm getting old, but the fun of the old system was the pageantry of the invitation, the regional factors, how votes would "split" and who would be win the "most 2nd place votes" often won the whole thing, etc.

I think the lack of parity has led us here. Essentially it's either your best SEC player, some Oklahoma QB that I hate on all year because they don't play defense in that conference, or someone who is a legitimately transcendent and fun player to watch that I enjoy seeing get recognition, unless they're a total DBag like Johnny Manziel or RGIII...so I guess that leaves Mariota and Lamar. 

I know Mariota was amazingly efficient in 2014 but I lost all hope for the award when Melvin Gordon didn't even come close to him. Believe Mariota doubled him up in points. Yes, Mariota deserved to win it, obviously (58 Total TDs, 5200 total yards).

343 carries, 2567 yards, 7.5 YPC, 29 TD doesn't win it but the next year 395/2219/5.6/28 wins it haha. Just piss poor timing for Gordon to be historic.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

I know Mariota was amazingly efficient in 2014 but I lost all hope for the award when Melvin Gordon didn't even come close to him. Believe Mariota doubled him up in points. Yes, Mariota deserved to win it, obviously (59 Total TDs, 5100 total yards).

343 carries, 2567 yards, 7.5 YPC, 29 TD doesn't win it but the next year 395/2219/5.6/28 wins it haha. Just piss poor timing for Gordon to be historic.

I actually was upset when Keenan Reynolds didn't even get an invitation to NYC. Similar reasons...he was behind Derrick Henry so I get it to a point, but still. 

I’ve come around to the idea that if there is an Ohio State player that is worthy of the Heisman, it’s Marvin Harrison. He’s the freakiest of freak receivers and the best player on their team. So if the voters want to vote for the best player on a playoff team and that’s what the award is, he would be the Ohio State representative in my mind. I know it’s a quarterback award but to me it would be like the Devonta Smith/Mac Jones situation, although Harrison doesn’t have the same stats that Smith had. If we aren’t just factoring in the top few teams though, I think you have to like Drake Maye, Caleb Williams and a couple other guys over Stroud. We will see how this season ends up, if Ohio State wins out, I think Stroud is your favorite, although I’m not sure he should necessarily be the top guy. Even a guy like Jalin Hyatt. A lot of names just aren’t being considered as they should.

• Like 1

Weird similarities to 2006 when Troy Smith won the heisman.

His competition was Darren McFadden and Brady Quinn, but he locked it up beating Michigan when they were undefeated.

Strouds competition is Corum and Duggar.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-2006.html

Edited by candyman93

40 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If USC wins out, Caleb Williams deserves it. The Maye train died last night.

The only thing Caleb Williams has over Stroud is 500 yards more passing.

He’s in a worse conference has a loss and if OSU beats Michigan- That’s Strouds heisman moment.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The only thing Caleb Williams has over Stroud is 500 yards more passing.

He’s in a worse conference has a loss and if OSU beats Michigan- That’s Strouds heisman moment.

And about 250 yards rushing (so 750 total yards) while also carrying a much worse team on his back but nvm about that.

And how the hell do we know the Pac 12 is worse than the B1G this year? Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, the B1G is trash.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And about 250 yards rushing (so 750 total yards) while also carrying a much worse team on his back but nvm about that.

And how the hell do we know the Pac 12 is worse than the B1G this year? Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, the B1G is trash.

Illinois isn't trash. Maybe not great, but they're still average at absolute worst. I would say they're above average though. 

Still, those three you named are better than every team in the PAC12 except USC (only for Penn State). I'm not going to say "if Team A beats Team F, then Player G wins the Heisman" bc we know it's a stat trophy. They need to win and put up stats. IMO, it's Caleb's to lose bc he's got an easier test. Michigan's defense is pretty damn good so I'm not expecting CJ to have great numbers.