HB 1st Mock Offseason- How to fix the Raiders

Humble_Beast

here's a brief mock offseason:

Coaching- we keep the same staff. This might not be popular but we can't keep changing the coaching staff every year. Sean Payton is enticing tho 

Trades: Darren Waller to Packers for a 2nd rounder. I think we trade Waller for a Day 2 pick in this offseason. Use his salary to pay Jacobs, and use a pick to help the defense.

Players brought back: 

• Jacobs- 4y 44m- offense is ran through him. This deal will take him through his prime. 4th year will have no dead cap. Our big 3 on offense will be Adams, Jacobs, and Hunter
  • Rock - 3y 24m- he's been solid. considering our defense has been a joke and lead the league with fewest sacks
  • Johnson- 2y 4m- stud blocking FB. good fit in this system, helping JJ have a career year 
  • Moreau= 1y 2m- teams seems to like him. We give him a shot to be the TE1. Prove it deal 
  • Harmon- 1y 1.5m- he's good depth. prefer him as a 3rd safety, cheap vet who knows the system 
  • Jaylon Brown- 1y 1.5m- dirt cheap for a rangy LB. I would bring him back to provide depth and can be a solid starter 

Cut: B Bolden, Simpson = 4m saving

reworked deals: James, Nichols, Jones- they cost too much to cut. We need to rework their deal and save around 10-15m in cap space 

So basically Jacobs salary will be replacing Wallers contract. We nab a draft asset and pay for one starter in Rock. Everyone else is super cheap. All other free agents can walk 

We will only have like 35m in cap space. 

• Daron Payne - 4y 60m fixes our weakest unit (25)- hitting his prime and give a great boost to our DL. Paying big money, but smart to get a difference maker in the interior of the DL.
  • Isiah Wynn- 2y 10m - Pats guy who should know the staff. Gets a fresh start and starting spot at RG.kicks inside, known for his ability to play  along the line
  • Andre Dillard- 2y 10m- lost on a talented Eagles team. He just needs a chance to play, we give him that in a RT starting role. 
  • Yannick - 1y 8m- I actually would bring him back. He enjoyed being a Raider and I think he made good relationships. you can never have too many pass rushers. I expect the Colts to blown up the coaching staff. So his ties to Gus Bradley will be gone. He's tired of changing teams, so he comes back to a team he loved. 
  • DJ Chark WR-1y 4m -  hasn't done much in Detroit. Still a burner and has juice this offense could use at WR. Lions let him walk with Jameson returning. WR have career years with DC, Goff hurt Charks stock. 
  • Sam Darnold- 1y 1M- he's going have to take a backup role. He will be a good QB2, and can learn a lot from Josh and DC. 

Draft

• R1: Will Anderson - Edge - maybe the best player in the draft. up to Graham to blitz him and be creative. Chandler is aging and shouldn't stop us from drafting a potential hall of famer 
  • R2: Bryan Breese DT -  we continue to improve the DT unit. We stuck with Nichols for one more year, but Breese is a great prospect early on day 2. Interior pass rusher 
  • R2: ( Waller trade) Noah Sewell-  MLB - he comes in and becomes the leader of the defense from Day 1.  There's always good LBs on day 2. 
  • R3: Tykee Smith- S- former all American. Stalwart in those Georgia defenses. Has range, can shed blocks. Plays with a fire and smart
  • R4: Fred Davis CB- traits based  prospect 
  • R5:Jaheim Bell TE- a pas catching TE who is a freak athlete. 
  • R5: Falcons:  Rashee Rice WR- BPA- there's a lot of WRs in this draft. Rice is an all around baller, with 4.36. He might rise, but currently Is a small school mid rounder 
  • R6: Cowboys: JALEN MORENO-CROPPER  WR- double dip on WR to improve the units depth, Another burner at WR, who is good route runner. Smaller, might be slot WR. He has serious talent 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Justin Flowers LB: improve the Lb depth. Has speed and instincts, could emerge 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Chantez Williams DE- traits based prospect 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Laydon Robinson G- made all SEC teams, ranked as a day 3 pick. 6'4 330 and plays with a mean streak. Depth with hopes he can develop
  • R7: Cardinals: Trey Dean S- hard hitting safety who has a player in the SEC. improve the overall talent with the S unit. 
  • R7: Patriots: Jake Haener QB- lacks in size, but man has accuracy and an arm. Athletic and is smart making reads. Probably a QB2 at the next level, but not a bad developmental QB to have on the roster. From a small school, might be a day 2 pick if he played in the SEC. 

Team:

QB: DC, Darnold, Haener 

RB/FB: JJ, Zamir, Brown, McCormick, Johnson

WR: Adams, Chark, Renfrow, Rice, Cropper, Turner 

TE: Moreau, Bell, Horsted/Hollister

T: Miller, Dillard,  Munford, Herron 

G: Parham, Wynn, Robinson, Elu/Herron

Center:  James

----------

DE:  Yannick,  Jones, Williams

UT: Nichols, Breese

NT: Payne, Farrell 

DE: Maxx, Koonce

OLB: Anderson, Deablo, Brown, Flowe

MLB: Sewell , Masterson/Butler 

CB: Hobbs, Rock, Amik, S Jones, Davis

S: Moehrig, Smith , Harmon, Dean/Mao

K/P/LS: Carlson, Cole, Sieg

thoughts??

Edited by Humble_Beast

39 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

here's a brief mock offseason:

Coaching- we keep the same staff. This might not be popular but we can't keep changing the coaching staff every year. Sean Payton is enticing tho 

Trades: Darren Waller to Packers for a 2nd rounder. I think we trade Waller for a Day 2 pick in this offseason. Use his salary to pay Jacobs, and use a pick to help the defense.

Players brought back: 

• Jacobs- 4y 44m- offense is ran through him. This deal will take him through his prime. 4th year will have no dead cap. Our big 3 on offense will be Adams, Jacobs, and Hunter
  • Rock - 3y 24m- he's been solid. considering our defense has been a joke and lead the league with fewest sacks
  • Johnson- 2y 4m- stud blocking FB. good fit in this system, helping JJ have a career year 
  • Moreau= 1y 2m- teams seems to like him. We give him a shot to be the TE1. Prove it deal 
  • Harmon- 1y 1.5m- he's good depth. prefer him as a 3rd safety, cheap vet who knows the system 
  • Jaylon Brown- 1y 1.5m- dirt cheap for a rangy LB. I would bring him back to provide depth and can be a solid starter 

Cut: B Bolden, Simpson = 4m saving

reworked deals: James, Nichols, Jones- they cost too much to cut. We need to rework their deal and save around 10-15m in cap space 

So basically Jacobs salary will be replacing Wallers contract. We nab a draft asset and pay for one starter in Rock. Everyone else is super cheap. All other free agents can walk 

We will only have like 35m in cap space. 

• Daron Payne - 4y 60m fixes our weakest unit (25)- hitting his prime and give a great boost to our DL. Paying big money, but smart to get a difference maker in the interior of the DL.
  • Isiah Wynn- 2y 10m - Pats guy who should know the staff. Gets a fresh start and starting spot at RG.kicks inside, known for his ability to play  along the line
  • Andre Dillard- 2y 10m- lost on a talented Eagles team. He just needs a chance to play, we give him that in a RT starting role. 
  • Yannick - 1y 8m- I actually would bring him back. He enjoyed being a Raider and I think he made good relationships. you can never have too many pass rushers. I expect the Colts to blown up the coaching staff. So his ties to Gus Bradley will be gone. He's tired of changing teams, so he comes back to a team he knows. 
  • DJ Chark WR-1y 4m -  hasn't done much in Detroit. Still a burner and has juice this offense could use at WR. Lions let him walk with Jameson returning. WR have career years with DC, Goff hurt Charks stock. 
  • Sam Darnold- 1y 1M- he's going have to take a backup role. He will be a good QB2, and can learn a lot from Josh and DC. 

Draft

• R1: Will Anderson - Edge - maybe the best player in the draft. up to Graham to blitz him and be creative. Chandler is aging and shouldn't stop us from drafting a potential hall of famer 
  • R2: Bryan Breese DT -  we continue to improve the DT unit. We stuck with Nichols for one more year, but Breese is a great prospect early on day 2. Interior pass rusher 
  • R2: ( Waller trade) Noah Sewell-  MLB - he comes in and becomes the leader of the defense from Day 1.  There's always good LBs on day 2. 
  • R3: Tykee Smith- S- former all American. Stalwart in those Georgia defenses. Has range, can shed blocks. Plays with a fire and smart
  • R4: Fred Davis CB- traits based  prospect 
  • R5:Jaheim Bell TE- a pas catching TE who is a freak athlete. 
  • R5: Falcons:  Rashee Rice WR- BPA- there's a lot of WRs in this draft. Rice is an all around baller, with 4.36. He might rise, but currently Is a small school mid rounder 
  • R6: Cowboys: JALEN MORENO-CROPPER  WR- double dip on WR to improve the units depth, Another burner at WR, who is good route runner and fast. Smaller, might be slot WR. He has serious talent 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Justin Flowers LB: improve the Lb depth. Has speed and instincts, could emerge 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Chantez Williams DE- traits based prospect 
  • R6: Comp Pick: Laydon Robinson G- made all SEC teams, ranked as a day 3 pick. 6'4 330 and plays with a mean streak. Depth with hopes he can develop
  • R7: Cardinals: Trey Dean S- hard hitting safety who has a player in the SEC. improve the overall talent with the S unit. 
  • R7: Patriots: Jake Haener QB- lacks in size, but man has accuracy and an arm. Athletic and is smart making reads. Probably a QB2 at the next level, but not a bad developmental QB to have on the roster. From a small school, might be a day 2 pick if he played in the SEC. 

Team:

QB: DC, Darnold, Haener 

RB/FB: JJ, Zamir, Brown, McCormick, Johnson

WR: Adams, Chark, Renfrow, Rice, Cropper, Turner 

TE: Moreau, Bell, Horsted/Hollister

T: Miller, Dillard,  Munford, Herron 

G: Parham, Wynn, Robinson, Elu/Herron

Center:  James

----------

DE:  Yannick,  Jones, Williams

UT: Nichols, Breese

NT: Payne, Farrell 

DE: Maxx, Koonce

OLB: Anderson, Deablo, Brown, Flowe

MLB: Sewell , Masterson/Butler 

CB: Hobbs, Rock, Amik, S Jones, Davis

S: Moehrig, Smith , Harmon, Dean/Mao

K/P/LS: Carlson, Cole, Sieg

thoughts??

Coaching- we keep the same staff. This might not be popular but we can't keep changing the coaching staff every year. If we get a chance to upgrade we have to.  We may be faced with a big roster turnover or coach turnover.  I think this gets uglier as the year goes on.  Players are starting to talk openly.  Not a good sign.

Trades: Darren Waller to Packers for a 2nd rounder. I think we trade Waller for a Day 2 pick in this offseason. Please do.  A year late but if we can still get a2nd I jump on it.

Players brought back: 

• Jacobs- 4y 44m- Sorry but I would not pay any RB this much.  Offer him a smaller deal and if he does not except then get one in the draft.
  • Rock - 3y 24m- Still a bit high and not sure it will be possible.  Would also wait to see what happens with the DC system.  If Graham is replaced Ya-Sin might be a bad fit.
  • Johnson- 2y 4m-  Fine
  • Moreau= 1y 2m- I think he can get more on the open market and what does he have to prove.  You are asking him to take less than his rookie deal.
  • Harmon- 1y 1.5m- Fine but may have to pay more. 
  • Jaylon Brown- 1y 1.5m- If he will take it.

Cut: B Bolden, Simpson = Fine with this

reworked deals:

James - Already counts as $2 million from previous restructure so I do not know how you want to get this done except kick the can done the road.  If he can be replaced cut him June 1st and forget about it.

Nichols - Has a dead cap that is 80% of his salary in the final year.  A restructure will not net much.  Would be the same as a June 1st cut.

Jones - No, no, no!  This will turn into a Littleton situation. Let him play next year with some talent at the DT spot and see if it works.  If not he is a June 1st cut next year.  I do not want to be paying this guy $5-6 million into 2026.

Just admit the mistake and replace the big contracts with rookie deals.  Last thing I want to do is sit here next year talking about how we need to restructure Jacobs and Ya-Sin because they are making to much money.

I would be very happy with Payne but would settle for Hargrave and would take Carter over Anderson but I would not complain.  Maybe trade back with a team that needs a QB if we are in the #2 spot after the Panthers won last night.  All depends on where we draft really.  Payne might not cost $15 million either.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Coaching- we keep the same staff. This might not be popular but we can't keep changing the coaching staff every year. If we get a chance to upgrade we have to.  We may be faced with a big roster turnover or coach turnover.  I think this gets uglier as the year goes on.  Players are starting to talk openly.  Not a good sign.

Trades: Darren Waller to Packers for a 2nd rounder. I think we trade Waller for a Day 2 pick in this offseason. Please do.  A year late but if we can still get a2nd I jump on it.

Players brought back: 

• Jacobs- 4y 44m- Sorry but I would not pay any RB this much.  Offer him a smaller deal and if he does not except then get one in the draft.
  • Rock - 3y 24m- Still a bit high and not sure it will be possible.  Would also wait to see what happens with the DC system.  If Graham is replaced Ya-Sin might be a bad fit.
  • Johnson- 2y 4m-  Fine
  • Moreau= 1y 2m- I think he can get more on the open market and what does he have to prove.  You are asking him to take less than his rookie deal.
  • Harmon- 1y 1.5m- Fine but may have to pay more. 
  • Jaylon Brown- 1y 1.5m- If he will take it.

Cut: B Bolden, Simpson = Fine with this

reworked deals:

James - Already counts as $2 million from previous restructure so I do not know how you want to get this done except kick the can done the road.  If he can be replaced cut him June 1st and forget about it.

Nichols - Has a dead cap that is 80% of his salary in the final year.  A restructure will not net much.  Would be the same as a June 1st cut.

Jones - No, no, no!  This will turn into a Littleton situation. Let him play next year with some talent at the DT spot and see if it works.  If not he is a June 1st cut next year.  I do not want to be paying this guy $5-6 million into 2026.

Just admit the mistake and replace the big contracts with rookie deals.  Last thing I want to do is sit here next year talking about how we need to restructure Jacobs and Ya-Sin because they are making to much money.

I would be very happy with Payne but would settle for Hargrave and would take Carter over Anderson but I would not complain.  Maybe trade back with a team that needs a QB if we are in the #2 spot after the Panthers won last night.  All depends on where we draft really.  Payne might not cost $15 million either.

Appreciate the feedback. Nichols contract is the new ugly one. Shame. Jones contract is bad too. Any other corners you like in free agency? I don’t see any coaching turnover… 

Zero chance that we give Jacobs a big deal after we declined his $8M option. 

Highly doubt that we’d be able to get a second for Waller now. He’ll be 31 coming off of back to back disappointing seasons where he was hurt. He hasn’t produced at an elite level since 2020 and has a mega contract. 

Yannick isn’t a fit in Patrick Graham’s scheme and I can’t imagine he’d return after they shipped him off immediately when they got here. 

Dillard has potential but he has never shown he can be a RT. 

Breese is more likely to go in the top 10 then to fall to the second round.  

24 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Appreciate the feedback. Nichols contract is the new ugly one. Shame. Jones contract is bad too. Any other corners you like in free agency? I don’t see any coaching turnover… 

If we run the same scheme I am fine with Ya-Sin and think he is much better with Hobbs opposite him.  I would want to wait on a CB until we get the iDL sorted out and see if we can get a decent one in the draft.  I ike having CBs on rookie deals.  Seems to be a position you have to spend to much on in FA.  Always some good value late in the FA period.

I don't even really see anyone that I would realistically resign at what they're likely going to cost. I'd probably resign RYS if the price is right. I'll assume that we have $50M to work with after cuts and restructures. 

Trades

• Darren Waller to the Packers for their 2nd round pick 

Free agents

• Jamaal Williams (2 yr/$10M) - Veteran RB to pair with Zamir that has some pass catching ability. 

• Nate Davis (3 yr/$21M) - Slots in as a starting OG 

• Jawaan Taylor (2 yr/$18M) - Starting RT

• Nelson Agholor (1 yr/$2M) - Speedy WR that has history with the team and new regime

• Dalvin Tomlinson (2 yr/$16M) - Run stuffing interior DL 

• Jabrill Peppers (2 yr/$10M) - Versatile safety with experience in the scheme

Draft

2. Jalen Carter | DT | Georgia

35. Nolan Smith | Edge | Georgia

40. John Michael Schmitz | OC | Minnesota 

66. Owen Pappoe | LB | Auburn

101. Dalton Kincaid | TE | Utah

135. Hendon Hooker | QB | Tennessee

146. Garrett Williams | CB | Syracuse 

191. Dontae Bull | OT | Fresno State

201. Nick Hampton | Edge | Appalachian State