BDL 2022 Week 10- Death Valley Nightmare @ Cancun Kaiju

Scoundrel

Who Wins?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Death Valley Nightmare
    • Cancun Kaiju

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/17/2022 at 05:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 10

Match: Death Valley Nightmare @ Cancun Kaiju

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @Blue

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Lineups

Death Valley Nightmare

Offensive Starting Lineup

QB: Lamar Jackson
RB:  Derrick Henry
WR1: Jerry Jeudy
WR2:  Darnell Mooney
WR3(Slot):  Jahan Dotson
TE: Dawson Knox
LT:  Penei Sewell
LG: Jonah Jackson
C : Creed Humphrey
RG:  Alex Cappa
RT:  Andrew Wylie

Bench:

RB: Cordarrelle Patterson
RB: Michael Carter
RB: Jaylen Warren
WR: Michael Gallup
WR: Devin Duvernay
TE: Tyler Conklin
OT: Morgan Moses
OG: Kevin Dotson

Defensive Starting Lineup

LEO: Brian Burns
3T: Javon Hargrave
1T: Leonard Williams
5T: Cam Heyward
LOLB: Jordan Hicks
MLB: Bobby Wagner
ROLB: Zaven Collins
CB1:  Carlton Davis
CB2: Anthony Brown
S: Javon Holland
S:  Vonn Bell

Bench:

DE: Kwity Paye
DT: Calais Campbell
DE: Lorenzo Carter
LB: Sione Takitaki
CB Michael Jackson
CB: Darren Hall
NB:  Byron Murphy
S: Xavier Woods

Cancun:

QB Patrick Mahomes

RB Aaron Jones

FB Kyle Juszczyk

WR Courtland Sutton

WR Chris Olave

TE Dalton Schultz

LT David Bakhtiari

LG Wyatt Teller

C Andre James

RG Zion Johnson

RT Sam Cosmi

RB2 Rhamondre Stevenson

WR3 Olamide Zacchaeus

WR4 Elijah Moore

WR5 Velus Jones

TE2 Will Dissly

TE3 Kylen Granson

OL6 Yosh Nijman

OL7 Cordell Volson

DE Cameron Jordan

DT Jonathan Allen

DT Jordan Phillips

DE Dre'mont Jones

LB Pete Werner

LB Ernest Jones

CB Tre'davious White

CB Steven Nelson

Slot CB Jack Jones

S Kevin Byard

S Jalen Thompson

DE3 Preston Smith

DE4 Kayvon Thibodeaux

DT3 Travis Jones

DT4 Tim Settle

LB3 David Long

CB3 Steven Nelson

CB4 Jaylen Watson

S3 Jalen Pitre

Death Valley:

Motivation:   The last time we played Cancun, it ended in a tie, this time, I intend to put my stamp on the division and remind Cancun that they're still the little brother and a few big names won't save them from that reality.

Offense

•  Establish the running game with Derrick Henry and Lamar Jackson
• Get creative in the running game
• Control the tempo of the game
• Spread the ball around

This week I'm throwing a few little twists into the game plan. 1st and foremost like we've been doing we are going to run the ball heavily with Derrick Henry.  Cancun has a respectable defense of the line but I don't believe it's an elite defensive line.  They have a sub apart linebacker group even though they believe otherwise, between the 4 LBs on their roster they have a combined 1.5  sacks on the season, the entire defensive line on their roster averages 2.9 sacks a game. For a defensive line thats supposed to be elite??? (For reference mine is averaging 3.6 a game, my LBs have a combined 13 sacks this season). 

they are not guys who are going to get to the QB and average corners when Tre White is not on the field. 

I am less worried about running a no huddle or hurry up and more focused on effective play execution. 

I intend to use a Zone Read attack in this game.  1st of all I want to make an emphasis on running Derrick Henry through the middle of that defensive line, my intent is to pound the rock and wear them down throughout the course of the game.  I'm going to use cordero Patterson to run both inside and outside as well as split him into the slot as a receiver. I will have several designed quarterback runs, including a few Fake Jet Sweeps with Lamar running in the opposite direction with the ball, QB draws, power QB rins, QB sneaks and Option reads to the outside.

I plan to get Michael Carter And corderal Patterson involved in the passing game as well, Once again Michael Carter will take some snaps as a runner to keep the defense guessing.   I also planned to run the ball with Jaylen Warren in relief of Derrick Henry on some snaps. 

Also in the running game I plan to use the Tight Ends to be outside to help create additional space  As run blockers.

In the passing game I want to use some RPOs, quick releaae passes over the heads of their LBs, especially their short *** MLB. I intend to target the TEs on curl, Hitch, Post, Mesh and Slant Routes with the occasional Seam route.

I'm going to use Devon duvernay on some jet sweeps and quickly release slant routes out of the slot.  Jeudy and Mooney are gonna draw coverage downfield onmultiple different routes, I want the entire route tree to be available to all of my receivers and I will mix in different routes throughout the game other than just the ones I have mentioned to attack the weak areas of the defense, which to me are the outside edges of the secondary away from the safeties and the middle of the field between the secondary and the line backers.  Gallop will come in and rotate with the receivers to keep them fresh, When KJ Osborne is on the field which will not be very often if they choose not to cover him because he has not had a lot of protection this season we will simply throw it to him for a touchdown. 

Defense

• Contain the RBs
• Limit big plays to Olave
• Spy Mahomes, don't let him use his feet to change the game.
•  Punish the offensive line

Despite what they want everybody to believe this this is not a great offense of line I am matching up against. They've got a part time player at left tackle to begin with.

My Dline is averaging 3.6 sacks a game, my LBs have combined for 13 on the season, (a total avg of 5 a game) My entire defense has 8 Ints & 7 FF in 9 games. While it can be argued Jones and Mahomes dont turn the ball over often, it has happened this season and this week theyre facing a defense very good at forcing turnovers.

The other thing to note is that Erin Jones has only scored one Russian Dutch sound all season. His other 3 Touchdowns came as a receiver and many of his yard came on chunk plays where the defense essentially let him off the hook.

The last time we played we decided to use a ton of coverage on their number one and a number 2 wide recduver,  the irony is that Sutton wasnt that good then and he hasnt been that good since.  This is not to suggest he is not a threat hwoever it is to suggest we don't need to double him. Aaron Jones, Rhamondre Stevenson, Dalton Schultz, and Chris Olave are going to be their primary receiving threats.  They do have other wide receivrrs but they don't have any other guys that are really dynamic playmakers that we need to give special attention to, we can run our defense and be effective. 

Obviously Aaron Jones and Stevenson are both running threats as well as is Patrick Mahomes. Volson and Johnson are very beatable along the Oline, the entire KL is beatable but those guys are the weak links.  They are streaky to say the least as young guys. Against our defense of line I do not believe they can hold up.  On top of that they essentially have a part time player at left time, This suggests to me that he tires very easily they are going to have to rely on Jason Peters who barely played IRL to make up for those snaps, Against Cameron Heyward, I don't think it matters who is plain that position he has the clear advantage. 

So that brings us to what we are actually going to do in this game. Unlike last time I'm not going to be running a high coverage formation where we are not blitzing.  I'm going to mix up coverages, I'm going to use disguused coverages, I plan to use Hicks and Zaven Collins in the shallow parts of the field against flat throws and screens to either RB. 

In situations where we run 4-2-5,  Bobby Wagner and Zaven will be the 2 LBs on the field. 

I want to use the formation along the Dline that we used against Ivory Coast:

On 1st, 2nd, Cam Heyward will play the Strong Side Defensive End against the TE, Burns the Weak Side in a standup position and Hargrave will play next to Williams on the inside.

On 3rd down with less than 5 yards to go, we will maintain this grouping.

On 3rd down with 5+ yards to go, Kwity Paye will take over the Strong side in place of Heyward, Heyward will then move to DT in place of Leonard Williams who will come off the field.

*verbatim what i did last week* It does not matter to me if they expect it, i don't believe their OL is good enough to stop it. 

I plan to use 4 down linemen the majority of the game, though we will put in some 3-4 and Nickel for extra LBs and/or DBs depending on their personnel grouping.

However starting out the game I intend to be in the 4-3. I Want the Bell on the Tight end,  Collins on Jones and Wagner will spy Mahomes. I plan to use Jevon Holland over the top foe deep coverage.  I plan to run more man to man against his wide receivers with that deep coverage over the top,  However I will run

I absolutely intend to blitz in this game.  I also want to mix up where the blitz is which is coming from, So when Collins Zaven Collins will take over responsibilities for Aaron Jones. When Hicks blitzes Wagner will maintain his role of spying Mahomes,  When Bell Blitzes I want be in the nickel so a CB can take responsibilty for the TE. In Nickel situations we will use Hargrave at NT, Heyward & Williams at DE so that we can maintain 3 LBs.

If they want to spread us out we will run the 4-2-5 or the 3-2-6. In the 4-2-5 we will bring a 3rd safety on the field, using two in deeper coverage wiyh underneath man coverage.

In 3-2-6 I will bring the Nickel corner on the field to cover the center zone of the field and use Bell in a Robber role with Holland over the top.

When using 3 safeties Holland &  will be the other safety in deep coverage.

Against the run, We want to contain and limit the production from both Stevenson and Aaron Jones. Now if they decide to go with 2 RB sets,  it  Means 1 of 2 things, Either A) they have 3 WRs on the field or B) they have 2 WRs and a TE. 

In this situation we will run the same coverage as we have described above the differences The bass rush will only come from the 4 down lineman and Collins will take the other running back responsibility. The whole goal against the run is to get penetration and stop everything in the backfield or or at the minimum limit the gains with an outside contained by our outside line backers who are responsible for the running back.

A couple of things we expect to see in this game, Short Passion 2 who are the running back, and AaronJones potentially being split out into the Slot.   If Aaron Jones Splits out into the slot I want Bell coming off of the Tight End and sharing the responsibility for Jones. In this situation Wagner will pick up responsibility for the tight end, and Collins will pick up responsibility for Patrick Mahomes.

I also expect them them to try to run a no huddle and/or hurry up offense to keep our defensive linemen on the field and try to control the clock however I do not believe their offensive line is good enough to sustain drives and keep our defense out of the backfield and hitting Patrick Mahomes often.  I want to get  home often and force mistakes because of forced and hurried throws and possibly muffed handoffs and snaps.  I want their desire to go no huddle to be their detriment.

Cancun:

Offense:

Against a nasty defensive line, we’re happy to have our preferred five back on our offensive line. If Cosmi ends up not playing, we’re moving Nijman to right tackle, but otherwise we’re happy with how this group matches up with DVN’s line. That said, we’ll be using a healthy amount of two-back I-formations with play action on our pass plays and a tight end/fullback chip to help out the right tackle.

We want to run the ball early against their base four-man front, especially to the right side against Brian Burns. Burns gives up a lot in size against the run, and we’ll use James and Teller as pulling center/guard to get even more beef out in space to block defenders. Getting runs to the outside is our number one priority to stretch out the defense, control the clock, and slow the pass rush.

In the passing game, we’re heavily targeting Chris Olave. He has been productive this year in spite of being the sole reliable receiving weapon for his NFL team, so we feel good about getting him the ball this week against Carlton Davis, and especially against any other corner DVN puts on him. Olave will motion on every play, partly to show coverage and partly to keep DVN from pressing him at the line. We also want to get Olave the ball on a couple jet sweeps just to throw something at DVN that they haven’t seen from us before. Apart from Olave, Aaron Jones will be our No. 2 option in the passing game, using him on wheel routes in addition to hitting him in the flat.

We will stay in our base formation for about a third of the game, then take the fullback off the field for a third receiver or second running back for roughly the same number of snaps each. When we have a third receiver, we’ll look to get Olave into the slot more with Zacchaeus or Moore on the outside, since we doubt Davis will follow Olave into the slot.

Defense:

This week we get Death Valley, led by a vaunted rushing attack with Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry. We assume that they'll be motivated by our earlier season tie, which we are as well. 

We expect Lamar Jackson and Darrick Henry to be the focus of their game-plan, with their desire to get Derrick Henry a lot of touches in the running game. We anticipate the possibility of 3-4 WR sets with Duvernay, Jeudy, and Mooney, or some 2 TE sets with Knox and Conklin. We anticipate their formations to be a huge tell if they put in Conklin/Knox or other TE/2 RB packages, and will either be looking to pound the ball, or take vertical play-action shots. As a result, we will be matching personnel nickel/big nickel for 3+ wide sets, but will be putting a 3rd linebacker in the game in 2 WR sets.

We also will be using heavy rotations at home with us taking advantage of our DL depth. If they choose to run hurry up/no huddle, we trust the ability of our Front 7 to get early down stops, forcing a lot of 3rd Down opportunities. We don't anticipate much of Cordarelle Patterson this week, and frankly would welcome getting to face him.

We love our Front 7 and our safeties, with Pete Werner and Byard proving to be a major problem for what Death Valley wants to do running the football, to go with some quality DL depth. Our other DT and EDGE pieces will also get reps to help be a bigger presence in the interior to stop the run, with our NASCAR package being Thibs or Smith (Rotating, both at DE), Dre'Mont (DE), Allen (DT), and Jordan (DT). We also, if he chooses to go 2 TE or unbalanced, will take a LB off the field and add a 5th DL, utilizing an odd bear front with heavy DE contain and both ends setting a hard edge with Werner keying on Lamar Jackson in the running game and Byard running the alley as well in power read. We will allocate 2 hats on Lamar, and our bear front up front will neutralize any threat of the inside run from Henry, with both A and B gaps being completely plugged.

Bills_bear_front.jpg

41670_h_0.jpg

In the secondary, we intend to use Byard as a major chess piece that can play in the box or up high, depending upon personnel and down and distance.

If DV wants to go heavier in the passing attack, we suspect that they'll try to exploit the outside corners, as trying to do anything in the middle of the field against our safeties, LB, and apex defenders is something we'd gladly welcome, as we have a huge advantage there. Lamar Jackson really struggles to have any consistency outside of the numbers, so good luck there.

We will be running heavy cover 3 and cover 4, while mixing in Cover 2 to support in the outside run game and denying in-breaking routes, forcing throws outside the numbers (depending upon 2-3 wide vs. 4 wide), daring Lamar to throw it outside the numbers, which he simply can't do with consistency. If he scrambles, he's going to pick up some yards, but our ability from the LB and S spots in tackling him will limit these big play opportunities.

So, we will be forcing Lamar to beat us in the pocket outside the numbers and effectively eliminating the middle of the field entirely, as well as the inside run from Henry, and keying on Lamar if he runs the football.

In the second half, Jackson has struggled putting points on the board this year, as well as with turnovers.

As a result, we like our ability and depth to make plays down the stretch and trust his major 4th Quarter struggles both running and passing the ball. We will be getting a LOT of shots on him, wearing him down, and trust that he will fade down the stretch like he always has. In the 4th Quarter when within 7 points, he's got a subpar completion rate and 1 TD with 4 INT, and tends to fade down the stretch running the football.

We will not be blitzing as much this week, but will maintain gap integrity over all else, as well as high contain from our DE spots. We will let our DL pin their ears back as long as they keep contain on long yardage situations, but that means a lot of EDGE rush ability or else we hope to create interior pressure from the DT spots, even using some interior stunts.

anyways David Bakhtiari has played more snaps since Week 5 than Terron Armstead and the latter is actually on the injury report every week, but I don't hear anyone Armstead is trash because he's a part-time player. Probably because it's not true!