Should the Eagles just keep going for 2?

Phire

Via Reuben Frank of NBC Sports Philadelphia, Eagles coach Doug Pederson said he’s not sure what they’re going to do yet, since they don’t know if Elliott will be cleared by an independent neurologist by the weekend.

“I think moving forward, as we continue to evaluate this week, we’ll find out more in the next couple days with Jake, and I don’t want to put myself in a box, but we’ll keep all the options open,” Pederson said. “It kind of goes back to the same old thing. We still have a couple days here today and tomorrow to evaluate Jake and see where everybody’s at. There’s still a little while before we play Sunday.”

They have a few options, including activating Caleb Sturgis from injured reserve. But Pederson suggested they’ve settled on Elliott as their long-term answer at kicker, so using one of their return from IR spots on a temp might not be the way they want to go.

Pederson also didn’t rule out the possibility of continuing to go for two.

I'M NOT SUGGESTING WE SHOULD

However...

Our three 2 point conversions literally equaled a touchdown. Now, if the Eagles have one of the best OLs in the league, and one of the most creative playcalls, and one of the best young QBs in the league... what if our conversion rate was, realistically, over .500? Should we just go for it?

IMO going for 2 might be the right call when you're playing against a bad team like the Bears. It'll help put them away and you have a better shot at converting. 

But for example, in an important playoff game, you probably take the kick. Or do you? The XP is no longer a "free point" like it used to be.

This was supposed to be a point of discussion when they moved the XP back. It didn't happen. But it's possible the Eagles just sparked it.

So we use KGH for kickoffs and have 11 guys who can tackle the return man.

We go for it on every 4th down past the 50, and every 2-point conversion.

We only punt when on our side of the field. 

More tuddies. 

Yessss, Madden in Real Life Im Game lol. But in all seriousness have to look at everything in game and postition wise on if you should go for it or not, just like how doug has been doing with 4th down.

Would love to see more teams do more 2 Pt conversions and more going for it on 4th down. Would deff make the game more interesting. 

Yes, let's be the revolutionary team to try it! If it's a late game situation where you're down 1 or tied after scoring 6, then I might say just go for the damn XP, but I don't think teams are ready to stop our 2 pt conversion attack. 3 of the 4 attempts were pretty damn easy scores (the one that wasn't was when Wentz had to scramble around and find Alshon. The one that Ertz dropped should have been an easy 2. 

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yes, let's be the revolutionary team to try it! If it's a late game situation where you're down 1 or tied after scoring 6, then I might say just go for the damn XP, but I don't think teams are ready to stop our 2 pt conversion attack. 3 of the 4 attempts were pretty damn easy scores (the one that wasn't was when Wentz had to scramble around and find Alshon. The one that Ertz dropped should have been an easy 2. 

Yes but now all 4 are on tape, have to create new ones as well!! The Steelers have gone for 2 more then any team I can remember and its cost them points and games. It's wonderful when you get them but costly if your not getting an extra 2-3 points on missed attempts. Let alone NOT having the ability to kick a gimme FG from 20-30yds. Rather have the 3 points then have to go for it on 4th and 10, 4th and 15! from the 15yd line.

Have it at your disposal but never even intentionally go into a gm with no KICKER!!!

17 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

I've always wanted a coach that says no we got 4 plays for a first down or nah well go for the 2 pointer. only time you see that is in madden though haha

There is a high school coach in either arkansas or alabama that never punts. he goes for it on 4th down every time and he onside kicks every time too. 

Archived