Justin Fields v Lamar Jackson

Superduperman

14 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How is debatable when everything with Fields is predicated on him keeping up a certain pace while Lamar already owns the greatest rushing season by a QB in NFL history?

Lamars Rushing record is 1206. Fields has 749 with 7 more games to go. 

458 Rushing yards over 7 games is rough  65 yards a game. That  is very reasonable for Fields. The running aspect of their games is clearly debatable. 

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

Lamars Rushing record is 1206. Fields has 749 with 7 more games to go. 

458 Rushing yards over 7 games is rough  65 yards a game. That  is very reasonable for Fields. The running aspect of their games is clearly debatable. 

This would be about the equivalent of saying Jamal Lewis was as good of a runner as Barry Sanders was since Jamal Lewis ran for more yards in a single season than Barry Sanders (if Fields was to manage to rush for more yards this year). Lamar Jackson has been basically setting QB rushing records every year since he became a starting QB. Lamar Jackson has posted multiple 1,000+ yard rushing seasons and is on pace to do so again this season. For all we know, this could be a fluke 1 year performance from Justin Fields as a runner. He's clearly a great athlete, but historically he hasn't had elite running production in college and his rookie year. Lamar Jackson has had elite production as a runner as a starting QB from college until now. In other words, he has a huge sample size of elite production and is probably the GOAT in terms of running the ball as a QB.

Edited by tyler735

Lamar had an obviously better Year 2, but Fields in Year 2 is very similar to Lamar Year 1. Lamar's situation from a roster and coaching perspective was also infinitely better than Fields's is right now.

Fields is showing some major promise the last 4-5 games.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

This would be about the equivalent of saying Jamal Lewis was as good of a runner as Barry Sanders was since Jamal Lewis ran for more yards in a single season than Barry Sanders (if Fields was to manage to rush for more yards this year). Lamar Jackson has been basically setting QB rushing records every year since he became a starting QB. Lamar Jackson has posted multiple 1,000+ yard rushing seasons and is on pace to do so again this season. For all we know, this could be a fluke 1 year performance from Justin Fields as a runner. He's clearly a great athlete, but historically he hasn't had elite running production in college and his rookie year. Lamar Jackson has had elite production as a runner as a starting QB from college until now. In other words, he has a huge sample size of elite production and is probably the GOAT in terms of running the ball as a QB.

So If Fields breaks the rushing Record for QBs in his 2nd year just like Lamar did in his 2nd year. How is it not comparable?  

Good ole FF just be reaching man.

Edited by GHARMON9

15 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

Fields is Mahomes/Lamar in incubation. 

Another year in this offense could be absolutely devasting for the rest of the NFL. 

Fields doesnt have cohesive weapons or an oline, Lamar has  options to work with

Fields arm talent is head and shoulders above Lamar imo 

Feel like people are forgetting Lamar Jackson was throwing to Devin Duvernay, Desean Jackson and Demarcus Robinson last time we saw him play, and handing off to Kenyan Drake and Justice Hill. Bateman and Andrews have been hurt and it's been a rotating cast of WRs who would be other teams' #5 WRs. JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards have missed all but a handful of snaps this season and we're working with our #3-5 RBs yet again this year.

Fields has a terrible cast around him but we're not going to sit here and talk like Lamar doesn't have bottom of the league offensive talent around him as well.

26 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Feel like people are forgetting Lamar Jackson was throwing to Devin Duvernay, Desean Jackson and Demarcus Robinson last time we saw him play, and handing off to Kenyan Drake and Justice Hill. Bateman and Andrews have been hurt and it's been a rotating cast of WRs who would be other teams' #5 WRs. JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards have missed all but a handful of snaps this season and we're working with our #3-5 RBs yet again this year.

Fields has a terrible cast around him but we're not going to sit here and talk like Lamar doesn't have bottom of the league offensive talent around him as well.

IMO I could be wrong, but I think he's referring to Year 2 where the Ravens sent like 12 dudes to the Pro Bowl

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

So If Fields breaks the rushing Record for QBs in his 2nd year just like Lamar did in his 2nd year. How is it not comparable?  

Good ole FF just be reaching man.

Nah not really. Give me the guy that has unquestionably been the best running threat at QB the past several years. Also if we are going to "reach" here with these Fields claims. Lamar put up 1,200+ rush yards (while winning the MVP leading the NFL in passing touchdowns) in just 15 games. I'd say a comparable rushing total in 17 games, isn't as impressive (if we are ignoring the overall body of work Jackson has).

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

IMO I could be wrong, but I think he's referring to Year 2 where the Ravens sent like 12 dudes to the Pro Bowl

Even in year 2 mark Ingram and mark Andrews were the pro bowl reps offensive skill position wise and crazy thing about that is mark Ingram was never that good prior to and hasn’t been that good since lol..

10 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Even in year 2 mark Ingram and mark Andrews were the pro bowl reps offensive skill position wise and crazy thing about that is mark Ingram was never that good prior to and hasn’t been that good since lol..

And what about the Offensive Line? That's kind of my/his point. 

38 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Nah not really. Give me the guy that has unquestionably been the best running threat at QB the past several years. Also if we are going to "reach" here with these Fields claims. Lamar put up 1,200+ rush yards (while winning the MVP leading the NFL in passing touchdowns) in just 15 games. I'd say a comparable rushing total in 17 games, isn't as impressive (if we are ignoring the overall body of work Jackson has).

Justin Fields is averaging 75 Yards rushing a game at 7.2 YPC, 6 RTDs thru 10 games. Lamar averaged 80 yards rushing a game at 6.9 YPC, 7 RTDs in Year two on 15 games. 

It's not that deep. As 2nd year Qbs they're neck and neck at being a running threat. Why is that so hard to accept? 

I only joined in on the running aspect. Passing its clear who's better there.

25 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Justin Fields is averaging 75 Yards rushing a game at 7.2 YPC, 6 RTDs thru 10 games. Lamar averaged 80 yards rushing a game at 6.9 YPC, 7 RTDs in Year two on 15 games. 

It's not that deep. As 2nd year Qbs they're neck and neck at being a running threat. Why is that so hard to accept? 

I only joined in on the running aspect. Passing its clear who's better there.

Fields is coming off the 2 biggest games of his career running the ball. Obviously he played excellent in those games and seems to be improving. However, those 2 games drastically altered "season projections", but I don't think it is going to be sustainable and believe he will regress back to the mean. After week 8 he was sitting at 424 rush yards through 8 games and 3 rushing touchdowns. If someone tried to make this comment about Fields being as good of a runner as Lamar Jackson 2 weeks ago they would have been laughed out of the room (rightfully so). Fields in 12 games last season had just 420 rushing yards. In college, Fields never accounted for more than 500 rush yards in his 3 college seasons.

He's a very good athlete, but this just screams "outlier" to me. Lamar Jackson on the other hand is on pace for another 1,200 yard rushing season. Since Jackson became a full time starting QB (he had a weird split usage with Flacco as a rookie) in the NFL in his 2019 season, he has averaged 70.8 rush yards per game over the past 4 seasons. Last season, Fields averaged about 40 yards rushing per game. Prior to his 2 big games this season, he was averaging 53 rushing yards per game this season. I suppose we will see what happens, but I don't think this thread will age particularly well. This thread appears to be very "prisoner of the moment" to me. 

It's no different than when Adrian Peterson was basically the undisputed best RB in the NFL for several years, but then a random RB such as Deangelo Williams, Chris Johnson, or Jamaal Charles would have the random good season and we would have to see these types of threads on this forum comparing these guys to Adrian Peterson. The correct answer was always Adrian Peterson and over time it always became very obvious. This just seems to be that type of comparison with people trying to claim Fields is as good of a runner as Lamar Jackson.

• Like 2