2023 NFL Draft Thread

broncos67

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You had a few centers rated pretty high earlier. Now the season is over do you have any left with a first RD rank?

My favorite prospect dominated the frogs on national television last night, but Van Pram is a redshirt sophomore and likely returns for another year. That leaves Minnesota’s John Michael Schmitz and Oklahomas Andrew Raym as my next two centers. Both are day two picks for me. Schmitz May go in the first round because of his experience (started 45ish games) and he understands blocking concepts, but every time I watch him he’s just so limited. I really like Raym, he looks like his predecessor Creed Humphrey out there, but he’s only had one year of starting experience and will still occasionally make the mental mistakes.

Seeing the bears get the #1 pick and their “ dilemma“ really goes to reinforce a maxim I’ve long held about the draft. Just avoid Ohio State QBs. They recruit a certain type of player and play a scheme that fits them to a T. Add in surrounding them with talent that usually out classes their opponents and they look amazing in college. But they fail in the NFL and I’m projecting that CJ Stroud will as well. Stroud, Fields, Haskins, Jones, Pryor. The list goes on. Weirdly, due to changes in the style of offenses in the NFL changing these guys keep getting drafted higher and higher despite performing the same.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Seeing the bears get the #1 pick and their “ dilemma“ really goes to reinforce a maxim I’ve long held about the draft. Just avoid Ohio State QBs. They recruit a certain type of player and play a scheme that fits them to a T. Add in surrounding them with talent that usually out classes their opponents and they look amazing in college. But they fail in the NFL and I’m projecting that CJ Stroud will as well. Stroud, Fields, Haskins, Jones, Pryor. The list goes on. Weirdly, due to changes in the style of offenses in the NFL changing these guys keep getting drafted higher and higher despite performing the same.

Oh I agree. Stay away from OSU QBs, has there ever been one that has worked out in the NFL? Not in my memory. 

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

What is it now, 10 straight wins by the Niners since we traded for their 1st?? God damn

I am actually rooting for the 49ers; so many Colorado connections there: CMC, Kyle, Lynch.  They are what I want the Broncos to be.  System oriented, with not just one good running back, but a whole stable of them, amazing defense, and coaches who can make great in game adjustments.  I mean the Seahawks were winning at the half, and then got hammered in the second half.  That was coaching going in at half changing the game plan right away. 

• Like 5

On 1/15/2023 at 4:49 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

I am actually rooting for the 49ers; so many Colorado connections there: CMC, Kyle, Lynch.  They are what I want the Broncos to be.  System oriented, with not just one good running back, but a whole stable of them, amazing defense, and coaches who can make great in game adjustments.  I mean the Seahawks were winning at the half, and then got hammered in the second half.  That was coaching going in at half changing the game plan right away. 

Yeah, Niners are my team the rest of the way too. Jacksonville a sentimental favorite in the AFC but no way I see them getting past KC at Arrowhead. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah, Niners are my team the rest of the way too. Jacksonville a sentimental favorite in the AFC but no way I see them getting past KC at Arrowhead. 

Agreed on the niners. I’ve been pulling for the bills all season because of Von and Josh Allen (been a fan of his back to the college days)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Agreed on the niners. I’ve been pulling for the bills all season because of Von and Josh Allen (been a fan of his back to the college days)

Same. I don’t know how I forgot about the Bills in that post, my preseason SB pick was Bills/Niners. Even though Josh is a Wyoming alumni, and a lot of my fellow CSU alumna don’t like him, I do. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Same. I don’t know how I forgot about the Bills in that post, my preseason SB pick was Bills/Niners. Even though Josh is a Wyoming alumni, and a lot of my fellow CSU alumna don’t like him, I do. 

Bills vs 49ers in the Super Bowl would be insane.  Didn't Chris Burman keeping picking this Super Bowl in the mid 90s. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There is just no way I can root for the Jags.  I am still salty from the 1996 divisional loss to them.   Mark Brunell can go pound rocks.  He seems like an exceedingly nice guy, but I don't like him. 

Edited by jsthomp2007
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

There is just no way I can root for the Jags.  I am still salty from the 1996 divisional loss to them.   Mark Brunell can go pound rocks.  He seems like an exceedingly nice guy, but I don't like him. 

To the man, the guys from the 97 and 98 SB winning teams say that loss to Jacksonville in 96 brought them the subsequent SBs. So I’ve leaned to forgive and forget, so to speak, though that loss was the most crushing at the time .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

To the man, the guys from the 97 and 98 SB winning teams say that loss to Jacksonville in 96 brought them the subsequent SBs. So I’ve leaned to forgive and forget, so to speak, though that loss was the most crushing at the time .

I can see that.  But that 96 team was even better than the 97 and 98 teams...well, maybe not the 98 team...but I get how that probably motivated them. 

10 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I can see that.  But that 96 team was even better than the 97 and 98 teams...well, maybe not the 98 team...but I get how that probably motivated them. 

The 96 team was legit. But the Packers were stronger in 96 than 97 so who knows how SB31 would have gone. A lot of people also think the 2012 team was the best of the Peyton era. But we went in 2013 and won 2015. So who knows lol.

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't really hate Jacksonville for that. There are two plays that were the most costly:

1. The Tory James PI early in the second quarter. He was going for the ball, and barely grazed the WR before getting the INT. It was a terrible call. Denver was up 12-0 at that time, and probably go on to win if they get that pick.

2. The Michael Dean Perry play on the punt return team in the third quarter (when he didn't get off the field in time). That is another stupid enforcement of that rule. Perry was near the sideline running off the field and nowhere near the action when the Broncos were flagged (12 men on the field). If the officials missed that call, and the Broncos came back to win, I wouldn't care how much the Jags fans complained. That was a dumb enforcement of the rule that had no bearing on anything. 

13 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

This year show the benefit of a good HC - the Jags were brutal in Wembley and we rightly won the game - it was a false dawn and we went downhill completely while they hit an upward trajectory winning 7 out of 9 and their last 5 in a row.