2023 NFL Draft Thread

broncos67

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, if we accumulated more Day 2 picks, I could see RB going for sure, if Javonte's future is still worrisome by April.   Just if you look at the FA RB class, and our T/IOL needs that are likely going to be massive with a poor IOL FA class....I dunno.     The Javonte injury is so crushing on many fronts - not just this year, but in future planning (and the reality is even if he's still going to be OK and return to his former self - he can return to play much of 2023, but he won't be elite-skill Javonte until 2024.  Maybe with his punishing style, we won't see a big diff, but still stings 6+ weeks later).

He's never going to be the same running back. If he is, it would certainly be against the odds. His knee is basically shredded, so even if he does come back strong, his explosion is going to take a hit and I did see some statistic suggesting that players with that type of injury rarely come back to previous form.

I don't think we can afford to take a RB ahead of some other positions, but if we view the run game as critical to the success of the offense, a RB along with OL is going to need to be a focal point of the offseason, with or without Javonte coming back healthy IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

3. OL: maybe??? Living in Vikings territory, I can’t remember that team having many years of even average OL play. 

Kind of off topic but I'm curious how Kupers doing. I've read a couple of articles with people raving about the OL. Anyway just curious.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

He's never going to be the same running back. If he is, it would certainly be against the odds. His knee is basically shredded, so even if he does come back strong, his explosion is going to take a hit and I did see some statistic suggesting that players with that type of injury rarely come back to previous form.

I don't think we can afford to take a RB ahead of some other positions, but if we view the run game as critical to the success of the offense, a RB along with OL is going to need to be a focal point of the offseason, with or without Javonte coming back healthy IMO.

For 2023 it’s going to be a priority for sure.   It’s just unlike most years you can’t get a difference maker in FA cheaply or who’s on their 3rd contract.  This offseason FA class is very different in its depth - that FA list is something we’ve not seen in terms of impact RB in 10+ years.    Usually you have 1-2 guys who would step in and start on decent teams - this year there’s at least 5-6, if not more.    To be clear I think we should hit both FA & draft regardless.  Just who we get in FA will likely affect where we go RB wise.    

And I’m not against RB day 2 either - just that the draft class is so deep waiting to Rd4/5 isn’t crazy if that’s what Paton chooses.  The talent this year in both FA and draft classes makes that more possible than other years.    It’s a good year to be in the market for RB help.   

Edited by Broncofan

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but are there any OL prospects that we could realistically target with the 49ers pick? I don't pay enough attention to college football to have a good read on top prospects, but I think some premium picks absolutely need to be invested into the RT/C position. 

Edited by MontanaBronco

18 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but are their any OL prospects that we could realistically target with the 49ers pick? I don't pay enough attention to college football to have a good read on top prospects, but I think some premium picks absolutely need to be invested into the RT/C position. 

There are some dandies. The problem is we have no one to coach them. Same with LB's on defense, no NFL coaches. Until we make some changes OL and LB are almost wasted picks. 

• Like 1

One thing I will say related to the draft and defense... initially I had CB pegged as a position of early need in the draft. I still think we need additional CB depth, but Damarri Mathis has looked awesome since that first baptism by fire game he played. He's aggressive and continues to improve. Pair him with Surtain and K'waun and that's a good trio to build on for 2023.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

One thing I will say related to the draft and defense... initially I had CB pegged as a position of early need in the draft. I still think we need additional CB depth, but Damarri Mathis has looked awesome since that first baptism by fire game he played. He's aggressive and continues to improve. Pair him with Surtain and K'waun and that's a good trio to build on for 2023.

It makes it a no-brainer to let Ronald Darby go.   I've been on that boat from the moment he was IR'd - he won't be as good post-ACL year 1 anyways, and 10M is too much for that level of play decline, esp with a cheaper alternative.    Mathis' development so far really helps team construction. 

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

As regards CB I think you sign somewhat inexpensive veteran for depth but then still draft a guy with traits you like in the mid-rounds. I agree on Mathis, he's really impressed since that disaster in game one, kudos to the kid for getting past that looking at a potentially bright future. 

Yep, this is where I come in. Let's get some reliable veteran depth and roll with what we have. No need to keep Darby around unless he'd like to take a pay cut. At some point you have to lean on the cheaper talent you have and plug holes elsewhere.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, MontanaBronco said:

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but are there any OL prospects that we could realistically target with the 49ers pick? I don't pay enough attention to college football to have a good read on top prospects, but I think some premium picks absolutely need to be invested into the RT/C position. 

Broderick Jones is an option. O'Cyrus Torrance could be an option at that stage of R1. John Michael Schmitz could be an option at OC in R2/R3

On 12/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, broncos67 said:

Broderick Jones is an option. O'Cyrus Torrance could be an option at that stage of R1. John Michael Schmitz could be an option at OC in R2/R3

Love Jones but I suspect he will be long gone by our pick.

not a fan of Torrance that high. Reminds me quite a bit of Muti. Destroys guys in the run game but lacks the feet for pass pro.

also not a fan of JMS. I see him high on a lot of draft boards. It during the 3 games I’ve seen this year I was not overly impressed. I think he will be a solid starter in this league, but while he has great hands and moves well in the box, he lacks an anchor and lumbers on reach blocks and at the second level. Reminds me of LC3. 

@MontanaBroncohere’s what I wrote earlier about the linemen I’d target in the late 1st and on day 2.

OT:

Anton Harrison, OU: huge frame but lacks the sand in his pants at this point. Very smooth mirroring his opposition. Aggressive strong hands. Quick off the ball. Always takes the right angles. Great footwork. Hips like a CB, just flips them soooo smoothly. Definitely more finesse than mauler. Likely falls due to the fact that he needs time in the gym but I see pro bowl LT potential there. 

Carter Warren, Pitt: super smooth athlete, great feet and mirror. Active in the run game but not… nasty? Doesn’t seem to have that finisher instinct. Honestly reminds me of Tony Jones.

Parris Johnson, OSU: great physical traits. Great technique when employed correctly. My concern with his is his slow reaction time. Always seems a half beat behind off the line, and a half beat behind when being stunted on. Maybe that improves with coaching? I think he will be taken in the first round based off of his potential but I would be hesitant to take him before the 2nd round.

Dawand Jones, OSU: let’s talk about Johnson’s partner on the right. Dude destroys everyone in his path. Long arms that latch on and don’t let go. Horrible feet. Reminds me of Muti. He will do well on a power run team like the titans, ravens, or cowboys. Given that Russ loves the deep ball probably not a fit for us.

Darnell Wright, Tenn: playing out of position this year as a LT. Looks like a smaller slightly faster Dawand Jones. Where as jones is such a dichotomy when comparing his run game to his pass pro, Wright is more of a regression to the mean. Still better in the run game than the pass game but not as dominant/much of a liability as Jones.

OC: Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia: not sure if he comes out as he’s a RS sophomore, but man o man do I love watching this kid play. Aggressive hands. Good anchor. Great feet in the box and on the move. Honestly he might be such a riser that we have to spend our first on him and I’m Ok with that.

Andrew Raym, OU: another kid I love to watch play. Another kid I could see eventually earn a 1st round grade. When I first saw him play I thought it was creed Humphrey highlights. Size, athleticism, technique. He has it all. Will only have a year of experience and this I worry about that. How does he respond when teams adjust for him?

Jarrett Patterson, ND: solid technique, aggressive in the run game. Apparently has never given up a sack in his career but I honestly don’t know how. He has a great anchor but sloppy feet in recovery. His biggest issue is that he’s so damn tall that it may prove to be too much of an issue with our QB

• Like 1

I haven’t really watched any of these guys, just don’t have the time in the fall.

I did see McShay’s mock so I pulled up some highlights of Jamyr Gibbs at Alabama.  Again it was a 3 minute highlight, but that’s a player Denver could use.  The running game HAS to function at a top 10 level with Wilson.  I know Williams may never be the same, but a Williams/Gibbs timeshare is a heck of a RB tandem.  Gibbs speed and suddenness would be a welcomed addition. 

18 hours ago, germ-x said:

I haven’t really watched any of these guys, just don’t have the time in the fall.

I did see McShay’s mock so I pulled up some highlights of Jamyr Gibbs at Alabama.  Again it was a 3 minute highlight, but that’s a player Denver could use.  The running game HAS to function at a top 10 level with Wilson.  I know Williams may never be the same, but a Williams/Gibbs timeshare is a heck of a RB tandem.  Gibbs speed and suddenness would be a welcomed addition. 

Can’t afford to use a 1st on a RB, Javier’s health notwithstanding. Have to build the trenches. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Can’t afford to use a 1st on a RB, Javier’s health notwithstanding. Have to build the trenches. 

And it’s a banner year for draft RB.  Which means Rd3-4 you can likely find guys normally going in R2 in other years   Difference-makers not Booker-type reaches (I like many others bought the kool aid then).  

Depth of difference-making talent makes a big diff here along with the devaluation of the RB position as a whole.  

Edited by Broncofan