2023 NFL Draft Thread

broncos67

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Can’t afford to use a 1st on a RB, Javier’s health notwithstanding. Have to build the trenches. 

I agree with you, with the exception of Bijan Robinson. If he's there, I would take him. 

First and foremost, Denver needs to sign two starters on the OL in free agency. I'd say 3 OL at a minimum but the money needs to be spent there. Assuming that happens, I then spend draft capital on: more OL, DL, WR, and RB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with you, with the exception of Bijan Robinson. If he's there, I would take him. 

First and foremost, Denver needs to sign two starters on the OL in free agency. I'd say 3 OL at a minimum but the money needs to be spent there. Assuming that happens, I then spend draft capital on: more OL, DL, WR, and RB.

Sadly it’s not a great year in FA for OL.  Why the draft is going to be crucial to rebuild there imo.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Sadly it’s not a great year in FA for OL.  Why the draft is going to be crucial to rebuild there imo.  

Eh, there's some guys I think are worth a 2-year ish contract if the price is right. I wouldn't mind going after Mike McGlinchey. Also wouldn't mind Kaleb McGary - PFF graded him extremely well this year. Interior OL kinda stinks in FA this year, but I'd see if Rodney Hudson was interested in a 1-year deal or something. I think it's critical to find a capable veteran OC and draft a guy early at that spot.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Eh, there's some guys I think are worth a 2-year ish contract if the price is right. I wouldn't mind going after Mike McGlinchey. Also wouldn't mind Kaleb McGary - PFF graded him extremely well this year. Interior OL kinda stinks in FA this year, but I'd see if Rodney Hudson was interested in a 1-year deal or something. I think it's critical to find a capable veteran OC and draft a guy early at that spot.

Sadly, I suspect McGary either gets tagged by ATL or gets extended - they've had a hard time getting FA's to come, so tagging exclusive rights to him and transition tag Rashaan Evans (or vice-versa) if they can't get an extension done.   Local reports surfaced they have already discussed a 4-year/70M (!!!) extension.    McGlinchey is OK, and SF def has harder decisions to make - just that those are about the only peak-year guys left - Orlando Brown wants LT money (and IMO isn't that good to get even top RT $), and Jack Conklin is coming off ACL surgery.     The next alternatives are young but unproven guys (Dillard, Wynn, J-Taylor).    But at least there are choices.

Still, we could likely find a stop-gap, or higher-ceiling unproven FA RT - but as you referenced with the 2-year deal, we really need to find a long-term RT solution (and C as well).   Sadly, the draft is really our best option for C/G - IOL is really in a bad spot FA-wise (ironic that T depth at FA far surpasses IOL, that's almost always the other way around, in a year we likely need to upgrade 2 IOL spots).

Either way, it would be ideal to get 1-2 FA's, and hopefully a starter level T player - only so it doesn't force us to reach badly R1.    If the BPA is a C/G, then great.   If it's a T, great.    In the 20's, I doubt there will be enough of a gap that you have a non-OL that's head and shoulders above - and in those situations, need is quite justifiable as the tiebreaker.  But in a perfect world, Paton isn't swayed by need in going after T, G/C, etc.   It's iffier to project starter-level C/G's we'd feel comfortable from the FA group (ironically, Risner will likely be very much in demand as one of the top G's available).

Edited by Broncofan

On 12/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, broncos67 said:

Realistically as a fan I think we can say we have 2 starters currently on the roster in Bolles and Meinerz.  How they feel about Cushenberry will be interesting as he’s already on the roster, cheap, and has his moments both good and bad. 

Risner is also interesting.  He’s an average player, but at one point I remember reading that him being from Colorado and keeping him around held some weight.  As of less than a month ago Denver reportedly hadn’t talked to him about an extension.  To me that means unless he’s willing to give a discount he will be gone.

IMO, Denver has to come out of FA with a starting OG and starting RT.  Just don’t think you bank on a late 1st round pick along the OL stepping in day 1 and being a terrific player.  Doesn’t mean you still can’t draft a guy along the line at that pick, but Denver’s window is short.  4-5 years and when they went all in on Wilson at 34 years old it means they’re in a window.

Spend FA money along the OL.  Use early draft picks on positions that can help immediately and later picks on building depth with physically talented players.

The Oline has to be the priority this offseason, with all the injuries it's apparent that our depth was either over-rated or continuously injured. Since Wilson is our best hope to get the offense competitive, we've got to give him some better protection.  Our RT has never been upgraded over the past several years and has been one of our Achilles heels, it needs to be addresses. 

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

The Oline has to be the priority this offseason, with all the injuries it's apparent that our depth was either over-rated or continuously injured. Since Wilson is our best hope to get the offense competitive, we've got to give him some better protection.  Our RT has never been upgraded over the past several years and has been one of our Achilles heels, it needs to be addresses. 

Definitely has to be a priority.  But the injury portion is just bad luck, to an extent.  Lose your best lineman in Bolles early in the year and never really had a healthy RT to begin with.  So you’re piecing together edge protection.  

Starting OC gets hurt and both guards have been hurt off and on throughout the year.

There’s just bad luck in some of this.  When you’re dipping into 3rd string depth often you just aren’t going to be good.  Don’t care who the GM or Coach is.  That’s just what happens.  

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

^^^ That’s why you pay a guy $250M….to make up for those injuries and offensive deficiencies and be a playoff team.  

Well, Wilson has taken a beating under the poor excuse of an Oline that we're put in from of hon this year. Injuries haven't help but when he has more DE/DT's surround him than O-linemen that's makes it an issue.

13 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, Wilson has taken a beating under the poor excuse of an Oline that we're put in from of hon this year. Injuries haven't help but when he has more DE/DT's surround him than O-linemen that's makes it an issue.

To an extent. But Russ has the 3rd most pocket time in the NFL this season (2.5 seconds on average from snap to pass/pressure/sack). How much better would our OL (and the rest of the team by extension) look if our $250M man was even league average?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

To an extent. But Russ has the 3rd most pocket time in the NFL this season (2.5 seconds on average from snap to pass/pressure/sack). How much better would our OL (and the rest of the team by extension) look if our $250M man was even league average?

No doubt Russ can do better, can't say some of his reads haven't been a tad questionable, he and Hackett need to get on the same page. I'm just pointing out that Fleming, Compton, Turner, et al haven't exactly been stellar in protections. If you guys want to blame it all on Russ, knock yourselves out, but I can't say I like what I see on the over=rated and injured O-line.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

No doubt Russ can do better, can't say some of his reads haven't been a tad questionable, he and Hackett need to get on the same page. I'm just pointing out that Fleming, Compton, Turner, et al haven't exactly been stellar in protections. If you guys want to blame it all on Russ, knock yourselves out, but I can't say I like what I see on the over=rated and injured O-line.

No doubt that the OL has been decimated and playing subpar. But the fact remains that when you pay a QB that much it’s with the implicit understanding that doing so means you’ll have less for other positions (especially depth) so they better be able to overcome that. We should not be making the same excuses for Russ that we made for Teddy B. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

No doubt that the OL has been decimated and playing subpar. But the fact remains that when you pay a QB that much it’s with the implicit understanding that doing so means you’ll have less for other positions (especially depth) so they better be able to overcome that. We should not be making the same excuses for Russ that we made for Teddy B. 

I am with you.  I understand there are times the OL is just getting destroyed and there’s nothing to be done, but there’s a lot of times the OL is getting blamed for sacks when Wilson needs to be getting rid of the ball, problem is he doesn’t know where to go.  Tony Romo pointed this out multiple times vs the Rams.

In terms of sack being weighted into a QBs QBR (sack is expected points added with low leverage plays down weighted) Wilson has been one of the worst if not the worst in the NFL during his career.  His average ranking over 11 years is 28th in the NFL and his average score is -18.5.  This season he is 33rd with a 19.4, so this is a typical season in that category for Wilson.  He’s actually had 3 worse years in 2018, ‘19, and ‘20 where he had scores of -23.5, 20.6, and 20.7.

Again, I know the OL isn’t good, but Wilson is the worst QB in the league at helping an OL out.  The best finish he’s actually ever had in that category is 22nd in the league and that was his rookie year.  That’s an 11 year sample.  

• Like 1

Yeah what can do you at this point? 

The Walmarts are going to fire Hackett, fairly or not, I mean there’s no way from a PR perspective they cannot.

But Wilson is the problem. There are other problems, yes, but Russ is far and away the biggest and I’m not sure how fairly we can judge the other problems with his rank incompetence affecting everything. 

And in light of that, now I don’t even know what to do. Crazy as it sounds, it should be seriously considered just outright cutting him, taking the $100m hit, tanking the 2023 season, and starting clean in 2024.

We would have our full slate of draft picks back and probably some $150+ million in cap space. It would be unprecedented and make next season a complete lost cause. But it might be the healthiest long term for the franchise. 

Instead, I’m sure They’re going to go get a veteran HC and a veteran staff, probably some coaches with whom Russ has worked with in the past and try to sell us on that. I know, as I think most of us here do, that it won’t work. And we’ll be right back here a year from now. It’s just like how (most) of us here knew going with Teddy and Vic last year was a wasted season. 

I’d rather make 2023 a wasted season by cutting Russ and taking the hit and playing what would literally be a team of rookies, UDFAs and the few pieces we have now than trying to delude ourselves into thinking a new HC will “fix” Russ and all will be well. 

I’ve checked out on this season and, quite frankly, while I’ll pay attention to what we do from January through April, I’m fairly certain I’ll be checked out on next season even before training camp kicks off.

As I said a couple weeks ago, there are so many interesting teams playing fun to watch football, why waste my time watching this team. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3