3 starters got to IR - Long, Lauvao & Thompson. Pete Robertson ILB/OLB added to 53 man

turtle28

He has potential, but needs a little more development. He definitely flashed in preseason some at OLB.

I forget exactly what his back story was but he had an injury that nearly cost him his football career several years ago either before the draft or during the draft or something and worked his way back.

He was a stud from what I remember on those horrible Texas Tech defenses from like 4 or 5 years ago. Great pass rusher 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We'll that's good. We definitely need someone to stand on the sidelines next to our second round FB/OLB that they refuse to play. 

Anderson plays, he’s just not as good yet as the 3 vets infront of him. They were trying Robertson out at ILB when they re-signed him to the practice squad. Perhaps they should do the same with Anderson as Mike23MD and others have suggested since we drafted him.

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Yes, moving him inside would be an absolutely great idea. Can’t see Robertson doing anything but earning a check and wearing a crisp clean uniform. 

Sometimes I really wonder about the personnel this team has and how they utilize them. 

In defense of them, Anderson is a rookie still developing as an nfl OLB. He has never played ILB, not even in college for 4 years that I know of. It doesn’t hurt to try Anderson at ILB to see how he does, but my guess is he’ll be great vs the run but atrocious vs the pass. I guess he’d fit right in with our starting ILBs then! Lol 

9 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Anderson is an edge rusher. He's Juinior Gallette. He does not have the skill set nor experience to legitimately play in coverage.

Frankly, I hope Robertson gets a lot of time. I'd like to see what he can do.

Robertson is an OLB too, he played DE in college at Texas tech and was one of the best pass rushers in the NCAA. They’re trying him at ILB but, they’ve been working with him there for a while, unlike Anderson.

Playing Devil's Advocate here but maybe because Robertson has been a PS guy versus a roster guy like Anderson they have a little more flexibility and time to experiment with Robertson in other spots (like ILB). If it doesn't pan out the Skins could move on to Plan B. OK, I'm not too convinced that a Plan B exists. Plan 9 From Outer Space more likely...O.o 

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We'll that's good. We definitely need someone to stand on the sidelines next to our second round FB/OLB that they refuse to play. 

Honestly they might as well have used Anderson on that 3rd and 1 situation literally they love not having  legit full back.

gruden has completely forgotten that Niles Paul is pretty good at Te when given a chance .

smh 

A little different than what normally happens. College FB's usually get transitioned to LB in the pro's. I guess I'm kinda old school but I like having a real Fullback. They're a dying breed and I guess most think a TE can fill that position and save a roster spot and I get that but just don't feel the same. My opinion -

An FB should be as wide as he is tall. If you're over 6' tall you can't be a FB and have to be no less than 240 pounds.
Always have to block & drill the through the line. Protect the QB at all costs.
If you get the rock, make the 1st down or TD.
Can't drop a pass. Pretty much never. Can't fumble either. Ever.

I remember when Scot drafted a FB & Jay said something to the effect of he didn't know what to do with a FB because he never had one.

Not many left but I do miss those guys. 

12 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

A little different than what normally happens. College FB's usually get transitioned to LB in the pro's. I guess I'm kinda old school but I like having a real Fullback. They're a dying breed and I guess most think a TE can fill that position and save a roster spot and I get that but just don't feel the same. My opinion -

An FB should be as wide as he is tall. If you're over 6' tall you can't be a FB and have to be no less than 240 pounds.
Always have to block & drill the through the line. Protect the QB at all costs.
If you get the rock, make the 1st down or TD.
Can't drop a pass. Pretty much never. Can't fumble either. Ever.

I remember when Scot drafted a FB & Jay said something to the effect of he didn't know what to do with a FB because he never had one.

Not many left but I do miss those guys. 

Paul has done a pretty good job as a FB & HB (TE on the move) he’s 6’1, 240 something I think. So he fits those positions well and he still has WR skills as he showed off on the slant vs the Saints because thats the position he came into the nfl playing. They actually should use him more than they do but it’s hard when you have Davis balling out downfield as a seam route runner and drag route runner as well and when Reed comes back it will mean less time for Paul.

We should work out Khyri Thompson, at 6’1, 315 or so he’d be a good NT option for us seeing as we don’t really have one right now.

Thornton appeared in 13 games while making six starts for the Lions last season. He recorded 18 tackles and a sack last season before being suspended the first six games of this year due to violations of the league’s substance-abuse policy. He appeared in 23 games for Detroit over the last three seasons.

Thornton was a third round pick of the Green Bay Packers in 2014. He never appeared in a game for the Packers after a hamstring injury landed him on injured reserve at the end of training camp. He was waived the following September, claimed by the New England Patriots and waived again a month later.

Archived