Week 12 GDT - Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't mind them taking the time before he starts, but we are one of the least talented and most banged up teams in the NFL. Regardless of when he's finally tapped to start, the deck will be stacked against him. 

I don't think we are that banged up offensively anymore. Both tackles are healthy and Kittle/Taylor should also be returning. Defensively it is a different story, though getting healthier. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't mind them taking the time before he starts, but we are one of the least talented and most banged up teams in the NFL. Regardless of when he's finally tapped to start, the deck will be stacked against him. 

I'll take my chances in the final couple of games though compared to next week and onward. At least then he'd have some more time to learn the system. 

Ideally I'd love to have him just wait until next year. 

Did the 49ers extend Garoppolo? I don't understand why they would trade a high second round draft pick for him, not start him and if he's not extended yet, could just leave as an UFA because even the 49ers can't be stupid enough to franchise tag the guy. I haven't really followed anything this year but come on, play the guy!!!

EDIT: Never mind. Looked up their cap room for 2018 and holy crap!!! Guess they will be franchising him if they can't extend him before UFA starts.

4 hours ago, dan77733 said:

Did the 49ers extend Garoppolo? I don't understand why they would trade a high second round draft pick for him, not start him and if he's not extended yet, could just leave as an UFA because even the 49ers can't be stupid enough to franchise tag the guy. I haven't really followed anything this year but come on, play the guy!!!

EDIT: Never mind. Looked up their cap room for 2018 and holy crap!!! Guess they will be franchising him if they can't extend him before UFA starts.

This is one of the scenarios where the franchise tag benefits the FO and the player. Though he was impressive in his first two starts, Jimmy G is still a unknown commodity. I think it would be much smarter to franchise him for one year and see how he performs over a season rather than extend him based on a handful of meaningless games. It might cost us a little more if he peforms the way most expext him to but i think that is a problem Lynch and the FO would gladly welcome. And from the player perspective, Jimmy G gets to cash in, for a year at least. Its a substanial pay increase with more likely to come if he performs up to his capabilites. A win/win for both parties as far as I'm concern.

Yeah, I don't think Jimmy is in a position where he would be against being franchise tagged. I know in many cases, players resent being tagged, but I don't think he's really in a position to command a really huge long-term contract if he were to hit free agency. Taking the one year 21m guaranteed money and playing for that huge extension is the wiser play for Garoppolo, and for the team. If he hit free agency, I'm not sure he would even get much more than 21m guaranteed over the entire length of his contract. So getting it for one year and then signing an extension with potentially even more guaranteed money is a no-brainer.

Plus, if we have a good offseason with a few good additions on offense, it will only make it that much easier for him to increase his worth.

BeatHard had mini-camp, OTAs, four preseason games and sat pretty much the first six weeks, then played four games to get where he is, and we're not even sure he's totally in control of the offense. Garoppolo has had a month, only. 

14 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Yeah, I don't think Jimmy is in a position where he would be against being franchise tagged. I know in many cases, players resent being tagged, but I don't think he's really in a position to command a really huge long-term contract if he were to hit free agency. Taking the one year 21m guaranteed money and playing for that huge extension is the wiser play for Garoppolo, and for the team. If he hit free agency, I'm not sure he would even get much more than 21m guaranteed over the entire length of his contract. So getting it for one year and then signing an extension with potentially even more guaranteed money is a no-brainer.

Plus, if we have a good offseason with a few good additions on offense, it will only make it that much easier for him to increase his worth.

BeatHard had mini-camp, OTAs, four preseason games and sat pretty much the first six weeks, then played four games to get where he is, and we're not even sure he's totally in control of the offense. Garoppolo has had a month, only. 

And that's why I really dont get why ppl want to rush him onto the field. It doesnt benefit him nor us to throw him into the fire with only a fraction of the playbook at his disposal. It wont give us a clear indication of his capabilties and may hurt Shanny's ability to call the game the way he would like. His time will come but I'm in no hurry to see it happen, this year at least. 

23 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Watching the Seahawks lose is just one of those little joys in life that weigh more than draft position for me. It's unlikely, but I'd have so much fun if we beat them.

Agreed.  I was watching the Seahawks/Falcons game and I can't tell you how elated I was when that field goal fell just short. 

9 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Agreed.  I was watching the Seahawks/Falcons game and I can't tell you how elated I was when that field goal fell just short. 

I didn't even watch that game, but I think I'll have a look now. That has to be a fun sight.

11 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I didn't even watch that game, but I think I'll have a look now. That has to be a fun sight.

The best part about it was that it was straight down the middle. Off of the foot you thought he nailed it, so I went from pure elation (atl up 11 with like 3 minutes left) to anxious/angry (Seattle brought it within three then got the ball back with 1:45 left in the game) to furious the game was going to OT. Then next thing you know the game was over and I was PUMPED lol

4 hours ago, N4L said:

The best part about it was that it was straight down the middle. Off of the foot you thought he nailed it, so I went from pure elation (atl up 11 with like 3 minutes left) to anxious/angry (Seattle brought it within three then got the ball back with 1:45 left in the game) to furious the game was going to OT. Then next thing you know the game was over and I was PUMPED lol

This just all sounds wonderful. I think I'll be foregoing the thanksgiving games and watching this instead.

Archived