Week 11 GDT: Raiders at Broncos

NYRaider

Will we bounce back?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Winner of the Toilet Bowl?

• Raiders
    • Broncos

10 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I get it a w is a w and it’s a rival but I know ima get roasted but us celebrating that much is kinda sad. This is what we’ve become now…

reminds me of kc saying the raiders/kc games are the super bowl to us but just a reg season game to them.

Doesn’t Andy Reid have ‘Raider’ week ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I get it a w is a w and it’s a rival but I know ima get roasted but us celebrating that much is kinda sad. This is what we’ve become now…

Meh. The team has been on the wrong side of close games/nail biting finishes almost every game this year. They've also been under heavy scrutiny from the media and fanbase. I'm sure they were just super stoked to get a win, lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Josh has been a hard runner every year for us. I dont think this is a contract year type scenario. 
I just think its his first time staying healthy (knock on wood), matched with DA who is pulling defenders back. 

Will be interesting to see his market after this year no doubt. 

Josh has always ran hard and aggressive, and yes he’s having a good year. But anyone who doesn’t think contract at least has a little something to do with it is not being realistic, and I like josh a lot fwiw. However, I’ve watched every game and he is getting dinged up. He was limping slightly Sunday, but he’s playing through it, and of course he is, I don’t blame him! RBs usually only get 1 shot at a big time pay day. So grab that sh*t while ya can!!! And plz for the love of Christ let’s not turn my post into some big friggin debate, it’s not hate, just nfl reality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell played a ton early on because of his draft status. We've had two defensive coordinators since Guenther that run very different schemes and both guys immediately went after a top tier pass rushing option in free agency to ensure that he wasn't anything more than a role player/rotational guy. I disagree that he hasn't received strong coaching, Rod Marinelli and Gus Bradley are two guys that have built championship caliber defenses. 

The losing weight, moving positions, etc. aren't valid excuses for him. Maxx Crosby was a 4th round pick and he has been able to play well regardless of the scheme that we've used or things that we've asked him to do. Good players find a way to make plays when they're on the field. 

If Ferrell wasn't the former #4 overall pick no one would be talking about him at all, he's unspectacular in all facets. We currently have the worst defensive line in the league and he hasn't been able to seize the opportunity to play a ton because he doesn't produce when he plays either. If he's one of your starters you know that it's going to be a long season, I'll pass on any DL that can't rush the passer. 

I don’t disagree with most of that, you raise some very good points. I get your point with Crosby and clearly he’s head and shoulders a much better player and would probably succeed anywhere, however that doesn’t mean that we haven’t stymied other players development which I think is what happened here with Ferrell. We’ll see if he amounts to anything or nothing, it’s pretty clear he was well over drafted but it would be nice to get something out of our draft capital 🙂

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t disagree with most of that, you raise some very good points. I get your point with Crosby and clearly he’s head and shoulders a much better player and would probably succeed anywhere, however that doesn’t mean that we haven’t stymied other players development which I think is what happened here with Ferrell. We’ll see if he amounts to anything or nothing, it’s pretty clear he was well over drafted but it would be nice to get something out of our draft capital 🙂

How did we stunt his development? The guy that drafted him played him even though he was ineffective and two championship level coaches viewed him as a rotational player. He lacks bend/burst and just can't get off blocks consistently. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How did we stunt his development? The guy that drafted him played him even though he was ineffective and two championship level coaches viewed him as a rotational player. He lacks bend/burst and just can't get off blocks consistently. 

By giving him a godawful coach in Paul Guenther first of all, by asking him to change roles and add/subtract weight, he also was playing quite well if I recall his first year then was ill and lost a pile of weight and his year tailed off. It is true, he has always lacked bend and explosion but I would also contend that Paul Guenther didn't have a clue what he was doing (I don't think i need to evidence this statement) and then Ferrell clearly wasn't a fit for what Gus Bradley wanted from his ends and recently we've been playing him infrequently even played him in coverage 😁! He was interviewed in pre-season and said he was now being used as an OLB or stand up rusher which is clearly not his skill set.

He is a solid, hand in the dirt, base DE who can shift inside on some downs. If we play him as such we will get better results. Jones has been such a disappointment I would like to see Ferrell taking some of his snaps. He did in this last game in fact, and what do you know, he looked OK. He does have the power element of his game to complement Crosby.

Now, that's not to say he'll be great or even good but I'd like us to try and play him to his strengths a bit as I think it's pretty clear that we've not done that and for a young player he has probably lost a lot of confidence and this has stunted his development.

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

By giving him a godawful coach in Paul Guenther first of all, by asking him to change roles and add/subtract weight, he also was playing quite well if I recall his first year then was ill and lost a pile of weight and his year tailed off. It is true, he has always lacked bend and explosion but I would also contend that Paul Guenther didn't have a clue what he was doing (I don't think i need to evidence this statement) and then Ferrell clearly wasn't a fit for what Gus Bradley wanted from his ends and recently we've been playing him infrequently even played him in coverage 😁! He was interviewed in pre-season and said he was now being used as an OLB or stand up rusher which is clearly not his skill set.

He is a solid, hand in the dirt, base DE who can shift inside on some downs. If we play him as such we will get better results. Jones has been such a disappointment I would like to see Ferrell taking some of his snaps. He did in this last game in fact, and what do you know, he looked OK. He does have the power element of his game to complement Crosby.

Now, that's not to say he'll be great or even good but I'd like us to try and play him to his strengths a bit as I think it's pretty clear that we've not done that and for a young player he has probably lost a lot of confidence and this has stunted his development.

I agree his natural position is 4-3 base de 2nd would be 3-4 de. Iirc he got in buck dog house for going offsides then mayowa shined out. Then he had the health issues. I think he could be a solid contributor to a dline rotation 

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Ferrell has really only had two good games his entire time here. You can diss Paul Guenther but we've seen numerous defensive lineman/ends thrive in his system. The issue with him was that his system was extremely vanilla so for DL to thrive they had to be able to beat guys one on one and make plays. When Ferrell was put into that role he wasn't able to produce consistently because he's just not physically gifted enough to consistently win as a pass rusher. 

What exactly are his strengths? Zero pass rushing ability and an average run defender that can shift inside?

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I agree his natural position is 4-3 base de 2nd would be 3-4 de. Iirc he got in buck dog house for going offsides then mayowa shined out. Then he had the health issues. I think he could be a solid contributor to a dline rotation 

He got a scholarship his first two years and did nothing with it. But it's probably just three different DC's and four different DL coaches that have failed to see and utilize his greatness rather than him just not being good, lol.

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

Doesn’t Andy Reid have ‘Raider’ week ? 

LOL pretty sure before our game 1 people were talking about Mahommes being a great leader because at the end of some clip he says, we know who we are playing next week. LOL

Anything Carr does, is just wrong to some people. 

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sorry to get your nappy in a twist. 

Thanks for showing your ***. 

I'm good.  Not sure what your deal is? I've acknowledged your opinion and left it at that.  

Do you really want to be compared to Bay or Buck for beating on a dead horse?

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Josh has always ran hard and aggressive, and yes he’s having a good year. But anyone who doesn’t think contract at least has a little something to do with it is not being realistic, and I like josh a lot fwiw. However, I’ve watched every game and he is getting dinged up. He was limping slightly Sunday, but he’s playing through it, and of course he is, I don’t blame him! RBs usually only get 1 shot at a big time pay day. So grab that sh*t while ya can!!! And plz for the love of Christ let’s not turn my post into some big friggin debate, it’s not hate, just nfl reality. 

Yeah but hes played through injuries for us every year. 
He is a gamer who wants to be on the field IMO. 
Even with our brutal Oline, he has still had some bigger wholes this year, and I think for once isnt bottom in the league in yards before contact, for a 'slow' RB, its even more important to give him time to get feet moving. 

But yes, Ill agree, im sure its in the back of his head. 
When i said, a contract year situation, I meant it more as, I dont think he is the type of player who would sign and not give his all the following year 

4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah but hes played through injuries for us every year. 
He is a gamer who wants to be on the field IMO. 
Even with our brutal Oline, he has still had some bigger wholes this year, and I think for once isnt bottom in the league in yards before contact, for a 'slow' RB, its even more important to give him time to get feet moving. 

But yes, Ill agree, im sure its in the back of his head. 
When i said, a contract year situation, I meant it more as, I dont think he is the type of player who would sign and not give his all the following year 

He absolutely carried the offense last year down the stretch when Carr regressed and played like doo doo.

51 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Man I wish we'd re-signed Mayowa back when. Dude provided solid depth at the very least. 

He's a FA right now. Wonder if he's done? 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He absolutely carried the offense last year down the stretch when Carr regressed and played like doo doo.

Raiders Browns - 15 Carries 52 yards, 3.5 yards per carry  3 catches 42 yards, 0 TDS. . . . Carried? 
Raiders Broncos - 27 Carries, 129 yards, 4.8 yards per carry 1 catch -5 yards, 0 TDs. . . .
Raiders Colts - 16 carries, 63 yards, 4 catches 17 yards, 1 TD
Raiders Chargers = 26 carries, 132 yards, 2 catches 12 yards, 1 TD

I believe you are a big, Carr never throws 3 tds guy right? 
So how the hell is 2 tds, in 4 games Carrying the team? 

Ill give you Chargers game, def crushed it. 
Raider broncos he def ran well, Carr was 20/25 passing though, for 200 yards and the only TD, if anything split.

Raider browns, under 4 yards per carry? 50 rushing yards? This is a weak as F carry broski. 
Colts, nothing to special.