A Longtime Bears Fan Observation

Bigbear72

21 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Isn't your first point what makes this so fun though?  We, and only we, voluntarily sit through all these Bears' games, we get these guys and what they can do. After the 9ers game my thought was "well, we'll always have that. Maybe we'll find out if Fields is good next year?" but to watch a dude absolutely transcend his surroudnings is amazing. All it needs is some Hans Zimmer music, and for him to knock Aaron Rodgers off a roof at the end and save his girl. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL5TnWu9RVTyDZ48xiB2i

What QB doesn't have 2-3 dumb plays again?  I swear, we ought to just remove Tom Brady from the answer to any football question, as it really colors the narrative with an impossible expectation. Fields probably processes kind of slow with his reads, and maybe that's a forever thing, but when he gets the right one it's usually a good ball. Fine, I can live with that. You fix that by giving him time in years to develop and time in seconds with better OL every offseason. He holds the ball too long. Fine. THat's usually because he's trying to buy his guys time to do _something_ down field.

Good thing about that is both can be largely coached out of him and in the immediate future can be minimized by scheme. Levels concepts, utilizing hot reads with Kmet and the RB, and if rolling him out then having a guy run a drag toward Fields. You can be aggressive without constantly risking falling on your sword, and it seems Fields and Getsy have learned that over the last several weeks,

Aside from the big plays, that's probably the thing he has improved on the most. His reads look to be slightly sub average vs "did someone pause just him on the replay?" Plus the stat for that has to be skewed based on him running around back there. They should deduct a whole second for every 270 degree rotation his body performs. It's only fair. 

There will be ebbs and flows, thankfully this sub-forum seems to be able to understand that. There should be a How the **** stat, he and Jackson need to have their running/escapability noted by more than just rushing yards.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

You can be aggressive without constantly risking falling on your sword, and it seems Fields and Getsy have learned that over the last several weeks,

That's the nice, and surprising thing about this year.  They aren't afraid to do the thing that works, with what they've got for talent, against an opposing team they think will be susceptible to said thing.  It sounds stupid when you say that out loud, like it's the most obvious thing in the world, but if so I have about 48 games of Bears football to watch that will make it look like discovering perpetual motion. Doing "that thing" has never looked better than against the Patriots. Really feel like they asked and answered the questions "What will Mr Belichik try and take away from us?" and "what can we do that he can't take away without giving up more?"

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

There will be ebbs and flows, thankfully this sub-forum seems to be able to understand that. There should be a How the **** stat, he and Jackson need to have their running/escapability noted by more than just rushing yards.

Dude, "HTFOA" has totally been out there for years, just go on twitter. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Took me YEARS to realize that in business it wasn't just liberating and "feel better now" to cut loose terrible customers, but you make up for whatever you lose by being able to spend more time on customers you can make happy in an efficient and profitiable way. It applies to many things in life *

*do not apply to wife, kids, may work on sports teams but I wouldn't know

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Took me YEARS to realize that in business it wasn't just liberating and "feel better now" to cut loose terrible customers, but you make up for whatever you lose by being able to spend more time on customers you can make happy in an efficient and profitiable way. It applies to many things in life *

One thing I LOVED about carpentry, I could refuse anyone's jobs at any time. If they really wanted me I could put forward a stupid bid and occasionally was paid well enough to bite my tongue.

Seeing snow though and knowing I am in an office though, I'm glad to be out of it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

100% 100%  100%

My sometimes problem is my customers are realtors and they can come with bad clients that become mine. 

If I cut them loose I lose the realtor. So sometimes I deal with people I otherwise wouldn’t for long term gain,

But I try to teach them to be more discerning as it is a problem for them too. 

Problem people bring stress, take up a ton of time and are not grateful.  What’s worse is they come back with new problems later.   

Every decent consultant I have ever heard says drop problem clients first thing. 

I have stopped working with a few realtors who are more difficult than their worth.  

Takes awhile to learn that lesson.  Especially at times when you are desperate for money.

• Like 2

I think this has turned into "Longtime self-employed/contractor observations" and I'm fine with it!  

Sug,  we have a special celebration for "I priced this job insanely, but turns out the customer is insane, so here's a beef tenderloin and a nice bottle of wine" 

The referrals are killer, but I'm happily on the side of being able to come back and say "Listen, just so you know I took on client X because it was a referral from you, but it turns on client x is a rabid hosebeast." and it usually either adds a filter for the referrer or ends up with some kind of balancing favor.  I think if you want a good understanding with people they need to know how things end up working out after they hand them off.  I was super busy this season and passed on a job to someone I kinda like, and it was only weeks later I found out the client torched them, so I made certain to take care of the buddy with a nice project that I didn't need to send along.

• Like 2

I’m not complaining about the pass game since the run game is moving the ball more efficiently than I think I’ve ever seen, but at the same time I do want to get the pass more involved. We have several pass catchers with looming question marks as to what they are and what their future is with us. Fields still makes rookie mistakes throwing the ball. That won’t improve if we are totally dependent on the run game. I think I’d rather be above average at both than stellar at one and mediocre at the other. Edit: especially because Herbert’s injury will significantly hamstring this offense for the next month 

edit edit: my comment didn’t take into account how many passes we’ve drawn up that have just led to rushing yards as Fields scrambles out of lock down coverage and poor blocking. 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think this has turned into "Longtime self-employed/contractor observations" and I'm fine with it!  

Sug,  we have a special celebration for "I priced this job insanely, but turns out the customer is insane, so here's a beef tenderloin and a nice bottle of wine" 

The referrals are killer, but I'm happily on the side of being able to come back and say "Listen, just so you know I took on client X because it was a referral from you, but it turns on client x is a rabid hosebeast." and it usually either adds a filter for the referrer or ends up with some kind of balancing favor.  I think if you want a good understanding with people they need to know how things end up working out after they hand them off.  I was super busy this season and passed on a job to someone I kinda like, and it was only weeks later I found out the client torched them, so I made certain to take care of the buddy with a nice project that I didn't need to send along.

Again agreed 100%.  Same.

13 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's good advice for free born from experience.  

People pay 1000s for this.

LOL it's found on a Bears sub forum.  

• Like 1

Given the talent and where Fields is I don't think we'd get average if we tried to push the ball through the air.  I think we'd get Fields splattered within a a couple games. We really don't have the talent to ask Fields to spend more time waiting for guys to come open behind that OL.  Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the same thing as you, I just don't think it's going to be productive. 

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It's good advice for free born from experience.  

People pay 1000s for this.

LOL it's found on a Bears sub forum.  

Its free for us to pass on because it already cost us thousands. lol

27 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Referrals are rough. In one hand people with money often know a lot of others with money, but then also your mom's old church group wants to hire you to do stuff for the same price you did 15 years ago. "You're charging quite a bit more than you used to..."

"Yes Debra... I live 30 miles away and I'm repairing your garage roof (who she paid MORE for someone else to do poorly). I'm not pushing a lawnmower 2 blocks to mow a small yard and be done in 20 minutes. Material alone costs more than 2 years of gas to mow your crap back in 2004."

Sadly money or not it is a toss up if they are d-bags.

ADM had a Captain that wanted me to work on his place when he was gone for his 28 days. That was sweet. Could schedule everything however I wanted, but if it was raining really hard or cold AF, I knew where to go to stay mostly warm/dry. His issue was he wanted to learn how to do some carpentry in his down month so he would try to build little closets or hidden shelves or try his hand at drywalling, then send me a picture telling me I had work to do whenever I was bored. Realized trying to salvage his butchery was way more hassle then just getting new material and starting fresh. Came out about the same price too due to less time wasted. Great guy but I dreaded his texts so bad sometimes. lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Given the talent and where Fields is I don't think we'd get average if we tried to push the ball through the air.  I think we'd get Fields splattered within a a couple games. We really don't have the talent to ask Fields to spend more time waiting for guys to come open behind that OL.  Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the same thing as you, I just don't think it's going to be productive. 

To me if we are going to pass more there needs to be more quick dump off options. Monty and Herbert (or Ebner for the next few weeks) need to get 3-5 targets a week just because the deeper stuff wasn't open, or they were bringing heavy pressure. Even if they are only averaging 4 yards per catch that is roughly what they're getting in the run and there is a chance one broken tackle leads to a significant gain. Touches need manufactured for Velus too, simple drag routes, bubble screens, outs to the side Fields is rolling, etc. These things can keep the defense from pinning their ears back. Between that and a dominating running game it should open up more across the field. Kmet also needs to be used as a security blanket too. While he isn't a major receiving threat like Kelce, Andrews, or Kittle he is still someone who can move the chains. His lack of targets is annoying because he needs to be the one focusing over the middle first, then Claypool second IMO. Between the numbers is usually the easiest place to make completions. Get the "easy" ones more often and the rest of the passing attack can benefit.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

To me if we are going to pass more there needs to be more quick dump off options. Monty and Herbert (or Ebner for the next few weeks) need to get 3-5 targets a week just because the deeper stuff wasn't open, or they were bringing heavy pressure. Even if they are only averaging 4 yards per catch that is roughly what they're getting in the run and there is a chance one broken tackle leads to a significant gain. Touches need manufactured for Velus too, simple drag routes, bubble screens, outs to the side Fields is rolling, etc. These things can keep the defense from pinning their ears back. Between that and a dominating running game it should open up more across the field. Kmet also needs to be used as a security blanket too. While he isn't a major receiving threat like Kelce, Andrews, or Kittle he is still someone who can move the chains. His lack of targets is annoying because he needs to be the one focusing over the middle first, then Claypool second IMO. Between the numbers is usually the easiest place to make completions. Get the "easy" ones more often and the rest of the passing attack can benefit.

Its free for us to pass on because it already cost us thousands. lol

Always try (rarely succeed) to let others sunk costs save mine. Try. Operative word is try.

As to the rest: we're probably going to have to try that, and sooner rather than later for two reasons.

Herberts down, and was generating goofy as hell numbers for yards per carry and being pretty efficient about it.  Historic rushing attacks with 1/3 of their rushers gone don't usually have the next guy up do the same thing.

Every defense is going try, and some are going to succeed, to stop the big YPC that the Bears and mostly JF1 are making. How? I have NO idea what you do. Belichik had no in game answer, so why would I? Will it be literally have 2 spies? On either side of the linbackers?  That'd be crazy but I don't know what else you do.  When that happens the Bears have to be ready with the answer.

If we've got a forward thinking OC (don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but we just might) he's got a change up in mind for when someone finally commits to stopping Fields, and it wouldn't shock me at all if it looks like what you're proposing in having an RB chip and scoot out for a checkdown, or just get clear to the sideline JF1 is probably booting towards. Some of the time they're out that way anyway on a designed run so hopefully it won't look too different when it happens. 

Dream come true would be it working out; defenses adjust, Bears are ready with a short passing game.  Would be great to develop Fields if they inside-out his reads so the medium and short stuff is first check to keep him upright.  And then if they start covering that up, well, run, Fields, run!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Always try (rarely succeed) to let others sunk costs save mine. Try. Operative word is try.

As to the rest: we're probably going to have to try that, and sooner rather than later for two reasons.

Herberts down, and was generating goofy as hell numbers for yards per carry and being pretty efficient about it.  Historic rushing attacks with 1/3 of their rushers gone don't usually have the next guy up do the same thing.

Every defense is going try, and some are going to succeed, to stop the big YPC that the Bears and mostly JF1 are making. How? I have NO idea what you do. Belichik had no in game answer, so why would I? Will it be literally have 2 spies? On either side of the linbackers?  That'd be crazy but I don't know what else you do.  When that happens the Bears have to be ready with the answer.

If we've got a forward thinking OC (don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but we just might) he's got a change up in mind for when someone finally commits to stopping Fields, and it wouldn't shock me at all if it looks like what you're proposing in having an RB chip and scoot out for a checkdown, or just get clear to the sideline JF1 is probably booting towards. Some of the time they're out that way anyway on a designed run so hopefully it won't look too different when it happens. 

Dream come true would be it working out; defenses adjust, Bears are ready with a short passing game.  Would be great to develop Fields if they inside-out his reads so the medium and short stuff is first check to keep him upright.  And then if they start covering that up, well, run, Fields, run!

They have the options right in front of them, remember that football is checkers not chess.  Defenses are already trying several things and their success has been limited.  That's what's going to make Justin truly special, if teams want to be so bold as 2 take 2 of 7 pass defenders out of the secondary, it's going to be bombs away with a qb who can place the football the way Justin can.   Early on teams were playing single high and once Justin adjusted he moved the ball at will.  You blitz him and he has a nasty habit of escaping and breaking a big play.  You try what Detroit did this last week and muddy up your rush, well now he just gets to pick his spots.  Maybe @dll2000 can add some insight from his perspective but idk how you scheme up your defense.  At this point I would maybe try a 5-2 to clog the rush lanes and you have to tell your DE, no matter what don't crash the RB (good luck getting a defensive player to not follow the ball) and whatever rush yards the RBs get, so be it, we're just selling out the QB run game.  The problem there is now you've put your secondary in a tight spot with their backs turned to the QB and at a  severe disadvantage.  This is why QB run game has over taken the lower levels of football the way it has.  If you have a true runner and passer, it makes for 11 on 11 football, and defenders no longer the numbers advantage. 

For me what I want to see is some of the zone read looks being switched to RPOs.  Give him mesh and digs in the middle of the field.  Use mirror concepts to keep it simple while still giving him the ability to make the big play.  Let him throw on the cape and just go be superman.

• Like 1