2022 GDT Da Steelers 3-6 host Da Bengals 5-4

Steeler Hitman

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

I feel like too much focus for Steelers fans would go to Kenny not throwing to the outside man that beat his man rather than the pass being on the money to Boyd.

Personally, I care about what Kenny’s curve looks like compared to the rookie curve.  To me, Kenny looks better this year than Trevor Lawrence looked last year.  Lawrence waited for guys to be open and had little feel in the pocket.  Ditto for Tua who was poised for “great things”.  For fun, I went back and threw on some Justin Herbert rookie highlights.  Tell me that doesn’t look, in some ways, to what we are seeing from Pickett.  Hell even Joe Burrow rookie tape looks similar to Kenny’s rookie tape.

There are alot of things I wish I was seeing from Pickett, but Im not.  As I've said before,  I am more than willing to give him more time and hope a competent NFL coach can get more out of him.   Kenny was a late bloomer in college, so Im willing to give him 2 or 3 seasons here.  But I definitely understand wanting to see certain things from him, even if just in flashes, that we arent really seeing.    Not to say we havent seen some flashes, but I feel like the limitations of Canada's offense might be holding back his development...or at least I hope so.

I do agree about Lawrence.   Even if you want to argue he showed more as a rookie than Pickett has, he also had ALOT of red flags, and he was considered a blue chip, generational prospect.      Pickett, despite being considered "pro ready" by many, was never really a "day 1 starter" type.    He was always going to need to be coached up, and the right circumstances to help him succeed.    Regardless of peoples feelings on Kenny, this was never the ideal situation for him, or any rookie QB for that matter.

I have zero presumptions about how Kenny will ultimately turn out, and even though Im not super high on him and never was....I am, at the very least, willing to give him 2023 to progress as an NFL caliber QB, hopefully under a far better offensive coach, as opposed to the defefective, dollar store bargain bin offensive coordinator we have now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, August4th said:

social media gets a lot flack(rightfully so, in some case) but the fact that you get stuff like this on twitter and youtube for free is awesome..so much knowledge on football and everything else is scattered throughout those sites

I love watching back full games of offense as a hobby. I get gamepass to re-watch the all22, but Twitter is where I try to search out individual players. It’s a far, far better tool to scrub plays. 

The Steelers Depot crew do a really good job cutting stuff up. I don’t always agree with their individual opinions, but they share a lot of quality shots. So many good follows out there for good game footage cut ups and description. 

43 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The Steelers Depot crew do a really good job cutting stuff up. I don’t always agree with their individual opinions, but they share a lot of quality shots. So many good follows out there for good game footage cut ups and description. 

They are. Baldinger is for his Baldy Breakdowns. My issue with the SD/Korza stuff is they can be too homer “this guy was open” with their takes. Rarely credit other teams with good play. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I do agree about Lawrence.   Even if you want to argue he showed more as a rookie than Pickett has, he also had ALOT of red flags, and he was considered a blue chip, generational prospect.      Pickett, despite being considered "pro ready" by many, was never really a "day 1 starter" type.    He was always going to need to be coached up, and the right circumstances to help him succeed.    Regardless of peoples feelings on Kenny, this was never the ideal situation for him, or any rookie QB for that matter.

I can give my simple what I like more about Kenny than TLaw through 6 games of their rookie year: TLaw kept making the same mistakes game after game. His legs made him look good. Kenny makes a mistake and learns. His get rid of the ball throws are now launched OB. He’s been laying balls out much further out there on deep shots. Stepping into throws much better.

I like seeing that. Like you said the offense is hard to see what’s going on at times. So if Kenny can improve the things that are purely him, not the offense, I like seeing that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I can give my simple what I like more about Kenny than TLaw through 6 games of their rookie year: TLaw kept making the same mistakes game after game. His legs made him look good. Kenny makes a mistake and learns. His get rid of the ball throws are now launched OB. He’s been laying balls out much further out there on deep shots. Stepping into throws much better.

I like seeing that. Like you said the offense is hard to see what’s going on at times. So if Kenny can improve the things that are purely him, not the offense, I like seeing that. 

One thing to note is that early in Bens career, his deep balls were pretty ugly.   He had the occasional nice one, but most times he threw deep, they were often massively underthrown.   Many acted like his arm was weak, but it was mostly because he was timid about throwing receivers open and worried about overthrowing them.    When he got a reliable speed demon in Wallace, he showed off what he could do.

Watching Kenny, it looks like he is playing timidly much of the time.    It looks like he wants to do something, but second guesses himself.  Not ALWAYS a bad thing, but it can be.    He obviously doesn't trust himself, and I the offense does him zero favors.  

I have faith Kenny will improve with time and a better offensive system.   I just question if it will be improvement enough to be the long term answer at QB.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 43M said:

One thing to note is that early in Bens career, his deep balls were pretty ugly.   He had the occasional nice one, but most times he threw deep, they were often massively underthrown.   Many acted like his arm was weak, but it was mostly because he was timid about throwing receivers open and worried about overthrowing them.    When he got a reliable speed demon in Wallace, he showed off what he could do.

Watching Kenny, it looks like he is playing timidly much of the time.    It looks like he wants to do something, but second guesses himself.  Not ALWAYS a bad thing, but it can be.    He obviously doesn't trust himself, and I the offense does him zero favors.  

I have faith Kenny will improve with time and a better offensive system.   I just question if it will be improvement enough to be the long term answer at QB.

I think there’s a lot of pressure to not then the ball over that’s causing some of that. But Kenny’s running game isn’t as good as Bens to make a mistake and know you can play defense, get the ball back, then run until it’s open again. 

• Like 1