Week 11: San Francisco 49ers vs Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

Our performances after the bye week are never not ugly and this past Sunday night was no exception lol. It was an frustrating performance but a win nonetheless so move on to Arizona.....

The Cardinals have consistently been ranked in the top 5 in terms of blitzing percentage for years it seems like and it is no different this season. We know what they like to do and I suspect they will load up the box like the Chargers did and make Jimmy beat them. While Jimmy did a good job of protecting the ball against the Chargers, he got away with a few terrible passes against the Rams and if he does the same this week, then that will give the Cardinals a chance to stay in the game. The only reason the Chargers game was even close at the end was because of the six points our offense/STs gifted them with the fumble/blocked punt. Just like the Chargers game, I think the run game will have some success but it's going to be a bit difficult with how much the Cardinals will load the box. CMC's pass blocking is amazing and against a blitz heavy team in the Cardinals, this is where his impact is especially felt. I loved the way Shanny distributed touches between CMC/Mitchell last game and hope that's what he continues doing going forward. I think CMC will probably have 5-7 catches this game and break one big one. Can we get Kittle/Deebo more touches....please? PLEASE???

Defensively, this team has started out slow the last two weeks before turning it up in the 2nd half. Do we really have to wait that long this week??? Hopefully not, and at this point we don't even know if Murray will be the QB or if it will be McCoy. We have done a better job on Murray in the last few meetings but he still scares me with his legs. Then again, McCoy kind of picked us apart as well and they screened us to death in an embarrassing loss last season. The screen game should not work as well this time around with the speed we have at LB and just how good all our backers are at identifying the screens. What does worry me is the Hopkins vs Lenoir match up. The Cardinals will continue feeding Hopkins the ball time after time until opposing defenses prove they can stop him. That is going to be a big mismatch in favor of the Cardinals. The last two games that Murray has played, he got sacked a total of nine times so we should have some opportunities. Saleh used the blitz very effectively in the last meeting of 2020 so I expect him to do the same on Monday night. The only difference is that we had Verrett matched up with Hopkins and that won't be the case this time around. If Ryans has the corners playing soft coverage, then Hopkins may finish with 12+ catches. 

I think our offense will be better than it was against the Chargers and I expect us to handle business, even in the high altitude of Mexico City.

49ers 31

Cardinals 20

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

I have us dropping 1 game to the Cards, either Monday or Week 18. We should win, but not surprised if we lose.

Hopkins will get his but hopefully we can limit everyone else. Also have to contain Murray if he starts, or pressure McCoy if he starts

JJ Watt will be a handful for our RG I'm sure. 

FYI my predictions are L to the Cards, Seahawks & Dolphins. 10-7 overall 

Arizona's Defense:

• Second most points allowed
  • Second most 1st downs allowed
  • Second most passing completions allowed
  • Most YAC allowed
  • Most RZ TD's given up
  • Most drives that end in the RZ

This is a bad defense, and yet, Football Outsiders says their offense is even worse.

To be blunt, this is a game we cannot lose. The opportunity is there to right the ship in the RZ and allow our efficient passing attack to control the game. 

• Like 5

The middle of the field should be wide open with Baker being hurt. I originally thought this would be a loss, but I just don't see a scenario where the Cards win. The offense is a mess and the defense can't stop anything. Run the ball, set up the play action and abuse them with the check down to CMC. For once this season do not play down to your opponent.

Niners win 34-17

26 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

The middle of the field should be wide open with Baker being hurt. I originally thought this would be a loss, but I just don't see a scenario where the Cards win. The offense is a mess and the defense can't stop anything. Run the ball, set up the play action and abuse them with the check down to CMC. For once this season do not play down to your opponent.

Niners win 34-17

Baker returned last week so he will be playing on Monday night.

One wildcard is the high altitude and if the team will be prepared for that or not. They are practicing in Colorado Springs this week so that should help some. 

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One wildcard is the high altitude and if the team will be prepared for that or not. They are practicing in Colorado Springs this week so that should help some. 

I came here to say this. Mexico city is 7300 ft above sea level. Arizona is flying to Mexico on Saturday. The niners will go to Colorado springs today, practice in altitude all week and get acclimated, do a walk through Sunday, then fly to Mexico after. 

That seems to be a very clear advantage to us. 

Do we know of any players on either team with sickle cell? 

Weird.  I've been to Mexico City a few times and never knew the elevation was that high.  It's like 300 feet above Donner Pass! 😮  I didn't even notice a difference between there and Phoenix, but I was only there to fix some computers, not run a marathon.  So.... lol

As someone who lives in Phoenix, losses to the Cardinals are especially painful.  It's nearly intolerable to go to work the next day.

I'll take a win however we can get it, but I'd love to see a very convincing win against a team that is struggling.  

49ers defensive ranks through 9 games:

YPG - 280.6 (1st)

Passing YPG - 197.9 (8th)

YPA - 6.8 (8th)

Rushing YPG - 82.7 (1st)

YPC - 3.4 (1st)

PPG - 18.1 (4th) 

DVOA - 8th

The PPG is including safeties/STs/offensive TDs so the true number is even lower than that.

Despite all the injuries this defense has dealt with, it is still very much amongst the best in the league. No doubt the Moseley injury has impacted this passing defense some and then obviously we have been dealing with DL injuries all season long. If Moseley/Armstead stayed healthy, I think this defense would be quite clearly the best in the league and have some historical stats in its favor. Nonetheless, it is very good regardless and once Armstead returns, it should get just that much better. The offense will need to step up and become a top 7-8 unit and once it does that, then we have pretty much as good of a chance as any team in the NFC to make it to the SB. 

• Like 1