The Soup Thread

skywindO2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I count chili in the "stew" category, which I humbly would like to include in the soup category. I get it, I get it...more solid than liquid, blah blah blah, but still. The premise is the same.

How dare you degrade chili like that. I am just not a fan of soups or stews. Liquids belong in drinks, not my food.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How dare you degrade chili like that. I am just not a fan of soups or stews. Liquids belong in drinks, not my food.

I grew up poor, so I think a lot of it is general comfort food. Baked potato soup, chili, "ham potatoes and green bean stew", etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I grew up poor, so I think a lot of it is general comfort food. Baked potato soup, chili, "ham potatoes and green bean stew", etc.

I did too but we did cool stuff like bacon dish (bacon, mac & cheese, tomato soup all baked together and thickened up by bacon grease) rather than soups. Bacon dish is still my favorite thing in the world. Had it this weekend for the first time in a few years and ate until I passed out lol.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I did too but we did cool stuff like bacon dish (bacon, mac & cheese, tomato soup all baked together and thickened up by bacon grease) rather than soups. Bacon dish is still my favorite thing in the world. Had it this weekend for the first time in a few years and ate until I passed out lol.

Almost everything that we had came from our garden. The homemade tomato soup was canned from our home grown tomatoes and used as a base for an incredible amount of soups and stews. Poor man's goulash also is on the list of regular meals.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Almost everything that we had came from our garden. The homemade tomato soup was canned from our home grown tomatoes and used as a base for an incredible amount of soups and stews. Poor man's goulash also is on the list of regular meals.

Yeah, single dad with 3 kids working for the military kinda lead to a lot of hot dogs and tony's pizza nights. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, single dad with 3 kids working for the military kinda lead to a lot of hot dogs and tony's pizza nights. 

TONY'S PIZZA!!!!!!!!

Until I was out of college, I was raised to believe that Tuna Casserole was Kraft Mac and Cheese with canned tuna and canned peas served in a stove pot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

TONY'S PIZZA!!!!!!!!

Until I was out of college, I was raised to believe that Tuna Casserole was Kraft Mac and Cheese with canned tuna and canned peas served in a stove pot.

Oh god, I forgot how much Hamburger Helper and grilled cheeses we ate too. No wonder my dad cooks as well as he does now, he spent the first 40 years of his life eating terrible food lmao.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@beekay414 I need to update my list on things that were cooked wrong growing up that now I prefer made "worse" due to nostalgia and acquired taste. It took me a LONG time to appreciate heavy cream/whipping cream/whole milk because we always had watered down, if at all.

I have a few go to meals that I still eat to this day because of how much I ate them as a kid/young adult. One is a peanut butter & hot dog sandwich. Toast the bread, spread peanut butter thick as hell and then slice your cooked hot dogs in half, long ways, and lay flat on the bread. Incredibly filling and pretty damn good.

The other is my bologna, toast and ketchup (the only thing I eat ketchup with) sandwich. Hot toast, cold bologna and cold ketchup. Basically a hot dog but sandwich form.

Edited by beekay414