The Soup Thread

skywindO2

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Satirical pho aside, tripe or seafood is the pho protein of choice for pho imo.

I actually like flank steak and pork blood pudding in spicy broth; I didn’t think I would, but it was hell of a good combo. Get some shrimp wontons and a beef rib thrown in there…

arrested development stew GIF

I’m disappointed with most of the people in this thread so far. 

I made chicken tortilla soup the other day for the first time. I would boast but you can’t boast when you’re just copying someone’s recipe online lol. 

i made a broccoli cheddar soup before that with crispy bacon in it because I felt like I needed to remove it that much further from being vegetarian. 

Soup season ❤️. Winter 💔.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:
11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Fundamentally... choice skirt steak and aged prime ribeye are both beef. Yet there's a reason one is $2.99/lb and another is $150.00/lb, and if you can't understand that, you really can't be helped in this discussion.

The **** kinda Pho are you eating that's got prime ribeye in it?

Like sorry, that's bull****.

This is the hardest I’ve laughed at something in a while 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, not only did he not get the point of the parallel, he was wrong on the existence of said dish. Whaddya expect from someone who likes cheese and rice soup out of a can?

Mensa needs to fast track this candidate.

I mean, let's look at the logical fallacy here. "Leftover Prime Rib".

...is this serious?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, let's look at the logical fallacy here. "Leftover Prime Rib".

...is this serious?

I’ve had leftover prime rib before - it was a HUGE prime rib and my wife/mom/sister/kids don’t eat much to begin with - and I think I ended up making sandwiches for the week, it was glorious.

Side note - Vietnamese sandwiches are incredible. French baguette, chargrilled pork, thinly sliced carrots, cilantro, sliced cucumber, raw jalapeño, spicy mayo - take that and dip it in your pho, *yes lawd, lawd almighty*.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee

I would have finished it off myself, but I was pretty drunk by the time I was done… didn’t want to ruin good single malt AND a good prime rib; Only one could be overindulged.

All things considered, I picked right.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would have finished it off myself, but I was pretty drunk by the time I was done… didn’t want to ruin good single malt AND a good prime rib; Only one could be overindulged.

All things considered, I picked right.

Are you familiar with a "Texas Twinkie"?

Apparently you need leftover brisket (see above on the difficulty there). But, you take that and cream cheese, mix them together, then stuff jalapeño peppers, wrap them in bacon, and then smoke them on your grill/smoker.

6967454-c21ba0b9eace4f428c94c36fcde35a1f

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 1:40 PM, MWil23 said:

I grew up poor, so I think a lot of it is general comfort food. Baked potato soup, chili, "ham potatoes and green bean stew", etc.

Same. My dad and I had tomato soup and grilled cheese almost every night. I felt like a stud for getting to "cook" and had no idea it was because of how cheap it was to make.

We make it at my house now too for a snack, though we usually make it from scratch and freeze a bunch.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

Same. My dad and I had tomato soup and grilled cheese almost every night. I felt like a stud for getting to "cook" and had no idea it was because of how cheap it was to make.

We make it at my house now too for a snack, though we usually make it from scratch and freeze a bunch.

Kind of a funny chuckle now that I'm grown up. On certain special occasions, mom would make "cream of tomato soup", where she would add a can full of milk instead of a can full of water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Are you familiar with a "Texas Twinkie"?

Apparently you need leftover brisket (see above on the difficulty there). But, you take that and cream cheese, mix them together, then stuff jalapeño peppers, wrap them in bacon, and then smoke them on your grill/smoker.

6967454-c21ba0b9eace4f428c94c36fcde35a1f

Oh yeah, they sell ‘em at HEB. I love em, will pick some up as an appetizer before steak night.