Grain of salt report: Tomlin almost moved to TV?!?

warfelg

interesting. Tomlin is still young enough to coach a few more yrs and do TV for a few decades. I think he would be great on TV. would ideal guy to replace jimmy Johnson on FOX or cowher on CBS. Belichick would also be amazing at it too imo. I would love to see him do a weekly podcast

Edited by August4th

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

interesting. Tomlin is still young enough to coach a few more yrs and do TV for a few decades. I think he would be great on TV. would ideal guy to replace jimmy Johnson on FOX or cowher on CBS. Belichick would also be amazing at it too imo. I would love to see him do a weekly podcast

I was thinking a bit and I wonder if this is when Dino went to college, MNF had an opening for an analyst, and the Bell/AB drama was starting. Would make a ton of sense if he seriously explored a media career at that time, especially MNF. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I was thinking a bit and I wonder if this is when Dino went to college, MNF had an opening for an analyst, and the Bell/AB drama was starting. Would make a ton of sense if he seriously explored a media career at that time, especially MNF. 

and that would be before romo got that big deal and this new TV money flowing in, changing the game for these big name guys. I wonder if he'd take a deal back then if the money was what it is now. some of these guys are getting up there in age. Bradshaw, Johnson, Cowher, Dungy. these networks are paying so much, that they will also want to bring in more big names. who cares about seeing terry on TV anymore? this is not the 90s. Their will be some openings coming soon due to retirements and networks just wanting bigger names from this era. Tomlin contract is up after 24? this is a interesting development if true.

and that would be before romo got that big deal and this new TV money flowing in, changing the game for these big name guys. I wonder if he'd take a deal back then if the money was what it is now. some of these guys are getting up there in age. Bradshaw, Johnson, Cowher, Dungy. these networks are paying so much, that they will also want to bring in more big names. who cares about seeing terry on TV anymore? this is not the 90s. Their will be some openings coming soon due to retirements and networks just wanting bigger names from this era. Tomlin contract is up after 24? this is a interesting development if true.

I don’t think he’s looking to leave anytime soon. Also those names you mentioned won’t retire soon. I think Strahan is most likely to leave along with Howie Long. Plus I don’t think Fox would go after Tomlin given the animosity with Bradshaw, who is still a big draw for them. Maybe it was NBC. 

I think knowing the true timeline of when those discussions happened would give more insight. 

• Like 1

Also, and this is mostly rumor I got from a friend that works at a major media outlet:

Tomlin does not like Aditi and rumor is she’s off the Steelers beat and NFLNetwork because of the Rooney’s pushing it.

Basically the rumor is that she was the source of all the reports of Tomlin losing the locker room and him being outdated. And that was because she had a very close (if you catch my drift) relationship with, suspected to be, Antonio Brown. 

As the rumor goes, Tomlin found out, put a kabosh on it by restricting the media, took out player amenities in the locker room, and would pick when and to who players were available to. Timing wise that’s about when all the AB/Bell drama around Ben/Tomlin started to come out. 

From there the end game is murky at best. hear things swirl from Brown wanted Ben and Tomlin out, to it was a planned mutiny to force the Rooney’s to get rid of everyone. But the agreement is, that Brown felt they took a lot away from him by starting to limit his ability to do things like that (remember there were a lot of rumors regarding not having to be on team flights to allowed to pick where he stayed) so he wanted to take away their careers in Pittsburgh too. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've not heard a lot of good things about Aditi. My only sources are you guys, though. 

The long story short is she buddies up with disgruntled players. She did it with the Browns last year and fans there turned on her quickly and CBS Sports shuffled her around. 

As much as a tool Ed Brouchette could be at times, sadly he was the best we had for saying what was going on in the locker room. 

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also, and this is mostly rumor I got from a friend that works at a major media outlet:

Tomlin does not like Aditi and rumor is she’s off the Steelers beat and NFLNetwork because of the Rooney’s pushing it.

Basically the rumor is that she was the source of all the reports of Tomlin losing the locker room and him being outdated. And that was because she had a very close (if you catch my drift) relationship with, suspected to be, Antonio Brown. 

As the rumor goes, Tomlin found out, put a kabosh on it by restricting the media, took out player amenities in the locker room, and would pick when and to who players were available to. Timing wise that’s about when all the AB/Bell drama around Ben/Tomlin started to come out. 

From there the end game is murky at best. hear things swirl from Brown wanted Ben and Tomlin out, to it was a planned mutiny to force the Rooney’s to get rid of everyone. But the agreement is, that Brown felt they took a lot away from him by starting to limit his ability to do things like that (remember there were a lot of rumors regarding not having to be on team flights to allowed to pick where he stayed) so he wanted to take away their careers in Pittsburgh too. 

I wish we got a unrated Hard knocks type show covering those steeler teams. must watch tv

1 minute ago, August4th said:

I wish we got a unrated Hard knocks type show covering those steeler teams. must watch tv

They really did miss their chance with the Steelers a few times when we qualified. Instead they did the Cowboys for a second time and the Raiders a third time. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They really did miss their chance with the Steelers a few times when we qualified. Instead they did the Cowboys for a second time and the Raiders a third time. 

so many storylines and personalities in 2017 alone

Bryant and his issues

Juju being this new young kid on the scene

watt(being the younger brother of JJ) and conner(his cancer recovery)

ben and haley

Bell

Brown

James Harrison getting disgruntled

Ryan shazier freak injury

and then you got personalities like Joey Porter, Vince williams, Tomlin, pouncey etc...

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

so many storylines and personalities in 2017 alone

Bryant and his issues

Juju being this new young kid on the scene

watt(being the younger brother of JJ) and conner(his cancer recovery)

ben and haley

Bell

Brown

James Harrison getting disgruntled

Ryan shazier freak injury

and then you got personalities like Joey Porter, Vince williams, Tomlin, pouncey etc...

Almost wonder is Dan Rooney negotiated something when the deal was signed to keep the Steelers off of it. 

Tomlin would have a job on any of the networks getting big money if he wanted it. I have no doubt about that, and I don't think anyone here does, either.

However, just like what we saw with McVay this off-season, talking to the networks can also be a nice negotiating tactic with your NFL owner if you are a head coach. You can't really sell yourself to other teams while employed, but you can get a nice big offer from a three letter network and demand the owner match it.

I also don't trust Aditi for anything.