Week 11 GDT - Bears vs Dirty Birds

Sugashane

47 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever given up on a player after one year, let alone 10 weeks but Velus seems like a lost cause at WR. Every other rookie drafted in the 5th or higher starts at this point and he’s not even dressing for games. I’m all for seeing what he can do at RB in Herbert’s absence. What better time than a game against CP84? 

He's going to have to develop as a WR. He went from being the best athlete on the field almost constantly to now learning how to be more than a gadget player. That being said I am definitely annoyed he hasn't been able to get on the field for even some manufactured touches. Getsy did a great job of utilizing screens the last few weeks. I'd like him to use that kind of creativity with Jones on those, the end arounds, etc. Even he isn't getting the ball seeing him run a jet motion can still open up the opposite side of the field for someone. 

Too early to throw in the towel on him but Poles and Co should have known what they were getting in him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever given up on a player after one year, let alone 10 weeks but Velus seems like a lost cause at WR. Every other rookie drafted in the 5th or higher starts at this point and he’s not even dressing for games. I’m all for seeing what he can do at RB in Herbert’s absence. What better time than a game against CP84? 

I think you might want to do a little more research on that statement bud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

He's going to have to develop as a WR. He went from being the best athlete on the field almost constantly to now learning how to be more than a gadget player. That being said I am definitely annoyed he hasn't been able to get on the field for even some manufactured touches. Getsy did a great job of utilizing screens the last few weeks. I'd like him to use that kind of creativity with Jones on those, the end arounds, etc. Even he isn't getting the ball seeing him run a jet motion can still open up the opposite side of the field for someone. 

Too early to throw in the towel on him but Poles and Co should have known what they were getting in him. 

If he was 22 I wouldn’t be that concerned but you would think a 25 year old rookie would come into the season ready to play. Not sure if his route running is the issue, the playbook, or a combo of both but the staff doesn’t trust him. Given he might be struggling to learn the O I’m not confident he could be moved to RB midseason, but maybe worth a shot if he can’t play over ESB and Pettis. 

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

I think you might want to do a little more research on that statement bud.

Brisker, Gordon, Jones and Robinson are all starters at the moment. Robinson due to Quinn trade/injuries, but he was still heavy in the rotation prior to that.

My point is Flus and the coaches have no issues throwing the rookies into the fire, but Velus isn’t trusted to have a role on offense. It’s a bit concerning for his future. 

26 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

Brisker, Gordon, Jones and Robinson are all starters at the moment. Robinson due to Quinn trade/injuries, but he was still heavy in the rotation prior to that.

My point is Flus and the coaches have no issues throwing the rookies into the fire, but Velus isn’t trusted to have a role on offense. It’s a bit concerning for his future. 

I didn’t read your comment as being just rookies on the Bears or just rookies in this draft class. But at any rate, everybody doesn’t develop at the same pace. That being said, I’m not a fan thus far.

13 hours ago, Docknstein11 said:

If he was 22 I wouldn’t be that concerned but you would think a 25 year old rookie would come into the season ready to play. Not sure if his route running is the issue, the playbook, or a combo of both but the staff doesn’t trust him. Given he might be struggling to learn the O I’m not confident he could be moved to RB midseason, but maybe worth a shot if he can’t play over ESB and Pettis. 

Agreed. I kind of thought he would be used like Cohen was by Nagy. Gadget WR and scatback on passing downs. We'll see, but for the offseason I'm not planning on him walking into a big role.

• Like 1

On the completion to Hodge, Sanborn had a hell of a blitz. While they're driving it down the field it is food to see some aggression. Too many missed tackles already though and our DL is - per usual - on their heels.  Also we still haven't figured out how to contain QBs. Overplay the outside game and you take away a hell of a lot of Mariota's threat.