Some game day thoughts - Rams

Mid Iowa

Not really a game-day thread, just some thoughts as I'm watching.

We're running the ball right at Aaron Donald. I like that, and it's kinda working.

Our lines look like crap (no surprise).

Dennis Allen can't put together a game plan against the Rams, who currently suck, and should be fired during the 2 minute warning of the 1st half.

I like that we're using Taysom Hill differently (more pass attempts) and more.

Edited by Mid Iowa

Continued thoughts & observations (yes, I'm in that mood)

Do we all feel sorry for Jalen Ramsey? He felt he was interfered with on Johnson's TD catch. He wasn't, and it won't cost him the Super Bowl.
Sorry, not sorry.

Kamara is a stud! But we all knew that.

5 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Continued thoughts & observations (yes, I'm in that mood)

Do we all feel sorry for Jalen Ramsey? He felt he was interfered with on Johnson's TD catch. He wasn't, and it won't cost him the Super Bowl.
Sorry, not sorry.

Kamara is a stud! But we all knew that.

More after game thoughts.

Chris Olave is a stud.

I haven't really watched since week 4 or so. Saints are unwatchable this season in my opinion. I can't stand Dennis Allen. He needs to be a 1 and done. Has Penning made his debut yet? Olave is definitely a stud. I wouldn't mind the Saints sending Mike "I stubbed my toe again" Thomas down the river for whatever they could get from someone.

Edited by SWATcha

Overall thoughts thus far...

1. Loomis should feel some heat this offseason for misreading this rosters potential and gambling with our future assets. However he is safe from a firing.

2. Jeff Ireland MUST be retained at all cost... even if that means the full GM job in title and Mickey stepping aside as simply the EVP. Irelands eye for talent is special.

3. Dennis Allen should be fired along with the entire coaching staff... I think DA is a top notch as well as many of the coaches on this staff but the leadership and accountability is severely lacking on this team and that cannot be allowed to continue. I feel this roster would benefit from a complete culture shock with the hiring of a new HC and staff. Someone who is not tied to any player on this roster.

4. We have NO quarterback... we currently have little options to add one. Dalton is a nice veteran that can be brought back on the cheap as a bridge to a young rookie. Hopefully the rights to Sean Payton can be flipped for some draft capital that Loomis can use to position the Saints to go get a young signal caller in April.

5. Chris Olave is a STUD! Speed of a young Terry Glenn and route running like Marvin Harrison. Dude is a top 10 WR in NFL and only 11 games into his rookie season... Saints got a special one.

6. Olave's rise affords the Saints the ability to absorb the cap hit and move on from Michael Thomas in 2023. Saints can save 16.5 million designating MT as a post June-1 release and carry an 11 million dead cap number in 2023. Olave emerging as WR1 makes that transition easier as the Saints look to clean up their books.

7. Saints will pay Marcus Davenport this offseason. The Saints have a ton invested into Davenport and despite his injury history and his lack of sack production, he still affects the quarterback as well as anyone in the leauge and this defense feels his absence tremendously when he's out. This will be a touchy issue because so many are down on him at the moment but he's going to get paid by someone. Too much good film, young and loads of potential still and a premium position that quality players never hit the market. With Cam Jordan likley entering his last season with the Saints in 2023 and Payton Turner still developing himself, the Saints kinda are backed into a corner with Davenport where they simply can't afford not to have him and he's still young enough to be part of their future from 2024 and beyond.

8. Kaden Ellis is playing his way into the future of this defense. Pete Werner is a STUD and the eventual successor to Demario Davis but he will need a running mate and Ellis is showcasing himself right now as that dude.

9. Cesar Ruiz is no longer a bust. People can drop that narrative now because the dude has simply been one of our better players all season. He finally looks like the switch to guard has finally clicked for him.

10. Juwan Johnson is becoming a playmaker. Johnson still isn't much of a blocker but as a move TE he's becoming special between he and Shaheed the Saints have some exciting young explosive playmakers to build around Olave moving fwd.

11. Ramczyk is a stud we know... if Penning hits we will have a special tackle tandem for the next half decade. 

12. Onyemata is in a slight decline... Saints likley will opt not to resign him meaning the entire interior defensive line will need to be rebuilt this offseason.

13. Mathieu signing was a miss... so was Maye. Saints will look to get out of those deals as soon as they can so I expect safety to be a draft priority in 2023.

14. Like with Davenport... you see the impact Lattimore has on this defense when he's absent. Adebo struggled early on but has since been improving and Alonte Taylor looks like a keeper however I still feel he'd be a more natural impact player at safety as I liken him to a young Malcolm Jenkins.

15. Winston, Peat, Thomas... injuries, age, production and contracts have all caused their time in NOLA to come to a conclusion after this season.

• Like 1