Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  2nd round pick.  If we can get more, awesome.  Guess I don't know what the going rate is for a QB who just won back to back MVP's and then had a down/injured season to where he looks like he has 1 or 2 seasons left.

There's just no way we let Rodgers go to San Fran for a measley 2nd round pick.

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How about meager 2nd?

We got a "conditional 3rd rounder" for Favre.  If you think Love is your guy (and I don't know if he is or is not) anything you get from trading Rodgers is a plus.  Plus, you get rid of that bad contract and you have a year or two to confirm Love is what you thought he was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

As bad as Rodgers has been this year he's still far superior to Russ. 

Last year in Seattle Wilson was pretty decent compared to what he is today in Denver.  You have to wonder what the hell is going on up there...

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's just no way we let Rodgers go to San Fran for a measly 2nd round pick.

It's not the 'measly pick' that matters, it's getting rid of a terrible contract. I'd sell Rodgers for one dorito chip if that's what it took to be able to move forward..........................and it isn't that I hate Rodgers, or even dislike him, its THAT contract and how it hogties the Packers now, and in the next year or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It's not the 'measly pick' that matters, it's getting rid of a terrible contract. I'd sell Rodgers for one dorito chip if that's what it took to be able to move forward..........................and it isn't that I hate Rodgers, or even dislike him, its THAT contract and how it hogties the Packers now, and in the next year or two.

We're not gonna trade him to San Fran. Much less for a 2nd.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's just no way we let Rodgers go to San Fran for a measley 2nd round pick.

If we can get more, then awesome.  Do it.  I'm not sure what Rodgers value is with that contract, his age and his play this past year (injury related).

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's unlikely Rodgers gets traded, it's almost 0 chance he gets traded to the NFC. If we do decide we want to explore switching to Love, we'll call LV, NYJ, Tenn, Indy, maybe even Mia, and take the best offer. 

I hope not. We're shooting ourselves in the kneecap with that kind of thinking. That's antiquated thinking that modern GMs stopped being worried about.

If we trade him, Rodgers will have a list of teams he would report to. My guess is it's two teams long. And we'll trade him to whichever one of THOSE teams offers the most. It won't matter which conference.

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

Packers' management might be open to this but I question whether SF is.

I don't think Packers management has the stomach for it.  It will be like with Favre .. he'll get shipped to an AFC team if the Packers go the trade route .. which I doubt they do.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

39 minutes ago, Sandy said:
1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's unlikely Rodgers gets traded, it's almost 0 chance he gets traded to the NFC. If we do decide we want to explore switching to Love, we'll call LV, NYJ, Tenn, Indy, maybe even Mia, and take the best offer. 

I hope not. We're shooting ourselves in the kneecap with that kind of thinking. That's antiquated thinking that modern GMs stopped being worried about.

If we trade him, Rodgers will have a list of teams he would report to. My guess is it's two teams long. And we'll trade him to whichever one of THOSE teams offers the most. It won't matter which conference

You're both right.

If he's traded, it will be to the place he wants to go and a place we want him to go.

Almost certainly in the AFC, but low-threat NFC team(s) (looking at your, Commanders) are an option as well. But then Rodgers is unlikely to want to go to a "low threat" NFC team. So Ray is correct it is unlikely.

Where would Rodgers want to go?

Where would GB be willing to trade him?

That Venn diagram has a narrow intersection.

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think Packers management has the stomach for it.  It will be like with Favre .. he'll get shipped to an AFC team if the Packers go the trade route .. which I doubt they do.

SF doesn't make sense by themselves because they have very little draft capital. They sold it for Lance and McCaffery. And we don't want Lance. So it probably becomes irrelevant whether anyone has the stomach for it.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1