Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

We're not gonna trade him to San Fran. Much less for a 2nd.

For the record, I think you are right that the Packers will not want to trade Rodgers to the 49ers. I was only commenting that the key thing about any Rodgers trade, is the Packers ridding themselves of a crazy contract.

The level of pick they receive for any trade is (imo) a secondary concern, while getting shot of that contract is the primary one.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For the record, I think you are right that the Packers will not want to trade Rodgers to the 49ers. I was only commenting that the key thing about any Rodgers trade, is the Packers ridding themselves of a crazy contract.

The level of pick they receive for any trade is (imo) a secondary concern, while getting shot of that contract is the primary one.

I see a contract that is designed for GB to eat a lot of cap in return for more trade capital. I'm sure Rodgers wanted it set up so any potential trading team has cap maneuverability after acquiring him to land other vets he wants to join him.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm not sure AR looks that deeply into things, it seems unlikely, but being a very smart guy and (it's almost a meme now) a 'complicated fella', you couldn't quite rule out that that he has thought things through, in this way.

Yeah .. Rodgers play 4D chess.  I bet he knows every angle and every detail in regards to his situation.

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. Rodgers play 4D chess.  I bet he knows every angle and every detail in regards to his situation.

Agreed.  He knows his deal, inside and out.

He did agree to come back after last season, though.  And supposedly this was when he knew 'Vante was not coming back.

And although I'd love for him to retire, I'll bet he feels better about the WR now than he did when he made the decision.

I'll bet Rodgers comes back.  Love gets his 5'th year option (or a 2-3 year deal that pays him like a 5'th year option in 2023) and this conversation comes full circle in about 13 months.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Agreed.  He knows his deal, inside and out.

He did agree to come back after last season, though.  And supposedly this was when he knew 'Vante was not coming back.

And although I'd love for him to retire, I'll bet he feels better about the WR now than he did when he made the decision.

I'll bet Rodgers comes back.  Love gets his 5'th year option (or a 2-3 year deal that pays him like a 5'th year option in 2023) and this conversation comes full circle in about 13 months.

I agree with this. I think 12 has the one more year, and we retain Love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

I agree with this. I think 12 has the one more year, and we retain Love.

How about this....I know it is what you think.  And it's what I think will happen to.

And let's not confuse "I think" with "I wish".  Two totally different things.

But, if Rodgers is back...what are we doing to the roster?

Is Bakh returning?  (My guess would be yes.)

How about Preston?  (My guess is yes, but I could see him as a cap casualty.)

Amos?  (My guess is gone.)

Jenkins?  (Gotta clear space, but I want him back.)

In other words...if Rodgers is back, I feel like we will try to retain much of what we have.  If he is not back, then I feel like it's the wild wild west and we will churn the roster a little harder.  Not sure where, though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How about this....I know it is what you think.  And it's what I think will happen to.

And let's not confuse "I think" with "I wish".  Two totally different things.

But, if Rodgers is back...what are we doing to the roster?

Is Bakh returning?  (My guess would be yes.)

How about Preston?  (My guess is yes, but I could see him as a cap casualty.)

Amos?  (My guess is gone.)

Jenkins?  (Gotta clear space, but I want him back.)

In other words...if Rodgers is back, I feel like we will try to retain much of what we have.  If he is not back, then I feel like it's the wild wild west and we will churn the roster a little harder.  Not sure where, though.

Agree with a lot of this.   I think you draft with Jordan Love in mind (If hes the guy).   

My concern is Jenkins and if he's going to want OT money.  I'm willing to sign him with heavy guard money, but OT money is a little steep for me.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I'm willing to sign him with heavy guard money, but OT money is a little steep for me.

Heavy guard money is basically starter OT money, and he didn't look like a plus starter OT contract earner this season at all.

If they want to pay him they will get to pay him guard money - that's the position he's played well.

He should play next year and then go into the matrix.  Hang out with Neo, Trinity and Morpheus, leaving clues for Jordan Love to follow into the matrix himself. Set up a football camp including "bullet time" training" and destroy it from the inside. Win/metawin/Win.

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree with a lot of this.   I think you draft with Jordan Love in mind (If hes the guy).  That great 

My concern is Jenkins and if he's going to want OT money.  I'm willing to sign him with heavy guard money, but OT money is a little steep for me.

He might want tackle money but he is good guard.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I see a contract that is designed for GB to eat a lot of cap in return for more trade capital. I'm sure Rodgers wanted it set up so any potential trading team has cap maneuverability after acquiring him to land other vets he wants to join him.

good take, i had not thought of this

Edited by HokieHigh

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't get not wanting to trade Rodgers to SF

Just take the best deal, doesn't matter who it is. So many random factors in the NFL it really isn't worth worrying about who he goes to

if we can get him to lambeau in january at least we know he will choke