The DLine and Young's Return

MKnight82

The defensive line has noticeably improved its performance over the past few games. Their play has provided pressure on the QB, allowing for sacks and incompletions as well as stopping the run at a high rate. I think it was noticeable that we were able to contain Hurts for most of the Eagles game, making him stay in the pocket and beat us with his arm rather than scrambling a lot.  That shows how athletic our defensive lineman are IMO. From this improved play has come praise from the coaching staff, who point to the group finally playing "as a unit" after being criticized in the past for playing to just try to get individual stat padding. 

Which brings me to Chase Young.... 

It appears to me that Young's sophomore slump coincided with the coach's criticisms of the dline not playing as a unit. If you go back and watch some of those games you can see Young blowing into the backfield only to over pursue and get pushed completely out of the play once the QB steps up into the pocket (I call this the Brian Orakpo move). This also allowed RBs to gash us outside in his direction as he wasn't holding his gap. Him doing this seemed to make all of the guys just go about doing their own thing. In theory, if you replace Toohill with a guy of Chase Young's ability, the Dline should be even more special.  But not if he comes in and wrecks the good thing we have going for us now. 

This Dline has been feasting, and its one of the biggest reasons our team is winning right now.  It seems infectious with all of the other players getting hyped about it.  I actually hope being sidelined combined with this recent performance by the unit will help him realize that the whole team needs him to play within the scheme. If he does we could have something really special. 

• Like 2

I think pinning it all on Chase is kinda weird personally. The whole DL with the exception of Allen struggled last year. I mean, the entire fanbase wanted to trade Payne and was calling Sweat a bust. The DL getting better coincided with Mills being fired and Zgonina getting more comfortable in his role. I think Chase will be just fine. I think rookie Chase Young is the guy we’ll see. 

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think pinning it all on Chase is kinda weird personally. The whole DL with the exception of Allen struggled last year. I mean, the entire fanbase wanted to trade Payne and was calling Sweat a bust. The DL getting better coincided with Mills being fired and Zgonina getting more comfortable in his role. I think Chase will be just fine. I think rookie Chase Young is the guy we’ll see. 

I think that is a cop out to blame it on an outgoing coach.  The coaching staff themselves called out the dline in the media saying they weren't playing as a unit and were quote "freestyling" too much to try to make plays. All of that stuff kind of started after the offseason of Young and Sweat pounding their chests claiming they were going to break all these sack records.  

That also doesn't make any logical sense.  Why would a position coach be teaching something that is counterproductive to what the HC and DC are preaching?  Makes more logical sense that the players just weren't listening. 

Edited by MKnight82

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The defensive line has noticeably improved its performance over the past few games. Their play has provided pressure on the QB, allowing for sacks and incompletions as well as stopping the run at a high rate. I think it was noticeable that we were able to contain Hurts for most of the Eagles game, making him stay in the pocket and beat us with his arm rather than scrambling a lot.  That shows how athletic our defensive lineman are IMO. From this improved play has come praise from the coaching staff, who point to the group finally playing "as a unit" after being criticized in the past for playing to just try to get individual stat padding. 

Which brings me to Chase Young.... 

It appears to me that Young's sophomore slump coincided with the coach's criticisms of the dline not playing as a unit. If you go back and watch some of those games you can see Young blowing into the backfield only to over pursue and get pushed completely out of the play once the QB steps up into the pocket (I call this the Brian Orakpo move). This also allowed RBs to gash us outside in his direction as he wasn't holding his gap. Him doing this seemed to make all of the guys just go about doing their own thing. In theory, if you replace Toohill with a guy of Chase Young's ability, the Dline should be even more special.  But not if he comes in and wrecks the good thing we have going for us now. 

This Dline has been feasting, and its one of the biggest reasons our team is winning right now.  It seems infectious with all of the other players getting hyped about it.  I actually hope being sidelined combined with this recent performance by the unit will help him realize that the whole team needs him to play within the scheme. If he does we could have something really special. 

This is where as a coach of you want to succeed this was exactly what you wanted too happen to show Chase the importance of your message. Chase is a playmaker. But a playmaker has to be scheme responsible or they give up more plays then they make. I think Chase has been ready. I think these coaches are humbling this guy because you know he’s itching. But the guy has all pro even top 5 in the league talent. But that means nothing if your not playing as apart of the team. Chase on this unit can make this defense truely one of the greats!!! But it’s got to be a team effort and he needs to be his part and stop trying to be the reason. Results come to those who outwork and out study and transcend the scheme. I believe we have a lot too look forward too with this team and I’m just proud of them to fight back when in years past you just knew they’d fold

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think that is a cop out to blame it on an outgoing coach.  The coaching staff themselves called out the dline in the media saying they weren't playing as a unit and were quote "freestyling" too much to try to make plays. All of that stuff kind of started after the offseason of Young and Sweat pounding their chests claiming they were going to break all these sack records.  

That also doesn't make any logical sense.  Why would a position coach be teaching something that is counterproductive to what the HC and DC are preaching?  Makes more logical sense that the players just weren't listening. 

I mean, Mills was fired. It was said multiple times the players had issues with him. The entire defensive line with the exception of Allen underperformed last season and now with Zgonina in charge they’re playing great. Unless you genuinely believe Chase Young was the cause of the DLs struggles even though the struggles continued after his injury? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, Mills was fired. It was said multiple times the players had issues with him. The entire defensive line with the exception of Allen underperformed last season and now with Zgonina in charge they’re playing great. Unless you genuinely believe Chase Young was the cause of the DLs struggles even though the struggles continued after his injury? 

It was reported that Mills was fired because the players didn't get along with him.  I believe Young was chasing personal accolades after his rookie season and the other guys fed off of that and did the same. It has taken awhile for them to get back to working as a unit. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It was reported that Mills was fired because the players didn't get along with him.  I believe Young was chasing personal accolades after his rookie season and the other guys fed off of that and did the same. It has taken awhile for them to get back to working as a unit. 

That's a pretty wild accusation lol. This same defense didn't have Chase Young since November of last year and was getting smoked the first 4-5 weeks of the season. And as I've said multiple times on here if Chase can't succeed with what we've got going on now then he's just not going to be that guy but the idea he's the reason a defense struggled for 9-10 games after he was injured is just crazy to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's a pretty wild accusation lol. This same defense didn't have Chase Young since November of last year and was getting smoked the first 4-5 weeks of the season. And as I've said multiple times on here if Chase can't succeed with what we've got going on now then he's just not going to be that guy but the idea he's the reason a defense struggled for 9-10 games after he was injured is just crazy to me. 

Bad habits can be contagious. 

11 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Your treading on Holy Ground- throwing shade at the Generational Talent . I love it of course and you're exactly right and I completely agree with this post. I'm think that's the real reason JDR and R R are in no hurry to activate him .

I personally have no problem with @MKnight82’s explanation bc he’s giving a reason for why Chase didn’t have the year he should’ve last year & the DL overall. 

I have problem when assumptions are made that can’t be backed up with proof. Such as, they don’t want to active him etc, etc. There’s been nothing to point to that & they just activated him today. He wasn’t ready & they aren’t going to put him out there until he’s ready which is smart.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude, it wasn’t just Chase. It was Chase & Sweat. Sweat was the one who said they’d break the sack record last year as a team. 

It seems they’ve both matured over this last year. Or, from what I can tell they have.

If that’s the case — in addition to Lavar’s question about why it took these professional, highly talented players basically half a season to get their heads out of their tails — then why did Rivera fire the son of his beloved Sam Mills on the eve of the season? After an offseason/camp/preseason where Chase never played and was barely around?

Obviously, we’re all just speculating and guessing here. But I think the timeline lines up better with Mills as the primary problem than it does with Chase.

Although I actually think that if we’re talking specifically about subtractions, it lines up best of all with the benching of WJ3 that triggered the massive leap in quality from the secondary. With better, more cohesive coverage, the DL actually has time to get home. They were always winning, per pass rush win rate and other metrics, but they weren’t finishing because these opposing passers were able to get it out in a hurry. It hasn’t been quite so easy for QBs since the pieces fell into place in the secondary, and I think that’s probably the biggest piece of all in the increased production from the DL.

Bad habits can be contagious. 

It wasn’t just Chase who had the bad habits though or had issues with Mills. Mills wasn’t a good DL coach, it’s obvious.

Sweat, Young & Payne had issues w/ him too. Remember Allen & Payne fighting bc Allen told Payne what he was doing wrong in the sidelines of the Dallas blow out last year?

Chase wasn’t even playing then! Then, you have Matt Ioannidis who never seemed to fit what Mills was teaching the DL to do.