Fixing Our Beleoved Browns Step 1

DaWg_LB.

Hotep Good Brothers....

Step 1 of fixing the Browns……

I am not giving up on the Season, I am however looking to next year to see how we need to fix this team. Garrett is RIGHT, we have a team that is capable of making the playoffs…last year was injuries, This Year there is no EXCUSE…..even WITHOUT WATSON, we are a better team that ATL, NYJ and NE (I might Argue Mia also)…yet 3 losses…

This is Step 1 of 4, I will examine and open for comments and discussion with anyone who has thoughts, this step is examining the Offensive and Special Teams side of the Ball from a coaching perspective. And these are my thoughts….. (my First Mock will come after this 4 parter)

let_us_begin_22eab4412a.gif

HC: Stefanski is a former Coach of the year, I think anyone who’s saying get rid of him, fundamentally disagrees with me, so I wont debate it, I will just respect it. I digress…Stefanski seems to want to be The Voice of the team, Craft his offense and call plays…..everyone else reports to him. Now I do like the CEO vibe he gives off, but when your Defense and ST suck this bad then you have to sprinkle some of that Coach of the year Fairy Dust on it and make it better. For this reason I would like to see Stefanski Empower Van Pelt to be the play caller, which would free Stefanski up to be a better game day manager (Clock management and when to go for it on 4th), pay more attention to Def, pay more attention to ST AND allow him to do the little things, like get the penalties down. Not an Indictments on his offense or play calling, but as a HC, you gotta do more than just call an offense.

OC: Alex Van Pelt: Has gotten solid play out of Brissset…and has coached our QB’s pretty well since he’s been here. Give him more responsibility and let him call plays.  

QB Coach: Drew Petzing, was a good TE coach for us, has helped Njoku and Bryant develop, but is now the QB coach and learning how to apply it to coaching QB’s now. This is the type of young offensive coach we need to keep developing. I feel he will be an OC one day.

TE Coach: TC McCartney: Former LSU QB and Bronco’s QB coach, out TE room has not been very impressive this year….he could be learning on the job. But he is another young coach to keep an eye on possibly.

WR Coach/Passing Game Cord: Chad O’shea, now he did his best work in NE when he was the WR coach/ST Coordinator, the type of coach mix that screams OC or HC…I say we promote him rom passing game Coordinator to ST Coordinator…but he MUST do a better job of Developing WR’s.

RB Coach/ Run Game Coord: Stump Mitchell…one of the top 5 RB coaches in the league…we may loose Stump to an OC position this offseason, if not give that man a Raise!!

OL/Asst HC: “Father” Bill Callahan…..Best in the Business….Nuff Said.

We also have Scott Petters (I do remember him as a player), Ashton Grant and Jonothan Decoster, are all young coaches that I don’t know much about yet. Kevin Rogers is the old staff dog, who I am not sure what he does…but his resume is impeccable.

ST Coordinator: Mike Preifer: HE MUST BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY. I would replace him with Chad O’shea.

Asst. ST: Stephen Bravo-Brown: I have 2 schools of thought on this guy…he coached WR’s in college and has been a QC coach for several years. Now this would seem like a natural Fit with Chad O’shea, he would keep Asst. ST and add Asst. Wr.. But the Special teams has been so bad, I almost want to clean house on the Special Teams coaching staff…now this is controversy, the person I would like to Bring in as Asst. ST Coordinator (or keep O’shea in his current position) or make him ST Coordinator period is Art Briles (ducking as people throw things). Briles would be a redemption situation, much like Hunt, McDowell, Watson….so we’re becoming “Last Chance U” weather we like it or not LOL. I think he would be a GREAT addition to the staff. And would help ST become a hot bed for talent development.

What do the Brothers think about this and what suggestions do YOU have?

I want Priefer gone, and Woods too, but I've given up on the season and wouldn't do it until this offseason when you can get better replacement candidates. Sliding O'Shea into that spot now could just weaken the offense, which is the only thing we have going for us. Not opposed to Stef giving up play calling next year, either and being more of a CEO. Berry better have the offseason of his life strengthening the DT-LB-FS middle of the defense and we'd better get coaches in here who can motivate, be flexible, creative, aggressive, and get the most out of our D and ST guys.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I want Priefer gone, and Woods too, but I've given up on the season and wouldn't do it until this offseason when you can get better replacement candidates. Sliding O'Shea into that spot now could just weaken the offense, which is the only thing we have going for us. Not opposed to Stef giving up play calling next year, either and being more of a CEO. Berry better have the offseason of his life strengthening the DT-LB-FS middle of the defense and we'd better get coaches in here who can motivate, be flexible, creative, aggressive, and get the most out of our D and ST guys.

I’m understanding of them thinking an upgrade isn’t gonna be easy mid season, but even if you feel that way, at some point there has to be accountability with both players and coaches.

Guys on the back end have been ******* lost all season. Maybe they’re epic morons, but either way there’s clearly a disconnect. It’s time to let someone else call the defense, someone who’s willing to mix things up a bit.  

I don’t think you can reasonably fire 2 coordinators in one season, but someone needs to be axed to send a message imo. And like, it’s justified.  Woods has led what has been a historically bad defense.

Replace Woods and Pfeifer immediately with current staff!  Evaluate players who are motivated and are playing for their jobs.  Stefanski must relinquish play calling on game day but he should have strong influence on scripted plays and game schemes.  Cut any player who is cancerous to team concept!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think you can reasonably fire 2 coordinators in one season, but someone needs to be axed to send a message imo. And like, it’s justified.

I doubt it will do any good/result in improvement, but I'm all for sending a message with it and would laugh and open a bottle of Dom Perignon if/when it happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Step 1 

wait till next week when our QB comes back

see what happens 

I get your point and there’s plenty of merit to it for a lot of stuff, but Watson isn’t fixing this run defense.  He’s not creating turnovers, he’s not correcting mixups on the back end, he’s not blocking on kicks/punts, etc.

Those need to be addressed.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Hotep Good Brothers....

Step 1 of fixing the Browns……

I am not giving up on the Season, I am however looking to next year to see how we need to fix this team. Garrett is RIGHT, we have a team that is capable of making the playoffs…last year was injuries, This Year there is no EXCUSE…..even WITHOUT WATSON, we are a better team that ATL, NYJ and NE (I might Argue Mia also)…yet 3 losses…

This is Step 1 of 4, I will examine and open for comments and discussion with anyone who has thoughts, this step is examining the Offensive and Special Teams side of the Ball from a coaching perspective. And these are my thoughts….. (my First Mock will come after this 4 parter)

let_us_begin_22eab4412a.gif

HC: Stefanski is a former Coach of the year, I think anyone who’s saying get rid of him, fundamentally disagrees with me, so I wont debate it, I will just respect it. I digress…Stefanski seems to want to be The Voice of the team, Craft his offense and call plays…..everyone else reports to him. Now I do like the CEO vibe he gives off, but when your Defense and ST suck this bad then you have to sprinkle some of that Coach of the year Fairy Dust on it and make it better. For this reason I would like to see Stefanski Empower Van Pelt to be the play caller, which would free Stefanski up to be a better game day manager (Clock management and when to go for it on 4th), pay more attention to Def, pay more attention to ST AND allow him to do the little things, like get the penalties down. Not an Indictments on his offense or play calling, but as a HC, you gotta do more than just call an offense.

OC: Alex Van Pelt: Has gotten solid play out of Brissset…and has coached our QB’s pretty well since he’s been here. Give him more responsibility and let him call plays.  

QB Coach: Drew Petzing, was a good TE coach for us, has helped Njoku and Bryant develop, but is now the QB coach and learning how to apply it to coaching QB’s now. This is the type of young offensive coach we need to keep developing. I feel he will be an OC one day.

TE Coach: TC McCartney: Former LSU QB and Bronco’s QB coach, out TE room has not been very impressive this year….he could be learning on the job. But he is another young coach to keep an eye on possibly.

WR Coach/Passing Game Cord: Chad O’shea, now he did his best work in NE when he was the WR coach/ST Coordinator, the type of coach mix that screams OC or HC…I say we promote him rom passing game Coordinator to ST Coordinator…but he MUST do a better job of Developing WR’s.

RB Coach/ Run Game Coord: Stump Mitchell…one of the top 5 RB coaches in the league…we may loose Stump to an OC position this offseason, if not give that man a Raise!!

OL/Asst HC: “Father” Bill Callahan…..Best in the Business….Nuff Said.

We also have Scott Petters (I do remember him as a player), Ashton Grant and Jonothan Decoster, are all young coaches that I don’t know much about yet. Kevin Rogers is the old staff dog, who I am not sure what he does…but his resume is impeccable.

ST Coordinator: Mike Preifer: HE MUST BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY. I would replace him with Chad O’shea.

Asst. ST: Stephen Bravo-Brown: I have 2 schools of thought on this guy…he coached WR’s in college and has been a QC coach for several years. Now this would seem like a natural Fit with Chad O’shea, he would keep Asst. ST and add Asst. Wr.. But the Special teams has been so bad, I almost want to clean house on the Special Teams coaching staff…now this is controversy, the person I would like to Bring in as Asst. ST Coordinator (or keep O’shea in his current position) or make him ST Coordinator period is Art Briles (ducking as people throw things). Briles would be a redemption situation, much like Hunt, McDowell, Watson….so we’re becoming “Last Chance U” weather we like it or not LOL. I think he would be a GREAT addition to the staff. And would help ST become a hot bed for talent development.

What do the Brothers think about this and what suggestions do YOU have?

Excellent post 

It is going to be interesting 

One of the problems this draft is top

Heavy with wr

So do you go wr with dpj doing his job?

Have not seen 1 dt that would be available in the 2nd round that can

Stop the run plus get sacks 

Linebacker have not seen anything that can help us out.

Going to be interesting had we gone defensive line last year then we could have had the best wr core.

Coaches given what the draft will give us there is no help that can turn this .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I doubt Watson will be much better than Brissett at first, dude hasnt played in ages. Brissett isnt the problem. 

I think he’s gonna be rusty for the first half. Kinda shell shocked with all the booing and stuff. 

I think from the 2nd half onward he’s gonna he his normal self. 

this is such a unique situation because none of this has been due to injury. He’s been healthy and preparing at 100%. He’s gonna be fine and that’s the frustrating part.