The Andrew Berry Thread

brownie man

How would you grade Andrew Berry thus far?   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Berry to this point

2. 2. Would you have fired Andrew Berry by now?

Thoughts on him so far? 

Bad draft picks. Good late draft picks. 

Clearly does not value DTs for what reason I'm not sure. 

Made a great trade getting Amari Cooper for a 5th rounder. 

Traded 3 first rounders plus for Derrick "Deshaun" Watson. 

What has been his best move? 

What has been his best draft pick? 

What's been his worst move? 

What's been his best move? 

Do you think he is a good GM? 

What does he need to work on the most? 

Should he be fired? 

Edited by brownie man

I said it in another thread, but he’s good-great in free agency and bad in the draft. His only mistake in free agency was JJIII.

Absolutely nailed trading for Cooper and giving up nothing. Obviously if Watson doesn’t screw up off the field again, that’s the ultimate homerun.

Edited by candyman93

Interesting question, lots of unique points.  He took over in 2020 which with Covid and associated shut downs, limited/no attendance in person made for some historically unique drafts in 2020 and 2021.  We’ll see how those go, still early for 2021.  I’m not completely off Jed either, he’s still young af.  The later picks have been fine.  

FA he’s been really good save JJIII and Hooper.  Still not certain JJIII (and Delpit) are in part scheme issues. Not entirely, but some.

All of that is really irrelevant though as ultimately he’s gonna be judged based on the outcome Watson deal.  From a football perspective it was a fantastic trade.  26 year old multiple time pro bowl QBs simply don’t hit the market so it’s hard to complain about the cost when it’s roughly the same as a 32 year old (Stafford).  Provided he comes back as the same guy, it’s a slam dunk trade football wise.  Everything not football wise it’s an unmitigated disaster.

The tldr is we’ll see.  Ask me this time next year and I’ll give a much more definitive answer. 

C- I like what he’s done with contracts and the cooper trade was great but he’s been horrible at drafting. Bad in free agency. I have a hard time crediting him with Watson. That’s such a jimmy move. I give him credit for the contract structuring though. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I said it in another thread, but he’s good-great in free agency and bad in the draft. His only mistake in free agency was JJIII.

Absolutely nailed trading for Cooper and giving up nothing. Obviously if Watson doesn’t screw up off the field again, that’s the ultimate homerun.

What has he done to be good/great in free agency?

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Delpit instead of Winslow was a bad pick. Hooper and JJ3 were horrendous signings. Cooper was a good trade. I’m extremely unimpressed with his drafting. He’s average at best so far. I don’t get the hype.

For me the hype is I feel comfortable in saying he’s competent (maybe not great, but competent) and if given some time we’ll have a “professional GM”.  That may not mean much to many teams, but it’s eluded us for a while.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Conklin, Pocic, Cooper (I’m guessing he got lumped in here), Walker has been solid for what he is, Jacoby as well…

Conklin was great but will probably be cut now. Pocic is all Callahan. He was a jag until Callahan got ahold of him. Brissett yes he was good. I can’t lump cooper in there since it was a trade. 

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Delpit instead of Winslow was a bad pick. Hooper and JJ3 were horrendous signings. Cooper was a good trade. I’m extremely unimpressed with his drafting. He’s average at best so far. I don’t get the hype.

I like JJ3 at the time. Made a lot of sense. Our safeties have always been bad and he was one of the best in the league and a great leader. Unfortunately that seems to have been a rams system thing. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Conklin was great but will probably be cut now. Pocic is all Callahan. He was a jag until Callahan got ahold of him. Brissett yes he was good. I can’t lump cooper in there since it was a trade. 

I mean, it’s not all Callahan.  Berry found a guy who fits his scheme well, that’s his job.  It’s not a one or the other, it’s both.  That’s how it’s supposed to work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I like JJ3 at the time. Made a lot of sense. Our safeties have always been bad and he was one of the best in the league and a great leader. Unfortunately that seems to have been a rams system thing. 

Or an our system thing. I’d really like to see what he can do in another scheme before moving on.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Thoughts on him so far? 

Should he be fired? 

12 wins to 3 wins.

Game set match 

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

What has he done to be good/great in free agency?

I should have said average-good. Posted in another thread: 

Amari Cooper is a stud. I lump trades in with free agency.

Jack Conklin has been rock solid.

Ethan Pocic has been rock solid.

Corey Bojorquez has been a massive upgrade over Gillian.

Jacoby Brissett is a very good backup.

Clowney was good last year, but decided not to show up this year.

Edited by candyman93

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

Thoughts on him so far? 

Should he be fired? 

The buffalo safety you forgot him

No compensation for either wide receiver That averaged 900 yards per year both of them.

How about defensive tackles look at what he started with. 

F