The Andrew Berry Thread

brownie man

How would you grade Andrew Berry thus far?   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Berry to this point

2. 2. Would you have fired Andrew Berry by now?

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Also I’d say the trade for Deion Jones has been a great move 

you can tell that the team has performed better since he’s been brought in.  For what we gave up he’s been a impactful addition to the team.  

Ward will be fine. But we could use a scheme change. But we got more games so we’ll see 

The frustrating part is we did this whole thing at the beginning of last season too.  Woods can’t have a month and a half at the start of every season to figure out how to utilize a defense that returns like 9 starters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The frustrating part is we did this whole thing at the beginning of last season too.  Woods can’t have a month and a half at the start of every season to figure out how to utilize a defense that returns like 9 starters.

I think the Anthony Walker injury hurt more than we thought it would. 

My guess is Phillips isn’t as ready as they thought he would be. JJ3 should’ve been the known second playcaller if something happened to Walk. 

But Jones has been doing great. You gotta give Berry that he can trade. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think both of the ends seem to fit the scheme.  

The DTs are smaller/explosive guys as opposed to fatasses, so those seem to fit.

Fields and JOK both seem to be what he wants at LB as does Phillips…

Newsome played plenty of zone at Northwestern.

I mean, I’m just sayin maybe the scheme sucks.  

I agree the scheme does suck. But you gotta at least give him the players to do it. Phillips sucks too. Never liked that pick. He always looked slow to me and can’t cover. Idk what scheme that’s suppose to fit. JOK was good but he’s just one guy. Berry hasn’t done anything else at LB. And those DTs suck. They might be scheme fits on paper but the players themselves aren’t good. 

20 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I think the Anthony Walker injury hurt more than we thought it would. 

My guess is Phillips isn’t as ready as they thought he would be. JJ3 should’ve been the known second playcaller if something happened to Walk. 

But Jones has been doing great. You gotta give Berry that he can trade. 

Or they should have just let JJIII call the defense from the beginning of the season as he did fine with it last season.  That’s the kind of **** you can’t be dumbfounded by in year 3.

They should have know if Phillips was or wasn’t ready.  He’s been in this system 3 years, he’s not a rookie.

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree the scheme does suck. But you gotta at least give him the players to do it.

To do what?  Woods’ scheme seems to be “everyone up front just kick the guy in front of you’s ***. We’re not gonna do anything, tricky, you just need to win consistently or the play breaks down.  On the back end we’re just gonna drop into zone.”  

That works when you’re OSU or Alabama or whatever and you have a clear talent advantage every week.  We’re not doing anything to fool anyone, not pressuring anyone into bad decisions.  We have 3 picks this season.  One was a great play by the guy who “doesn’t fit” btw.

Phillips sucks too. Never liked that pick. He always looked slow to me and can’t cover. Idk what scheme that’s suppose to fit.

yeah.  He’s not looked good at any point.  

JOK was good but he’s just one guy. Berry hasn’t done anything else at LB.

Fields made a play yesterday, Jones appears to be a decent fill in.  Walker was solid when he played.

This defense isn’t designed to lean heavily on linebackers.  It’s not unreasonable to have middling players at positions that aren’t asked to do a ton.  It’s no different that teams like the Ravens drafting a bunch of mid round fat guys to play DL as the linebackers are what stirs the drink in that scheme.

All they needed to be was middling.  Competent.

And those DTs suck. They might be scheme fits on paper but the players themselves aren’t good. 

All of them?  They’re all historically bad against the run and the worst in the league?  Idk man.  That’s a helluva coincidence that they’re all THAT bad.  Occam’s razor has me thinking they’re not being well supported.

All those dudes were drafted in the top 4 rounds.  This isn’t a slew of UDFA and 7th rounders.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 12:48 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree the scheme does suck. But you gotta at least give him the players to do it. Phillips sucks too. Never liked that pick. He always looked slow to me and can’t cover. Idk what scheme that’s suppose to fit. JOK was good but he’s just one guy. Berry hasn’t done anything else at LB. And those DTs suck. They might be scheme fits on paper but the players themselves aren’t good. 

I have a question with no angle (for anyone to answer), what was the difference between the last game we played or the Bengals game defensively and the duds we had?

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have a question with no angle (for anyone to answer), what was the difference between the last game we played or the Bengals game defensively and the duds we had?

The offense we played and their coaches being more stubborn than Woods.

What they do, spreading you out and taking shots is what this defense defends best.  We’re one of the few teams that actually have the corner talent to match with them, especially without Chase.

They refused to double Myles and apparently (according to Myles himself) snapped the ball on one literally the whole game and we could time the snap.  How that happens I’ll never know…

The teams that have whipped our arse have run heavy personnel and doubled/chipped Myles that forced someone else to get pressure.

26 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is true, I guess my point is I feel during those times I felt the guys were more engaged, locked in and communicating. 

I’m sure part of that was feeling confident in the game plan and then having some success.

But also, I know someone else mentioned it and I can’t remember who, but a lot of these dudes seem like front runners.  Let them get out ahead and feeling good and man they can lay it on you, but they don’t seem like the most resilient bunch.  Sunday was unexpected but great to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure part of that was feeling confident in the game plan and then having some success.

But also, I know someone else mentioned it and I can’t remember who, but a lot of these dudes seem like front runners.  Let them get out ahead and feeling good and man they can lay it on you, but they don’t seem like the most resilient bunch.  Sunday was unexpected but great to see.

Each team is kind of a new team, maybe this team could be starting to finally jell.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, mtmmike said:

Ok first year Draft cede lamb

How does kc play out if he is on the field.

Wirfs and Thomas clearly he is a b at best.

Newsome nearly the entire draft 

Jok starting linebacker that is it.

3rd year are draft should have been

Jordan Davis

Ojabo trade for Jarrett

This year Harrison round 1 

Zay flowers. That would give me

Njoku ,flowers,lamb,plus landry.

Salary cap I would have enough money to trade for and sign roquan 

Plus have 40 million leftover 

If I got to do it all in Retrospect......I could put together an all Madden team also.....hell lets go back and draft Tom Brady in the 5th....

• Like 1