CB Talk

MOSteelers56

It looks like Ringo and Joey Porter Jr. are the top two corners this year. Both offer rare size for their position. They both look like real quality pros. It seems like it would be hard to compare to last year's class of CB. Where do you all think these two go? Will they actually be the first two taken? If not them, then who? Any good sleepers out there? CB is hard for me to study so I need some other opinions.

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Porter is grabby.  He worries me.

It seems like a lot of college corners are, especially the long guys. It all depends on how he takes coaching and adjusts to the speed. CB prospects are such a crapshoot to me. They're all crazy athletes, it just depends on how the adjust to the NFL. Do you think Ringo is the better prospect?

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It looks like Ringo and Joey Porter Jr. are the top two corners this year. Both offer rare size for their position. They both look like real quality pros. It seems like it would be hard to compare to last year's class of CB. Where do you all think these two go? Will they actually be the first two taken? If not them, then who? Any good sleepers out there? CB is hard for me to study so I need some other opinions.

Christian Gonzalez Oregon is better than both 

• Like 2

I have been kind of disappointed with Joey Porter Jr this year, I expected him to be a more dominating player than he has been.  

I would say it goes like this for the up coming draft potentially.  Super impressed with Watts this year and Garner has been sold and both could be switched to safety in the NFL but we will see.  Antonio Johnson would be another with Porter, disappointed with his play also but he is so versatile and could play safety as well so he will get a look.  Gonzalez at the moment is the biggest riser, dude is a stud and super smooth cover man with ability to tackle.  

Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH
Christian Gonzalez Oregon RS SOPH
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Devon Witherspoon Illinois RS JR
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Ryan Watts Texas JR
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU
Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS JR

Super disappointed in Eli Ricks, not sure he even declares with how poorly he has played, sat out games because of injury sure but also got literally benched more than once and taken out of the starting lineup.  

These two guys are sleepers, both very smooth cover me with a lot of ability and kind of flying under the radar.  

DJ Turner Michigan SR CB
Jarrick Bernard-Converse LSU RS

I think Ringo is pretty solidly the best.  But I like Porter.  In the Ohio State game, they seemed to get all their passes to Marvin Harrison Jr. over other corners.  Porter kept his guys clean most of the time.  He also seems to recognize plays really really fast, and is gonna measure super well.  I like him as the second in the class, and not by a huge margin.

Gonzalez is the next best I saw, but I do think he's a tier lower than those two.  Cam Smith is good, not great, more of a second round guy IMO.  His matchup last week with Jalen Hyatt got some good tape for him for sure, but he still got beat several times by Hyatt, and Tillman wiped the floor with him when they were matched up.

I like Tomlinson-Hodges a lot as a "sleeper," but I'm not sure he's really that slept on (Ozzy just pointed him out).  Short corner, but speedy, and he got that dog in him, as they say.

I guess the only guy I like quite a bit that I haven't seen listed already is Mekhi Blackmon out of USC.  A little skinny, but long, changes direction quickly, and just makes plays on the ball.