2022 GDT 3-7 Steelers Visit 4-6-1 Colts on MNF

Steeler Hitman

Not knowing the communication or the blocking for that play, I would put blame on KP for not picking up that their are more blitzers than blockers.  Did the WR pick it up and run some hot routes?  For one replay it looked like at least one was open.

Again, all-in-all, it is a learning experience plus a new RB who is poor at blitz pickup

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Did the WR pick it up and run some hot routes?

From what I have seen through rewatching games this year, I don't think we actually have hots. It's been a problem. 

Agree with you in learning experience. It's just a moment to take down and remember sometimes you are responsible for a guy. Gotta do quick math when the line communicates blocking down towards LBers showing blitz.

Kenny just goes through the motions monitoring the S after the snap. Just says he didn't know the responsibility or didn't sense the urgency. Can't sit there and take a sack from the guy that is your responsibility on a play this like. Kenny just doesn't seem to know it was on him. 

Watch it in film. Register the call. Remember it next time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

From what I have seen through rewatching games this year, I don't think we actually have hots. It's been a problem. 

Agree with you in learning experience. It's just a moment to take down and remember sometimes you are responsible for a guy. Gotta do quick math when the line communicates blocking down towards LBers showing blitz.

Kenny just goes through the motions monitoring the S after the snap. Just says he didn't know the responsibility or didn't sense the urgency. Can't sit there and take a sack from the guy that is your responsibility on a play this like. Kenny just doesn't seem to know it was on him. 

Watch it in film. Register the call. Remember it next time. 

Very much agree on all of this. 

But how much does the play call in that down and distance having your rookie QB to be accountable for a rusher bother you? It bothers me a lot. 

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But how much does the play call in that down and distance having your rookie QB to be accountable for a rusher bother you?

Didn't bother me at all. Firstly, because they don't know it's going to be a pressure look when you call the play. That's a regular play-to-play adjustment. Second, it's 3rd and 12 in field goal range. I'm either catching a chunk (4 verts) for a first/TD or slinging a check down (the angle) for a handful more yards.  With Kenny, my guess is they called this with all intention of him hitting the checkdown immediately and taking 3. 

On replay, looks like he might have had a shot at Freiermuth if they didn't have pressure. If they don't mug up their LBers, who knows what we get here on call alone? But even with the pressure, if we just follow the rules, he has a check down for a handful or can dirt it and still be in FG range. The sack was the one thing that couldn't happen, and it does. 

At the end of the day, rookie or not, this is a basic concept and it all happens pre-snap. It's not asking to do any heavy lifting mentally post-snap with bullets flying. Kenny should know before he takes the snap "I gotta get rid of this now".  I can see a rookie overlooking that responsibility (like I think happens here), but he needs to be able to handle the responsibility. 

The only other person I would look at is McFarland. His route takes him right behind the rusher and Kenny kinda freezes when he comes to it. But it's still on Kenny to get rid of the ball safely and quickly. Hopefully next time he knows to get it out NOW, kill some worms, or gift a kid a ball by putting it 10 rows up. 

This will be a big step for his learning. NFL teams are still trying to figure out how to attack Kenny. Two weeks in a row now that this stumped him. Not sure what the Steelers rules are for hot reads, but I was always taught to throw into the pressure. If he does that in the Bengals game, he had a huge chunk to gain, but he looked the opposite way where more defenders were and took the sack. We are likely to see this weekly now until he gets it sorted. 

• Like 1

@Dcash4all very good and solid points, nothing to disagree with. And Kenny did beat a free rusher the previous week so it’s fair enough to think he can handle it. To my eye, not as in tune to offensive stuff as yours, the play “packaging” shall I call it, struck me as odd. TEs aren’t attached as close as they could be. Conner Heyward was the inside TE (I think that’s Gentry on the outside), so the play design had the weaker blocker inside even if Kenny changed the protection. And McFarland was quite a bit to the outside. If we were out of FG range anyways I’d be fine with what happened. The fact that we were there and this took us out makes me wonder why Canada didn’t do more to help the QB. 

But in the end as long as he learns to be quicker, make McFarland hot, change his route to be a tighter angle or simple flair, and get the ball out then it’s all good. 

BTW, catch Kenny’s quote about the last TD? Sounds like he cut Canada out of the loop. Lol. Told Sullivan he wanted to call run, told Tomlin, then called run in the huddle.