Week 12: San Francisco 49ers vs New Orleans Saints

J-ALL-DAY

I know the Cardinals game is fresh on everyone's mind and that's what most folks will want to talk about today, but it is Tuesday so it is time for the GDT to get started so on to New Orleans....

Are the Saints a good team? Obviously not but that's why we are once again the heavy favorites. They did have a good offensive performance against the Rams and they have some nice weapons on that side of the ball. Kamara is not having a great rushing season but he's doing what he always does in the passing game. The backers, especially Warner will need to make sure he is held in check and they can't miss any tackles as that is the Saints only chance. Olave has had a great rookie season and is coming off beating Ramsey for a deep TD so that is something the defense will need to prepare for. I loved that Ryans switched Ward to the other side but I don't think that will be necessary this week. Also, I didn't like how many times Ward could have manned up on Hopkins but we were instead in zone and allowed some easy catches to Hopkins. What is the point of playing Ward in the left side if that's what you are going to do? Anyways, the DL will have a better chance to get to the QB than the past few weeks. Put the Saints in a deficit and let the boys hunt! Hoping Ebukam and Armstead return this week.

Offensively, I think we go back to a run heavy game, at least to start the game. For some reason, Shanny just doesn't run the ball much with the backs against the Cardinals. Mitchell had like 8 and 9 carries in both games last season and we only started running the ball last night in the 2nd half. The Saints are not great at stopping the run and that's where Shanny will attempt to attack the defense, at least to start the game. I thought against the Chargers we were a little too conservative and Shanny was stubborn with the run and he adjusted against the Cardinals attacked through the air and finished with the run. That's probably what he should be doing more often, especially with the weapons we have. There is no point of having all these goodies if they are not going to be used. The Saints pass rush came alive against the terrible Rams OL but they have been underwhelming for much of the season in that area. Jordan somehow missed a game last week but he damn sure isn't missing two consecutive games so he should be back for this game...Not sure if Lattimore returns though. 

Can we finally start out on a good note and put the opposing team in a deficit? I don't think this game will be easy in the early going but I expect the team to pull away like they did against the Cardinals in the 2nd half.

49ers 31

Saints 13

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know the Cardinals game is fresh on everyone's mind and that's what most folks will want to talk about today, but it is Tuesday so it is time for the GDT to get started so on to New Orleans....

Are the Saints a good team? Obviously not but that's why we are once again the heavy favorites. They did have a good offensive performance against the Rams and they have some nice weapons on that side of the ball. Kamara is not having a great rushing season but he's doing what he always does in the passing game. The backers, especially Warner will need to make sure he is held in check and they can't miss any tackles as that is the Saints only chance. Olave has had a great rookie season and is coming off beating Ramsey for a deep TD so that is something the defense will need to prepare for. I loved that Ryans switched Ward to the other side but I don't think that will be necessary this week. Also, I didn't like how many times Ward could have manned up on Hopkins but we were instead in zone and allowed some easy catches to Hopkins. What is the point of playing Ward in the left side if that's what you are going to do? Anyways, the DL will have a better chance to get to the QB than the past few weeks. Put the Saints in a deficit and let the boys hunt! Hoping Ebukam and Armstead return this week.

Offensively, I think we go back to a run heavy game, at least to start the game. For some reason, Shanny just doesn't run the ball much with the backs against the Cardinals. Mitchell had like 8 and 9 carries in both games last season and we only started running the ball last night in the 2nd half. The Saints are not great at stopping the run and that's where Shanny will attempt to attack the defense, at least to start the game. I thought against the Chargers we were a little too conservative and Shanny was stubborn with the run and he adjusted against the Cardinals attacked through the air and finished with the run. That's probably what he should be doing more often, especially with the weapons we have. There is no point of having all these goodies if they are not going to be used. The Saints pass rush came alive against the terrible Rams OL but they have been underwhelming for much of the season in that area. Jordan somehow missed a game last week but he damn sure isn't missing two consecutive games so he should be back for this game...Not sure if Lattimore returns though. 

Can we finally start out on a good note and put the opposing team in a deficit? I don't think this game will be easy in the early going but I expect the team to pull away like they did against the Cardinals in the 2nd half.

49ers 31

Saints 13

Saints, apparently, have a pretty darn good passing attack and they're pretty good at taking the QB down. On the flip side, they're not good tacklers, their run defense is not great, and they struggle to pressure the QB consistently - their pass rush is very much boom or bust every down. They also get flagged a lot. 

I know they're pretty injured too, which definitely bodes well for us.

• Like 1

DVOA ranks through week 12:

Offense - 11

Defense - 7

Team - 6

Do I think there are six better defenses than ours? I don't, but they weren't good against the Falcons/Chiefs and that has skewed the stats unfortunately. 

The offense needs to climb up to the top 7 by season's end and I think it can do that. Too talented not to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

DVOA ranks through week 12:

Offense - 11

Defense - 7

Team - 6

Do I think there are six better defenses than ours? I don't, but they weren't good against the Falcons/Chiefs and that has skewed the stats unfortunately. 

The offense needs to climb up to the top 7 by season's end and I think it can do that. Too talented not to. 

We've been getting gashed defensively on 3rd and manageable for the psst two weeks. That and our redzone ineffectiveness are our most glaring issues for me personally. No interior push is hurting us the most on those 3rd and manageables. QBa are getting the ball out quicker to mitigate the effectiveness of our Nascar stunts. Desperately missing a guy like AA on those down & distances.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

We've been getting gashed defensively on 3rd and manageable for the psst two weeks. That and our redzone ineffectiveness are our most glaring issues for me personally. No interior push is hurting us the most on those 3rd and manageables. QBa are getting the ball out quicker to mitigate the effectiveness of our Nascar stunts. Desperately missing a guy like AA on those down & distances.

Well yeah, no doubt the 3rd down defense needs to be better. The RZ defense was solid against the Chargers but that's also an area we can improve in. But not having Armstead obviously hurts. No consistent interior rush and teams are often times able to chip Bosa and somewhat nullify the pass rush. Harder to do if Armstead is rushing from the interior. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Saints, apparently, have a pretty darn good passing attack and they're pretty good at taking the QB down. On the flip side, they're not good tacklers, their run defense is not great, and they struggle to pressure the QB consistently - their pass rush is very much boom or bust every down. They also get flagged a lot. 

I know they're pretty injured too, which definitely bodes well for us.

Olave is fantastic. Should win ROY.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Saints will probably get a 1st round pick + when they trade Sean Payton which they can use to get a QB in the offseason

Eh. We will see. The bad teams won't give up a first. It'll take a good team during their coach who is also willing to trade for Payton and pay his contract (which makes a team like the chargers unlikely)

Cam Jordan is having a pretty disappointing year. I know he has 5 sacks, but he just hasn't been that big presence thus far. Maybe it's age, I don't know. Even though he's an AINT, he's one of the players I really like watching play. Hoping he doesn't turn on the juice against the 49ers. 

Anyway, I said last week the 49ers need to win against the Cardinals and the Saints before the showdown with the Dolphins. Team is coming back on a short week, and have been "meh" on trips back home for whatever reason in the Shanahan era. Still, the 49ers should dominate. Still hate the Saints, so a victory against them would be dynamite. Guessing neither Armstead or Kinlaw will even practice this week, which is a shame, but 49ers will have to make do. 

49ers 23

Saints 14