Adjusting the base

Raidersfan1

My fundamental strategy is to use Kenny Pickett in a tank cycle (see Trubisky signing) to accumulate as many picks as possible to turn the tide in your favor as quickly as possible. All the while stimulating growth across the locker room and focusing on certain areas of deficiency from the current roster and aligning that with strengths of the draft to formulate a value proposition (i.e. off-season strategy)

Steelers Current Roster

Cornerback 

• Josh Jackson 

• Arthur Maulet 

• James Pierre 

• Cam Sutton 

• Levi Wallace 

• Ahkello Witherspoon 

• Tre Norwood 

• William Jackson III 

Defensive Line 

• Tyson Alualu 

• Chris Wormley 

• Montravius Adams 

• Cameron Heyward 

• Isaiahh Loudermilk 

• Larry Ogunjobi

• Demarvin Leal 

Linebacker 

• Marcus Allen 

• Devin Highsmith 

• Alex Highsmith 

• Myles Jack

• Jamir Jones 

• Malik Reed 

• Mark Robinson 

• Robert Spillane 

• TJ Watt 

Offensive Line 

• Mason Cole 

• James Daniels 

• Kevin Dotson 

• Kendrick Green 

• Chuks Okorafor 

• Trent Scott 

• Jesse Davis 

• Dan Moore Jr 

Wide Receiver 

• Diontae Johnson 

• Miles Boykin 

• Calvin Austin 

• Gunner Olszewski 

• George Pickens 

• Steven Sims 

Safety 

• Terrell Edmunds

• Minkah Fitzpatrick 

• Damontae Kazee 

• Miles Killebrew 

Phew.

Trades

Note: PIT picks 1st overall

Three Team Trade-

Philly - Alex Highsmith and HOU 2nd Rd pick 

PIT - 3rd overall from Houston, 8th overall from PHI (via NO), 2023 PHI 3rd, 2023 PHI 4th

HOU - Najee Harris and 1st overall (via PIT)

Houston pairs Bama QB/RB and wallows in the wilderness of iniquity. But you sell them on the dream

Philly pulls back, establishes draft position, and upgrades the edge position with a nice PHI or PIT either/or type deal with Highsmith. Ideally, an Eagle, so he finds his nest.

Pittsburgh guts it.

Diontae Johnson to SEA for 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, and 2024 3rd 

Seattle goes DJ/DK and establishes the premiere dynamic duo with the QB of their choosing; with a nice contract on Diontae, some $15m over two years, which gives them tack on term capabilities at favorable rates.

Pittsburgh - guts. Do you have it? 

After dropping from 1st to 3rd, and only charging a 3rd and future 1st. PIT controls the draft and then establishes that as the going rate to drop from 3rd to 7th. You control who gets picked. Quarterbacks. Basically, you slot the top five picks in the draft and then pick who you want to pick. Who will be better than who gets picked!!

PIT trades 3rd overall from Houston to Detroit for 7th overall, Detroit 3rd, and 2024 1st.

The strategy here is to have yourself pick top ten and accumulate two firsts from teams that are perennial losers while selling them snake oil in the process. At very favorable rates.

That's good business!

Draft Template - 14 picks (thirteen would be more likely)

1.07 (via DET)

1.08 (via NO)

2nd

CHI 2nd 

SEA 2nd 

3rd 

HOU 3rd

DET 3rd 

PHI 3rd 

4th 

SEA 4th 

PHI 4th 

7th 

DEN 7th 

Let's start picking.

1.07 - Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M

Ideal Fit: Safety/Slot 

Logical Reasoning: Remember when you had the foresight to draft Ryan Shazier as a chess piece for the defense. This is the same thing. An asset for the defense that offers many wrinkles to many schemes and formations. Simply, he can cover WR, RB, or TE.

What you wanna do for a given play, and who he plays with determines how you use him. Not falling victim to the offenses will and having them expose your weaknesses. You take it to them and you do that by not being exposed, but by exposing them.

Look him up.

1.08 - Kelee Ringo CB Georgia 

Ideal Fit: Field Corner 

Logical Reasoning: He is the most like Champ Bailey. He's scheme versatile because of his size and athleticism and that presents matchup problems. I looked on this scatter plot and he was all by himself while everyone else was lumped together. And I thought - that makes sense!

I avoided any riff raff Tomlin fan boys in the locker room, because I feel I can replicate Joey Porter Jr later in the draft (without the drama). I would love to see him go to Cincinnati, and I welcome that challenge. As a matter of fact, I dream of it.

At the end of the day, this was a five star over a four star type decision. 

2.32 - Siaki Ika NT Baylor

Ideal Fit: Nose Tackle

Logical Reasoning: I would like to play base 3-4 for nearly the entire game and to switch to sub only when they go four wide. Maybe something like 70-30 instead of obsolete. Meaning. To play zone, you need more guys on their feet. You play zone with four down when it doesn't get there every play. That's so stupid. They'll flood your zones high-low and wipe you out as they target your weakest link. And you have so many weak links in the secondary, pick your poison. You can't play zone with four down. You need to only have three down. The addition of Antonio Johnson allows you to stay in 3-4 against 11 personnel in terms of coverage responsibility on first and second down.

The chess piece in Johnson complements the Ika pick. That's how you lay cornerstones.

CHI 2nd - Dawand Jones OT Ohio State 

Ideal Fit: Right Tackle 

Logical Reasoning: I went from watching Bijon Robinson and then thought, oh yeah, Dawand. Initially, I thought is this guy just a 6'8" 360 pound darsh, and then I slowly discovered the other player would run into him and stop.

From that day forward, he was known as VELCRO. 

CROWWWWW (in Baltimore)

SEA 2nd - Will McDonald OLB Iowa State 

Ideal Fit: Outside Linebacker. Alex Highsmith Jr.

Logical Reasoning: His ability to move around in space in conjunction with others... Outside Linebacker

Passed on Arik Gilbert because I felt that you'd be extremely lucky to get him (Ole McDonald) at the top of the 3rd round

3rd - Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson DB TCU 

Ideal Fit: Box Safety/Slot

Logical Reasoning: His ability to close in a zone scheme. The nephew of Ladainian Tomlinson has poor most things. I think there is a work around to his game and you can use his 42" vertical and 4.4 speed in a zone based scheme.

In a Mike Hilton and Damontae Kazee type role, he can be a productive player. He's almost like a safety. His speed and closing burst is better utilized in the box gobbling up short passes and making the sure tackle. Could be an asset as a blitzer.

I think he has more potential than Clark Phillips III and will go lower in the draft.

Aka "bullet" (sorry, Bill)

HOU 3rd - Byron Young LB Tennessee 

Ideal Fit: Mac Linebacker 

Logical Reasoning: Profiles as an edge in college but not strong enough there. What are you doing, Tennessee? Are you that desperate? Put him where he's supposed to go.

Excellent blitzer and good movement in coverage. Makes splash plays off of stunts. Oh stunts, you say.

Excellent pursuit. Runs down ball carriers. Alpha dog mentality.

.... A Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebacker 

Aka "freight train"

DET 3rd - Jordan Morgan OT Arizona 

Ideal Fit: Left Tackle 

Logical Reasoning: Draft tackles and kick your current tackles, that can't play tackle, into guard. 

Genius.

SEA 3rd - Nick Herbig LB Wisconsin

Ideal Fit: 4-3 WILL 

Logical Reasoning: Scheme versatility. 

He is the Sutton Smith of the Big Ten. Kind of a more polished product.

He makes plays. 

Aka "squash" (Herbig)

4th - Tyler Lacy DE Oklahoma State 

Ideal Fit: Defensive End 

Logical Reasoning: this is the prototype defensive end in the Steelers 3-4 

SEA 4th - Lance Boykin CB Coastal 

Ideal Fit: Boundary Corner

Logical Reasoning: this is my replica to Joey Porter Jr (without the last name) 

PHI 4th - Braeden Daniels G Utah 

Ideal Fit: Guard 

Logical Reasoning: Dan Moore, Chuks, and Daniels compete with Dotson and Green for two spots.

Heads are rolling

7th - Ji'Ayir Brown S Penn State 

Ideal Fit: Safety 

Logical Reasoning: I want to remove Terrell Edmunds, Damontae Kazee, and Miles Killebrew from the roster. 

DEN 7th - Phil Jurkovec QB Boston College 

Ideal Fit: University of Pittsburgh

Logical Reasoning: This man was humbled. The question is... Is he humble?

If they can sign Highsmith for decent $ then just keep him. It makes more sense to keep a reliable player that keeps getting better IMO. Like the idea of the OT and CB though, perhaps spin a trade with Johnson and someone else or picks to  get the CB and OT you refer to.  Velcro - is that because he latches onto  his blocks in the run game in space? If so thats a start. Even if Moore keeps improving, this provides good depth and the rook can be a reserve just in case and learn in the time being. 

If our no name OL keeps improving, maybe give them another year and go from there but I agree with the Jone OT pick if he is there.  Right now if Chuks or Moore get hurt it  could be a problem.

If the CB Ringo is like Bailey, then this is a no brainer. Get a lockdown CB if there is one there.  Maybe trade Johnson to the colts for Gilmore if irsay is that foolish 😅

at one time NT would make sense, but the way the game is now I am not sure. If we knew the Titans were clearly the #1 team, then maybe, especially if they had a top tier passing game to go with heir run game. Thats not the case though.  Proven vets can be had in UFA for the NT,  so keep the higher picks for CB and OL etc.  We rarely play base 3-4 anyways, another reason to pass on the NT. 

I could never put together a draft offseason thread like you with all the trades etc, but as it  is I am liking how the offseason could shape  based on our cap and needs and what is already in place . I like most of the starters and the ones that might/could leave should be replaceable anyways. Fire canada and trade Johnson though, if they don't do that we could have a fail next season unless they let KP call some plays and take over (never know?)

Edited by 3rivers