Week 12 GDT: Texans @ Miami (Kyle Allen Era)

lumberjackchris

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’d argue it’s still QB - it’s not like Kyle Allen was ever considered anything special. Texans went from one bad QB to another bad QB, this isn’t really telling outside of “bad QB play can sink a team”. Good QB play gives you a fighting chance, and this team doesn’t have anyone who can play QB at a good level.

We’ve seen good QB play hide flaws - probably moreso than any other position in sports (not even just football). 

bengals went from worst to first with burrow. the problem is finding a joe burrow

7 minutes ago, tab said:

bengals went from worst to first with burrow. the problem is finding a joe burrow

If you wait for another Joe Burrow, you’ll be waiting forever - but if you can find a reasonable QB who can create offense in a few ways, you can start to turn it around.

Joe Burrow came into the Bengals with Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and a leaky OL - they complimented him with two WRs (Tee Higgins and JaMarr Chase) and still have a leaky OL… and he made it work. 

I’m pretty certain Bryce Young can do something similar. 

5 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Do you think the Texans are a good football team with Jalen Hurts starting at QB?

I think Hurts is the difference between 1-2 wins and 4-6 wins, yeah. He immediately improves the offense with his combo of running and passing abilities. There’s no AJ Brown, Dallas Goedert, Devonta Smith or Philly D so the improvement is capped in that sense, you can only do so much with the team around him (but that’s what you use other draft picks and cap space for).

Does that make the Texans a good football team, going 4-13 or 6-11? Not really - but this is exactly the sort of incremental improvement you want to see at this juncture. Good is subjective in that sense, but improved? Absolutely.

I’ll put this out there now before the offseason and 2023 draft/OTA/TCs come out - the goal should be 5-7 wins next season. Anything better is absolutely fantastic, anything worse and Caserio needs to be on a very hot seat as a GM. It’s still not a winning/good season, but it’s better than ‘21 and ‘22 in terms of progression in this rebuild - the team is still learning how to win, but it’s taking a few based on happenstance and growing confidence in the guys here.

On 12/2/2022 at 4:23 AM, ET80 said:

I think Hurts is the difference between 1-2 wins and 4-6 wins, yeah. He immediately improves the offense with his combo of running and passing abilities. There’s no AJ Brown, Dallas Goedert, Devonta Smith or Philly D so the improvement is capped in that sense, you can only do so much with the team around him (but that’s what you use other draft picks and cap space for).

Does that make the Texans a good football team, going 4-13 or 6-11? Not really - but this is exactly the sort of incremental improvement you want to see at this juncture. Good is subjective in that sense, but improved? Absolutely.

I’ll put this out there now before the offseason and 2023 draft/OTA/TCs come out - the goal should be 5-7 wins next season. Anything better is absolutely fantastic, anything worse and Caserio needs to be on a very hot seat as a GM. It’s still not a winning/good season, but it’s better than ‘21 and ‘22 in terms of progression in this rebuild - the team is still learning how to win, but it’s taking a few based on happenstance and growing confidence in the guys here.

I just don't think Hurts would've won THREE more games with our team than our current QBs. MAYBE one, like a magical miracle type thing when Tyrod beat the.. Titans? I think it was the Titans last year in the pouring rain. Maybe the team would be a little bit more watchable, I could see that. Fewer 3 & outs, the occasional scramble for a first down, but ultimately Brandin Cooks would drop it, or Collins would, or Jordan wouldn't be tall enough or  it'd bounce off of QTs gut into the waiting arms of a defender. Oh, and also the coaching staff friggin blows. 

This team is a quarterback graveyard right now. We need...

A brand new coaching staff

2-3 reliable offensive playmakers

A new defensive line

A new LB corps

AND a QB, in my opinion

This is why, honestly, I don't hate the idea of loading up on giant humans this year and running Mills back out there. We're not really paying him, and he seems more than willing to work under these less than ideal conditions. And, in my mind (for the reasons listed above) he's still got untapped potential. To be clear, I'm saying there's like a 15% chance that Davis Mills could be a competitive starting QB given the correct roster, coaching staff, and enough opportunities to fail, but even if he's never going to be any good then we'll accumulate draft picks throughout his rookie contract. We could start calling him "The Process" lol. 

I just think we need to be extremely careful with the moves we make over the course of these next 2-3 seasons or we might be in danger of slipping into the 20-year playoff drought, Lions, Raiders, Browns type of territory, and I'm not 100% certain that taking a QB to play with this team is the right move. 

1 minute ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I just don't think Hurts would've won THREE more games with our team than our current QBs.

Off the top of my head, Hurts beats the Russell Wilson-led Broncos and the Justin Fields-led Bears (this was before Fields was running for 150 a game). I also think he brings enough offense to beat Indy Week 1. All of those were very winnable games - heck, Texans led all three of those games at halftime - Hurts doesn’t really lose leads that often. 

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Fewer 3 & outs, the occasional scramble for a first down, but ultimately Brandin Cooks would drop it, or Collins would, or Jordan wouldn't be tall enough or  it'd bounce off of QTs gut into the waiting arms of a defender. Oh, and also the coaching staff friggin blows. 

Quick walk down memory lane: You remember Will Fuller and Keke Coutee? Hard to remember ‘em, they were both injury prone WRs. Fuller was a deep threat, but he dropped the ball a ton, Coutee was a slot WR who ran wrong routes and tipped passes for defenders to pick off…

…well, at least they were these guys when Deshaun wasn’t playing. With Watson in the lineup, Fuller turned into an incredibly dynamic downfield WR with innate ability to play outside the hash marks; Not only was he beating guys on deep routes, but he was toe dragging on the sideline and getting up in the air to outduel any CB. He looked like a legitimate top 10 WR. Coutee? He went from a bonehead keystone slot guy into a nightmare YAC guy, would destroy guys at the LOS with double moves that would make Allen Iverson jealous, and would catch and run like it was the newest TikTok dance.

Moral of the story (not just rubbing salt in the wound, promise): There are only 4-5 WRs who look good regard of who their QB is (‘Nuk, Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill come to mind) and those guys are incredibly rare to find. Other guys? Their play depends on quality QB play - Michael Thomas lost his mojo once Drew Brees retired, Odell Beckham Jr was booed out of Cleveland because Baker Mayfield couldn’t hit the ocean throwing off a boat, Cooper Kupp went from competent to elite with Goff to Stafford - one minute these guys are making plays, the next minute they’re dropping passes (or reverse in Kupp’s case).

A good/great/elite QB makes WRs look better than they are, and a below average QB brings down even the best WRs. So, assuming that Hurts would be getting the same quality out of Cooks and Collins is ignoring that Cooks and Collins are working against NFL defenses with an XFL QB, so their quality will come down directly due to that. 

I’ll give you the coaching - but as I said in another thread, I don’t know if our WRs are good because our QBs are so bad.

• Like 1