Favorite thanksgiving food

Malfatron

candied yams. 

Next year I want to do Cornish hens instead of turkey. Those buttered up hens with a nice can of beer up their butt as they smoke just nice...that's a bird to be thankful for. These turkeys just don't jive with me unless they are on a club sandwich with bacon or dipped in au jus.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Next year I want to do Cornish hens instead of turkey.

Oh… this is a good idea. I haven’t done a turkey in about four years; The lamb shanks and ham were great this year, but Cornish hens could be a good change up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Oh… this is a good idea. I haven’t done a turkey in about four years; The lamb shanks and ham were great this year, but Cornish hens could be a good change up.

Those are new years and Christmas meats, respectively.

Ridiculous turkey hatred going on here.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Those are new years and Christmas meats, respectively.

Ridiculous turkey hatred going on here.

Ham is an Easter Meat.

I feel like Christmas and New Years are pretty flexible for meat choices.  But yeah...Thanksgiving's gotta be a Turkey.  It's like the focal point of the holiday.  It's nicknamed "Turkey day" for cripes sake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

This was the first year in maybe a decade the turkey wasn’t dry or boring. And my brother in law made a 16 hr smoked brisket that was good. Everything else was just usual thanksgiving fares. 

People think turkey sucks because they're eating dry turkey.  It's difficult to get it juicy if you cook a whole 20 lb animal with distinct kinds of meat on it.  Smoking and frying are the best methods, but both require know how and a lot of equipment, and one might burn your house down.

What I do, and what I would highly recommend to other people, is to cook the white and dark meat separately.  Braise the legs, thighs, and wings until cooked, and then set aside.  The breast should be salted, covered in butter, and baked until close to temp, then both get blasted in a high temp (like 450-500) oven to brown and crisp the skin.

Brush the dark meat with butter too, salt it, and put it in the oven at the same time you're crisping up the skin of the breast, and you'll have perfect turkey.

For extra juiciness insurance, if you have the time and a clean cooler, brine the thing overnight before you do any of this.