Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

I tried to address things a little differently. 

#15 - Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State: A part of the Lions overall strength has been our offensive line. Johnson comes in as Decker's future replacement. I'll let the Lions coaches figure out where to play everybody Johnson is going to be an upgrade somewhere. 

#18 - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon: A big bodied man corner, he's paired up opposite of Okudah to create a dynamic young corner duo. 

#40 = Calijah Kancey, DE, Pittsburgh: The Lions move to a 3-4 and Kancey slides in as a pass rushing end

#45 - Siaki Ika, NT, Baylor: A big bodied dude that's going to be able to play 2 gap and allow McNeill and Kancey to force interior pressure

#61 - Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA: 6'1, 220 lbs dual threat with some shiftiness. Swift has struggled to stay healthy and Jamaal isn't going to be here forever. He'll be JW's eventual replacement but is an upside RB2

#76 - Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama: A big bodied, dynamic athlete. He has the potential to develop into a solid TE for us.

#146 - Jalen Catalon, S, Arkansas: A hard hitting, high motor player. He can fit in for the team to roll with 3 safeties

#167 - Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Edge, Washington: 6'4, 249 lbs with length. He has the #8 pressure rate of 27 of the top edge rushers in this class. 

#177 - KJ Jefferson, QB, Arkansas: He's not going to be here IMO. He's either going back to school or he's going to be picked before round 5. 

Indy 2024 1st

NE 2024 1st

WAS 2024 2nd

IND 2024 3rd

• Like 1

4. Jalen Carter DT Georgia- 6'3" 311lbs 

His combination of high-level athletic ability, incredible power and violence, and a pass-rush toolbox already brimming with moves makes Carter a clear early-first-round prospect. He’s an explosive playmaker and a viable threat in all phases of defense. QBs beware this fall!

11487652.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,of

15. Trenton Simpson LB Clemson- 6'3" 225lbs 

When you watch Simpson’s tape, you have to play a bit of “Where’s Waldo?” before each snap. On any given play, Simpson could be in the box, in the slot, off the edge, or even at deep safety. But what makes Simpson so valuable isn’t his ability to line up all over the field. It’s his ability to dominate all over the field.

2551e7127f64426e8327e15cd23cef09.jpg?w=1

45. Jordan Battle S Alabama 6'1" 205lbs 

Right away, Battle passes the eye test. While some safeties linger under 200 pounds, Battle is comfortably over that mark. He stands around 6’1″, 210 pounds. This size makes him a looming coverage threat and a fairly stout box defender.

Additionally, Battle has the athletic skill set to supplement his size. He’s an explosive player who has terrific burst, both coming downfield and out of hip transitions. He moves with undeniable twitch and energy, and he also has the lateral athleticism to sneak through congestion and navigate to the ball.

Jordan-Battle.jpg?resize=600

61. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah 6'4" 227lbs 

As he heads into just his sixth season of competitive football, it’s important to remember that Kincaid is still relatively inexperienced compared to some of his TE peers in the 2023 NFL Draft class. Understanding that there is still development potential within the Utah TE only adds excitement to a scouting report that is already brimming with possibility and high-level play in several areas of the TE position.

Beginning anywhere other than Kincaid’s ability as a pass catcher would be folly. One of the first things that you notice on tape is how consistently he displays excellent technique when the ball is in his vicinity. The Utah TE extends with decent arm length to catch the ball away from his frame with devastating regularity. With strong hands, Kincaid routinely secures the ball, and there weren’t any examples of drops or fumbles within the games studied.

17440467.jpeg

76. Mekhi Garner CB LSU 6'2" 215lbs

He’s developed into arguably LSU’s best defensive back and one of the SEC’s top corners this fall. The fifth-year junior could be playing his way into a high draft position next spring.

Louisiana transfer CB Mekhi Garner will be one of the biggest (6015v, 218 lbs) and longest (33” arms) corners in 2023 draft. Fits best for press-man teams.

alabama-v-lsu.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

146. Brenton Cox Jr. EDGE Florida 6'4" 253lbs

The first thing to note on Cox’s scouting report is his versatility. He can play the defensive end position in a 4-3 formation or 3-4 OLB. He has played with his hand in the ground and standing up during his short college football career. At 6’4″ and 250 pounds, he is a little in-between the ideal size for both positions. However, Cox has demonstrated the ability to drop back into coverage that will be required at the next level. As a result, he best projects to play OLB in the NFL.

The Florida prospect possesses an impressive first step and exhibits decent explosion at the line of scrimmage. He won’t win many foot races, but the first step and burst allow him to get a jump at the line of scrimmage. Additionally, Cox shows examples of good footwork and lateral agility. This is on display with his spin moves, one of the tools he has in his pass-rush arsenal.

b05c9dbb734c13cd59925f3c0049f881

167. Sataoa Laumea OG Utah 6'4" 312lbs

Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire. Shows excellent awareness when presented with stunts and blitzes, and Laumea works well with teammates on combo blocks

Has a stout build with a strong, flexible core. He’s a rock in the middle of the line as a pass protector, with the heavy hands and strong grip to hold his own against bigger defensive tackles.

Sataoa-Laumea-vs.-Ohio-State.jpg

177. Deuce Vaughn RB Kansas State 5'6" 176lbs

The junior running back produced over 1,600 yards from scrimmage for a second straight season, and he totaled 32 touchdowns combined in the last two seasons. With Kansas State up four in the third quarter, Vaughn produced a highlight touchdown, breaking a TCU defender’s ankles in the open field to give the Wildcats an 11-point lead.

The 5-foot-6 runner idolizes former Kansas State running back Darren Sproles.

Deuce-Vaughn.jpg

17 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm hearing from the draft gurus that Porter is more of a zone guy as opposed to a Cam Smith or Christian Gonalez. Given that we seem to be moving away from playing much zone to benefit Okudah, it doesn't make sense to add a guy like Porter who is going to be hurt schematically. 

Every scouting report seems to say he is best suited in a press man system but also should work in a zone system. Given his size and tackling ability some have suggested he could play S as well but I am all for running him as a press man outside CB who can play the run well. 

45 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Every scouting report seems to say he is best suited in a press man system but also should work in a zone system. Given his size and tackling ability some have suggested he could play S as well but I am all for running him as a press man outside CB who can play the run well. 

It's interesting that different analysts see different things in the same guys. I'm all for Porter if he's good in press man. 

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

4. Jalen Carter DT Georgia- 6'3" 311lbs 

11487652.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,of

15. Trenton Simpson LB Clemson- 6'3" 225lbs 

2551e7127f64426e8327e15cd23cef09.jpg?w=1

45. Jordan Battle S Alabama 6'1" 205lbs 

Jordan-Battle.jpg?resize=600

61. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah 6'4" 227lbs 

17440467.jpeg

76. Mekhi Garner CB LSU 6'2" 215lbs

alabama-v-lsu.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

146. Brenton Cox Jr. EDGE Florida 6'4" 253lbs

b05c9dbb734c13cd59925f3c0049f881

167. Sataoa Laumea OG Utah 6'4" 312lbs

Sataoa-Laumea-vs.-Ohio-State.jpg

177. Deuce Vaughn RB Kansas State 5'6" 176lbs

Deuce-Vaughn.jpg

I have a tough time with TE's that are undersized. Most of the better TE's are in the 240 - 260 range. At 227, you're just a bigger, slower WR.

Cox was released from the Gators just over a month ago. The talent may be there but I'm not sure he'd be a character fit for this team. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-12-coverage-update-giants-predictable-jets-best-performance

This seems like an interesting resource. I'm having a tough time finding PFF grades for man vs zone or anything similar. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-12-coverage-update-giants-predictable-jets-best-performance

This seems like an interesting resource. I'm having a tough time finding PFF grades for man vs zone or anything similar. 

I am shocked at how low the Man coverage use is.  I get that it takes a lot of talent to do so but thought it would be higher than that.  

Also it sounds like Porter would be a solid fit given how much we do run both. 

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am shocked at how low the Man coverage use is.  I get that it takes a lot of talent to do so but thought it would be higher than that.  

Also it sounds like Porter would be a solid fit given how much we do run both. 

BOLD = Win

OFF = % of man coverage our offense has faced

DEF = % of man coverage our defense ran

• Week 1 PHI - OFF -29.3% ; DEF - 59.1%
  • Week 2 WAS - OFF - 24.3% ; DEF - 36.4%
  • Week 3 MIN - OFF -18.2% ; DEF - 71.7%
  • Week 4 SEA - OFF -43.8%; DEF - 45.7%
  • Week 5 NE - OFF - 65.9% DEF - 65.4%
  • Week 6 BYE 
  • Week 7 DAL - OFF -30.3% ; DEF - 22.6%
  • Week 8 MIA - OFF -33.3% ; DEF - 19.0%
  • Week 9 GB - OFF - 17.2%; DEF - 42.3% <<< Aubrey Pleasant fired
  • Week 10 CHI - OFF - 42.4%; DEF -  33.3%
  • Week 11 NYG - OFF -61.3% ; DEF - 46.2%
  • Week 12 BUF - OFF - 43.9%; DEF - 41.8%

OFF OVERALL = 37.4% (3rd highest in NFL)

DEF OVERALL = 44.1% (3rd highest in NFL)

Edited by Karnage84

Alright here is my ridiculousness.  Full disclosure, I don't know this years players coming out of college that well, so feel free to say what you like/dislike about the player so I can get up to speed quicker.  I used PFN so the stupidity of their picks is at full play here. I only went 5 round as well.

Traded pick 4 to Atlanta for Pick 10, Pick 40, Pick 71, 2024 ATL 1st, 2024 Jax 4th - Atl Selects C.J. Stroud
Traded pick 15 to NYG for Pick 23, 2024 1st, 2024 6th - NYG Select Trenton Simpson.

Top 10 went like this:

1 Will Anderson Alabama - Texans
2 Myles Murphy Clemson - Seattle
3 Quentin Johnston TCU - Chicago
4 C.J. Stroud Ohio State - Atlanta
5 Noah Sewell Oregon - Philadelphia
6 Kelee Ringo Georgia - Arizona
7 Anthony Richardson Florida - Colts
8 Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State - Raiders
9 Bryce Young Alabama - Carolina
10 Jalen Carter Georgia - Detroit

I selected the following:

*#10 Jalen Carter DT Georgia

I didn't plan on Carter falling to 10, but he was there and he is probably my favorite for our top spot this year.

*#23 Bijan Robinson RB Texas

I was hoping Porter would fall to 23, he didn't and Robinson was there. Although I would rather add quality to our defense, it was too much talent to pass up on in the 20s. So Robinson it is. Good luck defending the run in detroit.

*#40 Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

Since I passed on the top 2 qb for draft picks for next year, I wanted to land a developmental qb. Hooker was sitting there, and like a good Lion I pounced on him.

#46 Siaki Ilka DT Baylor

This is probably an overkill at DT, but I like my IDL anchors. Now we have a good one and have a good rotation of DTs.

#60 Nolan Smith Edge Georgia

I want our Pass rush to be better.

*#71 Owen Pappoe LB Auburn

This team needs LB play in the worst way. I went with an athletic one.

#78 Kyu Blu Kelly CB Stanford

He has the size and intangibles for my Corner. I'd have much rather took one earlier, but that didn't happen. So I was between Kelly and Garner here and I went with Kelly.

#146 Tyler Steen OT Alabama

I wanted an OT or OG and picked Steen here hoping he can turn into a quality backup and possible RT of the future.

2024 Picks we receive:
NYG 1st
Atl 1st
Jax 4th
NYG 6th

*received from trades

We would have a lot of ammo to move up for the top qb next year with 3 first round picks. Or if we keep riding Goff and Hooker is projecting well we could use those to add to the team and trade down again next year for 2025 always keeping ammo in the war chest. We would have options again in the draft. I missed out on WR and a top end db. I feel like we should be good at Safety with Kerby and Walker coming back. I like our DL rotation and feel our D would be good from this point forward.

Edited by LionArkie

35 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Alright here is my ridiculousness.  Full disclosure, I don't know this years players coming out of college that well, so feel free to say what you like/dislike about the player so I can get up to speed quicker.  I used PFN so the stupidity of their picks is at full play here. I only went 5 round as well.

Traded pick 4 to Atlanta for Pick 10, Pick 40, Pick 71, 2024 ATL 1st, 2024 Jax 4th - Atl Selects C.J. Stroud
Traded pick 15 to NYG for Pick 23, 2024 1st, 2024 6th - NYG Select Trenton

Top 10 went like this:

1 Will Anderson Alabama - Texans
2 Myles Murphy Clemson - Seattle
3 Quentin Johnston TCU - Chicago
4 C.J. Stroud Ohio State - Atlanta
5 Noah Sewell Oregon - Philadelphia
6 Kelee Ringo Georgia - Arizona
7 Anthony Richardson Florida - Colts
8 Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State - Raiders
9 Bryce Young Alabama - Carolina
10 Jalen Carter Georgia - Detroit

I selected the following:

*#10 Jalen Carter DT Georgia

I didn't plan on Carter falling to 10, but he was there and he is probably my favorite for our top spot this year.

*#23 Bijan Robinson RB Texas

I was hoping Porter would fall to 23, he didn't and Robinson was there. Although I would rather add quality to our defense, it was too much talent to pass up on in the 20s. So Robinson it is. Good luck defending the run in detroit.

*#40 Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

Since I passed on the top 2 qb for draft picks for next year, I wanted to land a developmental qb. Hooker was sitting there, and like a good Lion I pounced on him.

#46 Siaki Ilka DT Baylor

This is probably an overkill at DT, but I like my IDL anchors. Now we have a good one and have a good rotation of DTs.

#60 Nolan Smith Edge Georgia

I want our Pass rush to be better.

*#71 Owen Pappoe LB Auburn

This team needs LB play in the worst way. I went with an athletic one.

#78 Kyu Blu Kelly CB Stanford

He has the size and intangibles for my Corner. I'd have much rather took one earlier, but that didn't happen. So I was between Kelly and Garner here and I went with Kelly.

#146 Tyler Steen OT Alabama

I wanted an OT or OG and picked Steen here hoping he can turn into a quality backup and possible RT of the future.

2024 Picks we receive:
NYG 1st
Atl 1st
Jax 4th
NYG 6th

*received from trades

We would have a lot of ammo to move up for the top qb next year with 3 first round picks. Or if we keep riding Goff and Hooker is projecting well we could use those to add to the team and trade down again next year for 2025 always keeping ammo in the war chest. We would have options again in the draft. I missed out on WR and a top end db. I feel like we should be good at Safety with Kerby and Walker coming back. I like our DL rotation and feel our D would be good from this point forward.

I can't say that I hate it at all. 

1) Carter - He's my #1 guy by far. As much as I would be ok with Anderson on the edge, getting an elite interior pass rusher is going to be a huge difference maker on this defense

2) Robinson - If he's falling into the mid-20's, I can totally see taking the value. Jamaal deserves a second contract but it's going to be 1-2 years max. Swift is unlikely to be re-signed at this rate. Having a stud RB in that backfield could make a lot of sense. I'd also be looking to add to the secondary here.

3) Hooker - This is where you lose me. He's an older prospect coming off of an injury. With the way that Goff is playing, you're looking at a window of 2-3 years before we should really be looking at bringing in his potential replacement to play/start. Hooker is going to be 27 years old then in essentially his rookie year. I'd rather take a guy in 2024 or someone later in this draft as a potential backup. These guys are more the exception than the rule BUT Heinicke was a UDFA coming out of the XFL, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant; Kirk Cousins was a 3rd round pick, Mike White was a 5th rounder. You can find guys that can start in the later rounds. They may not be the long term answer but I don't think we need to reach this early at this point. 

4) Ilka - I don't think you're overdoing it on the DL. Buggs has been fine but this should solidify us at NT/1T. You can play 3-4 fronts, 4-3 fronts, etc. 

5) Smith - I think I missed this on the first read through. While he's on the lighter side, he'd be an effective 3rd down pass rusher who is also decent against the run. He can fit in and replace one of the Okwara's

6) Pappoe - Apparently the Lions really like Ventrell Miller. With the way that Anzalone has been playing, we're probably going to be looking at adding a guy later in the draft. I don't know enough about this player but I think you're in the right area position wise

7) Kelly - I'd like to see us address CB much earlier but I'd also be open to double dipping

8 ) Steen - I don't know how but I'd like to see us invest in the OL a bit earlier

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I can't say that I hate it at all. 

1) Carter - He's my #1 guy by far. As much as I would be ok with Anderson on the edge, getting an elite interior pass rusher is going to be a huge difference maker on this defense

2) Robinson - If he's falling into the mid-20's, I can totally see taking the value. Jamaal deserves a second contract but it's going to be 1-2 years max. Swift is unlikely to be re-signed at this rate. Having a stud RB in that backfield could make a lot of sense. I'd also be looking to add to the secondary here.

3) Hooker - This is where you lose me. He's an older prospect coming off of an injury. With the way that Goff is playing, you're looking at a window of 2-3 years before we should really be looking at bringing in his potential replacement to play/start. Hooker is going to be 27 years old then in essentially his rookie year. I'd rather take a guy in 2024 or someone later in this draft as a potential backup. These guys are more the exception than the rule BUT Heinicke was a UDFA coming out of the XFL, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant; Kirk Cousins was a 3rd round pick, Mike White was a 5th rounder. You can find guys that can start in the later rounds. They may not be the long term answer but I don't think we need to reach this early at this point. 

4) Ilka - I don't think you're overdoing it on the DL. Buggs has been fine but this should solidify us at NT/1T. You can play 3-4 fronts, 4-3 fronts, etc. 

5) Smith - I think I missed this on the first read through. While he's on the lighter side, he'd be an effective 3rd down pass rusher who is also decent against the run. He can fit in and replace one of the Okwara's

6) Pappoe - Apparently the Lions really like Ventrell Miller. With the way that Anzalone has been playing, we're probably going to be looking at adding a guy later in the draft. I don't know enough about this player but I think you're in the right area position wise

7) Kelly - I'd like to see us address CB much earlier but I'd also be open to double dipping

8 ) Steen - I don't know how but I'd like to see us invest in the OL a bit earlier

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you on CB and OL. I really wanted something earlier, but the way the board fell and me taking Robinson when I did kind of removed consideration of those positions with our picks.

The play with Hooker was I'm playing for the top qb prospect in 2024 via trade as we would have the ammo to do it. However, we are picking up a quality prospect now in Hooker who has the tools to become something more. We would have a full year to evaluate him, and see if he has it to move up or if we spent too high on a back up qb. In this scenario and to me, his age doesn't matter. Because if he is just a backup he will be a high end backup who could be used as a trading chip later as other teams are going to trade for the skill set (say around 2025). If he seems to be more than this, we have a starter who will have a few years of NFL experience although not necessarily on the field. During our playoff runs we will have a quality backup for Goff (2023 -2024). In 2023 and 2024 nothing will derail us faster than having Goff go down. Someone posted an article on how mobile qb help out during their early stages of development. Hooker could really help the overall team in a myriad of ways. So, I feel like he offers us more options in the future in terms of having a tradable asset or a quality starter. I feel like someone like Hooker can get you a better return if he's not the guy for your team in a trade than the guys you mentioned in your post. The fact he is one of 3 second round picks made me take the gamble.

19 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you on CB and OL. I really wanted something earlier, but the way the board fell and me taking Robinson when I did kind of removed consideration of those positions with our picks.

The play with Hooker was I'm playing for the top qb prospect in 2024 via trade as we would have the ammo to do it. However, we are picking up a quality prospect now in Hooker who has the tools to become something more. We would have a full year to evaluate him, and see if he has it to move up or if we spent too high on a back up qb. In this scenario and to me, his age doesn't matter. Because if he is just a backup he will be a high end backup who could be used as a trading chip later as other teams are going to trade for the skill set (say around 2025). If he seems to be more than this, we have a starter who will have a few years of NFL experience although not necessarily on the field. During our playoff runs we will have a quality backup for Goff (2023 -2024). In 2023 and 2024 nothing will derail us faster than having Goff go down. Someone posted an article on how mobile qb help out during their early stages of development. Hooker could really help the overall team in a myriad of ways. So, I feel like he offers us more options in the future in terms of having a tradable asset or a quality starter. I feel like someone like Hooker can get you a better return if he's not the guy for your team in a trade than the guys you mentioned in your post. The fact he is one of 3 second round picks made me take the gamble.

If taking Hooker there with an eye towards 2025 is the gameplan, it almost makes less sense to me (IF you think he can be our QBOTF). 

• 2023 - Goff is starter/under contract (Hooker is 25) - Year 1 of 4
  • 2024 - Goff is starter/under contract (Hooker is 26) - Year 2 of 4
  • 2025 - Hooker becomes starter - Year 3 of 4 (Hooker is 27)
  • 2026 - Hooker is starter - Year 4 of 4 (Hooker is 28)
  • 2027 - Hooker is starter - Franchise Tag/New Deal (Hooker is 29)

So you have 2 years of Goff at $30M+ for the first 2 years that you have Hooker under contract and then you can only take advantage of the rookie wage scale for another 2 years until you either have to sign him to a new deal or franchise tag him. The model of success that teams have had with rookie QB's is utilizing their high level of play for around $10M/year and investing the difference into the rest of the team. All the while, you have them under contract for 4 years plus a 5th year option. 

Lastly, you're typically looking at a guy who is 25 years old and in his physical prime when you're looking to make that decision. Hooker is going to be nearly 30 at that point. 

Edited by Karnage84

46 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If taking Hooker there with an eye towards 2025 is the gameplan, it almost makes less sense to me (IF you think he can be our QBOTF). 

• 2023 - Goff is starter/under contract (Hooker is 25) - Year 1 of 4
  • 2024 - Goff is starter/under contract (Hooker is 26) - Year 2 of 4
  • 2025 - Hooker becomes starter - Year 3 of 4 (Hooker is 27)
  • 2026 - Hooker is starter - Year 4 of 4 (Hooker is 28)
  • 2027 - Hooker is starter - Franchise Tag/New Deal (Hooker is 29)

So you have 2 years of Goff at $30M+ for the first 2 years that you have Hooker under contract and then you can only take advantage of the rookie wage scale for another 2 years until you either have to sign him to a new deal or franchise tag him. The model of success that teams have had with rookie QB's is utilizing their high level of play for around $10M/year and investing the difference into the rest of the team. All the while, you have them under contract for 4 years plus a 5th year option. 

Lastly, you're typically looking at a guy who is 25 years old and in his physical prime when you're looking to make that decision. Hooker is going to be nearly 30 at that point. 

That would be more option B or even C. My point was you could be incredibly creative with what you could choose to do. Below is only ONE of the options.

Primary option would be to have a quality high level back up to ensure we don't fall on our faces during a playoff run for 2023. Also, show case him 2023.

2024 go after the #1 qb target with the haul from the rest of the draft I had. You now have Goff, Hooker and QBOTF. If you can't get QBOTF, you still have Hooker and Goff. For the sake of argument, we land QBOTF.

2024 Trade Goff or Trade Hooker. Both will land you a quality pick probably 1st round or more due to qb premium (at least that's my thinking).  If you trade Goff, you get a first round pick and you can decide to start either QBOTF or Hooker depending on your comfort level. As you pointed out, Hooker is only 26.

2025, You can have QBOTF start and trade Hooker for another first if he's capable of being a starting caliber player.

So in this scenario, I took my first of 3 second round picks, got two years of quality back up play and netted 2 first round picks because of it. All the while having safety nets in place.

Option 2

You keep Goff and resign him. You have Hooker on the bench. You trade him for a first. His skill set could warrant it. No one is going to care he is 27 with no experience if they think he has a tool set that leads to winning. He is 27 and on a rookie contract and to your point that is a plus.

You have only pointed out his issue is age and Goff's contract which I said doesn't matter in the scenarios I drafted him for. So to me this is not a talent argument. I drafted him to be a one or two year high quality backup and leveraging his qb value for a trade getting qb premium for it. Second to worst case scenario the Lions get a 28 year old starter with no experience who could be extended if you choose. He will be cheaper to extend, especially if he has the skill set, without all the stats to bloat out his contract.

Worst case scenario, you get a high quality backup guarantee for Goff. You also get someone to help your defense prepare for mobile qbs. I don't see much of an issue with it any which way you go with the draft I hauled in.

Edited by LionArkie

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

That would be more option B or even C. My point was you could be incredibly creative with what you could choose to do. Below is only ONE of the options.

Primary option would be to have a quality high level back up to ensure we don't fall on our faces during a playoff run for 2023. Also, show case him 2023.

2024 go after the #1 qb target with the haul from the rest of the draft I had. You now have Goff, Hooker and QBOTF. If you can't get QBOTF, you still have Hooker and Goff. For the sake of argument, we land QBOTF.

2024 Trade Goff or Trade Hooker. Both will land you a quality pick probably 1st round or more due to qb premium (at least that's my thinking).  If you trade Goff, you get a first round pick and you can decide to start either QBOTF or Hooker depending on your comfort level. As you pointed out, Hooker is only 26.

2025, You can have QBOTF start and trade Hooker for another first if he's capable of being a starting caliber player.

So in this scenario, I took my first of 3 second round picks, got two years of quality back up play and netted 2 first round picks because of it. All the while having safety nets in place.

Option 2

You keep Goff and resign him. You have Hooker on the bench. You trade him for a first. His skill set could warrant it. No one is going to care he is 27 with no experience if they think he has a tool set that leads to winning. He is 27 and on a rookie contract and to your point that is a plus.

You have only pointed out his issue is age and Goff's contract which I said doesn't matter in the scenarios I drafted him for. So to me this is not a talent argument. I drafted him to be a one or two year high quality backup and leveraging his qb value for a trade getting qb premium for it. Second to worst case scenario the Lions get a 28 year old starter with no experience who could be extended if you choose. He will be cheaper to extend, especially if he has the skill set, without all the stats to bloat out his contract.

Worst case scenario, you get a high quality backup guarantee for Goff. You also get someone to help your defense prepare for mobile qbs. I don't see much of an issue with it any which way you go with the draft I hauled in.

I see where you're coming from in some of this stuff. I just think that a team who might be willing to offer up a 1st for Hooker would just take him and/or trade up to get him in order to secure that 5th year option. 

I'm just never going to get on board with Levis or Hooker as older prospects. For all of his time at Alabama (3 years) then transferring to Oklahoma and now 3 seasons in, Jalen Hurts is only 24. If we're going to select someone who is mobile, athletic and has upside to develop as a passer.. I'd much prefer to take that shot with a younger guy. 

I decided I wasn't going to trade in this one... I lied to myself and made a trade. I also thought I'd take a QB later, lied to myself again. This one played out a little better than my last one as it was more realistic on the top 4. Jalen Carter was there at 4 and I passed up on him for the trade as it was a good offer.

Top 10:

1 - CJ Stroud QB OSU, Texans
2 - Quentin Johnston WR TCU, Seahawks
3 - Will Anderson Jr Edge Alabama, Bears
4 - Noah Sewell LB Oregon, Texans
5 - Kelee Ringo CB Georgia, Eagles
6 - Jordan Addison WR USC, Cardinals
7 - Bryce Young QB Alabama, Colts
8 - Jalen Carter DT Georgia, Raiders
9 - Anthony Richardson QB Florida, Panthers
10 - Will Levis QB Kentucky, Falcons

Trades I made:

Texans received pick 4 and took Noah Sewell - Detroit recieved Pick 12, Pick 32, 2024 Hou 1st, 2024 Cle 1st
Titans received Pick 51 - Detroit received Pick 52 and Pick 151
Patriots received Pick 46 and took Rashee Rice - Detroit received Pick 51 and 119.

5 Round Lions Mock:

#12 - Myles Murphy Edge Clemson

I wanted a DL here to improve the pass rush. I really wanted an interior presence, but having Murphy come off one edge and Hutch off the other might give us nice things. We need nice things.

#15 - Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

Honestly, I was targeting Skoronski from the get go. Put him at G for now to replace Big V and at the end of Decker's contract move him to RT and Sewell to LT. Our line is set for a long time.

#32 - Eli Ricks CB Alabama

I wanted an early CB and I liked how Ricks' scouting report read. We now have pressure off the edges with Murphy and Hutch, and Okudah, Ricks, Jacobs, Walker and Joseph. This is shaping up nicely.

#52 - Jordan Battle S Alabama

Depth is good, quality depth is better. I like the looks of our back end of defense now.

#60 - Tank Bigsby RB Auburn

We need to add more talent in the backfield and Bigsby's scouting report talked about his processing and vision. Those are qualities I really like in a rb.

#78 - Dalton Kincaid

Wanted to add a TE, and Kincaid fit the bill. No matter what, it has to be better than a TE picked in the first let alone top 10.

#119 -Nehemiah Pritchett CB Auburn

Honestly, I don't know much about this guy but he's lengthy and athletic and a former WR. Could be a very good pickup and the depth is needed.

#146 -SirVocea Dennis LB Pittsburgh

This guy is intriguing, but needs work in coverage. Took him as a project.

#151 -Mike Morris Edge Michigan

Filling out the roster. Probably didn't need another edge, but he could turn into quality depth.

2024 Houston 1st
2024 Cleveland 1st

In reality, no way is Houston trading that for a LB, but it's PFN and it is ridiculous so there is that. No developmental Qb and no DT. I like the players I picked on paper, and think it would help the overall talent level and depth at certain positions. Depending on what we did in FA, this could turn out not bad. I honestly don't know a lot about Murphy and he could be one pick I regret taking, but I didn't like a lot of what was there and I was not going to trade down again just due to the first trade's ridiculousness.

Edited by LionArkie