Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

So I did one on Fanspeak.com and its easily my favorite I have done.  The rankings are a little different but also Will Anderson dropped like a rock to 15, lol.  And Patterson and Roy in the 6th is nuts.  

5: R1 P5 DL Jalen Carter - Georgia

15: R1 P15 EDGE Will Anderson - Alabama

46: R2 P15 CB Devon Witherspoon - Illinois

61: R2 P30 WR Cedric Tillman - Tennessee

78: R3 P15 TE Luke Musgrave - Oregon State

150: R5 P15 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina

177: R6 P2 C Jarrett Patterson - Notre Dame

190: R6 P15 DL Jaquelin Roy - LSU

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So I did one on Fanspeak.com and its easily my favorite I have done.  The rankings are a little different but also Will Anderson dropped like a rock to 15, lol.  And Patterson and Roy in the 6th is nuts.  

I mean... if you can get Jalen Carter AND Will Anderson while also not having to give up any other assets.... the rest of the draft is just gravy lol I want to live in a world where this truly happens. 

I'm digging the rest of the draft - I think you hit on a lot of solid pieces. A stud man corner to play opposite of Okudah. Big body WR to round out our young WR corp, an athletic TE that can become our future TE1, developmental guys on both lines and at LB. 

• Like 2

Another kick at the PFN can. 

1 (4) - Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia: Arguably the best player in this draft, he would provide an interior pass rush element we haven't seen since Suh was here. Hutchinson has already been a stud and this would really help to unlock him. 

1 (15) - Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State: An outstanding man corner (and not too shabby in zone either), he has the size and length to be a stud. His pairing with Okudah solidifies our secondary for a long time

2 (46) - JL Skinner, S/LB, Boise State: A hard hitting weapon. Skinner can play in the slot (SS and SCB), linebacker and even a bit of FS. 

2 (60) - Siaki Ika, NT, Baylor: A mountain of a man, he's going to plug up the middle and command double teams each and every down. Buggs has been a nice find but he's not a long-term starter. Adding a player of this caliber allows us to be flexible in our fronts (a 3 man front of McNeil, Ika, Carter would be exceptional)

3 (78) - Layden Robinson, OG, Texas A&M: Our OL is one of the key strengths on the team and why we're as successful as we have been as of late. Robinson is going to replace the injured (expensive) Vaitai. 

5 (146) - Mike Morris, Edge, Michigan: The Lions dip into the Wolverines defense for an edge rusher yet again. 6'6, 292 lbs. Morris has an exceptional pressure rate (4th highest in this edge class) and sack rate (3rd highest). He has principally played OLB in Ann Arbour but has the size to play anywhere on the line. 

6 (166) - Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss: A WR with great size (6'2, 225 lbs) that is smooth and can make plays downfield. Also pretty solid as a run blocker. He's not a burner, inconsistent hands and needs work on his routes. Has potential to develop into a guy that can round out our young WR corp.

6 (178) - Clayton Tune, QB, Houston: We should be adding a developmental QB. Tune has good size, arm strength and mobility. 

OFFENSE

• QB: Goff, Tune
  • RB: Williams, Swift, Jackson
  • FB: Cabinda
  • WR: Chark, Mingo, Raymond
  • SWR: ARSB
  • WR: Williams, Reynolds
  • TE: Wright, Mitchell, Zylstra
  • LT: Decker
  • LG: Jackson
  • OC: Ragnow, Brown
  • RG: Robinson
  • RT: Sewell, Nelson

DEFENSE

• DE: Cominsky, Paschal, Morris
  • 3T: Carter, McNeill, Onwuzurike
  • 1T: Ika, Buggs
  • DE: Hutchinson, R. Okwara, Houston
  • SLB: Anzalone, Barnes
  • WLB: Rodriguez, Pittman
  • CB: Okudah
  • SCB: Skinner, Harris, Lucas
  • CB: Porter, Jacobs
  • FS: Walker, Joseph
  • SS: Elliott

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd LOVE to get Patterson in the 6th. I doubt he makes it to our second 2nd. 

4. Jalen Carter DT Georgia- BPA at #4.

15. O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida- Porter and Simpson were off the board. Too early for me to take a RB in Bijan. Reportedly, Lions have been down to Florida on at least 5 occasions scouting. This is a little earlier than I like him, but I expect the Lions pick to move down a few slots when they make the playoffs. 

46. Jordan Battle S Alabama- My BPA here. Forbes was off the board who I like more. Siaki Ika was also off the board. Depending on what we do with DeShon Elliott and how Tracy Walker recovers, this bolsters the middle of our secondary with Kerby Joseph. 

60. Darnell Washington TE Georgia- Replace our TE with the pick we got from trading our TE. Washington was available. COuld be our TE1 moving forward and allow James Mitchell to be the solid depth TE that he is. 

78. Ivan Pace Jr. LB Cincinnati- One of my favorite players in this draft, not just LBs. I really like Pace's game and getting him in the 3rd would give us a nice one-two punch with Rodrigo.

146. Dorian Williams LB Tulane- Dorian Williams is so damn solid. He can add depth to our LB corp. 

166. Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR West Virginia- Big bodies receiver who doesn't get alot of media attention at WV. Could make Chark/Reynolds expendable in a year or two. 

178. Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington- I also like adding depth to our trenches when possible. Kirkland is a big tackle who can play inside as well. He's fluid and can cover alot of ground, which Fraley has been doing more of lately in this offense. 

OFFENSE

• QB: Goff
  • WR: Chark, Ford-Wheaton
  • SWR: ARSB, Raymond
  • TE: Washington, Wright, Mitchell
  • LT: Decker, Sewell
  • LG: Jackson, Skipper
  • RG: Torrence, Skipper
  • RT: Sewell, Kirkland

DEFENSE

• DE: Cominsky, Houston
  • DT: Carter, Paschal, Onwuzurike
  • DT: McNeill, Buggs
  • DE: Hutchinson, R. Okwara
  • SLB: Anzalone, Barnes, Williams
  • WLB: Rodriguez, Pace
  • CB: Okudah, Hughes
  • SCB: Harris, Lucas
  • CB: Jacobs, Melifonwu
  • SS: Elliott, Battle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

4. Jalen Carter DT Georgia- BPA at #4.

15. O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida- Porter and Simpson were off the board. Too early for me to take a RB in Bijan. Reportedly, Lions have been down to Florida on at least 5 occasions scouting. This is a little earlier than I like him, but I expect the Lions pick to move down a few slots when they make the playoffs. 

46. Jordan Battle S Alabama- My BPA here. Forbes was off the board who I like more. Siaki Ika was also off the board. Depending on what we do with DeShon Elliott and how Tracy Walker recovers, this bolsters the middle of our secondary with Kerby Joseph. 

60. Darnell Washington TE Georgia- Replace our TE with the pick we got from trading our TE. Washington was available. COuld be our TE1 moving forward and allow James Mitchell to be the solid depth TE that he is. 

78. Ivan Pace Jr. LB Cincinnati- One of my favorite players in this draft, not just LBs. I really like Pace's game and getting him in the 3rd would give us a nice one-two punch with Rodrigo.

146. Dorian Williams LB Tulane- Dorian Williams is so damn solid. He can add depth to our LB corp. 

166. Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR West Virginia- Big bodies receiver who doesn't get alot of media attention at WV. Could make Chark/Reynolds expendable in a year or two. 

178. Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington- I also like adding depth to our trenches when possible. Kirkland is a big tackle who can play inside as well. He's fluid and can cover alot of ground, which Fraley has been doing more of lately in this offense. 

OFFENSE

• QB: Goff
  • WR: Chark, Ford-Wheaton
  • SWR: ARSB, Raymond
  • TE: Washington, Wright, Mitchell
  • LT: Decker, Sewell
  • LG: Jackson, Skipper
  • RG: Torrence, Skipper
  • RT: Sewell, Kirkland

DEFENSE

• DE: Cominsky, Houston
  • DT: Carter, Paschal, Onwuzurike
  • DT: McNeill, Buggs
  • DE: Hutchinson, R. Okwara
  • SLB: Anzalone, Barnes, Williams
  • WLB: Rodriguez, Pace
  • CB: Okudah, Hughes
  • SCB: Harris, Lucas
  • CB: Jacobs, Melifonwu
  • SS: Elliott, Battle

I find Washington is intriguing but I just have this suspicion that he's going to wind up being an OT convert. He's already 270 lbs (10 - 20 lbs heavier than most TE's). He can allegedly run in the 4.6's at this weight. He's athletic.  (fastest OT was Wirfs running a 4.90 at 320 lbs). As a TE he has a 78.2 pass blocking grade and an 81.2 run blocking grade. He has the frame to add on the weight to get above 300 lbs. So he'd probably be a jumbo TE year 1 and wind up at RT by year 3. His background as a TE would allow him to be a weapon in plays like we just saw with Sewell last week. 

I'm finding this draft is very much offense focused and the defense really doesn't get a ton of help. I like some of the players and I'm going to have to dig into Pace and Ford-Wheaton a bit more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I find Washington is intriguing but I just have this suspicion that he's going to wind up being an OT convert. He's already 270 lbs (10 - 20 lbs heavier than most TE's). He can allegedly run in the 4.6's at this weight. He's athletic.  (fastest OT was Wirfs running a 4.90 at 320 lbs). As a TE he has a 78.2 pass blocking grade and an 81.2 run blocking grade. He has the frame to add on the weight to get above 300 lbs. So he'd probably be a jumbo TE year 1 and wind up at RT by year 3. His background as a TE would allow him to be a weapon in plays like we just saw with Sewell last week. 

I'm finding this draft is very much offense focused and the defense really doesn't get a ton of help. I like some of the players and I'm going to have to dig into Pace and Ford-Wheaton a bit more.

It's not my favorite mock draft, but it's how it fell to me and I took a couple chances. My philosophy is always to sign needs and draft talent. These were mostly my BPA at each pick. I would have liked to have drafted a corner, but all my guys got taken before each pick. Porter in the first, Forbes in the second, etc. I also expect us to sign a couple FA defensive players to address a couple needy areas. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It's not my favorite mock draft, but it's how it fell to me and I took a couple chances. My philosophy is always to sign needs and draft talent. These were mostly my BPA at each pick. I would have liked to have drafted a corner, but all my guys got taken before each pick. Porter in the first, Forbes in the second, etc. I also expect us to sign a couple FA defensive players to address a couple needy areas. 

I'm feeling like we're going to add a veteran LB (This is completely just a shot in the dark but Tremaine Edmunds is a UFA and the Bills are going to be tight on cash... one can only hope), a veteran CB (to play behind a rookie/back up Okudah). I feel most of our additions will still be through the draft but we'll add one bigger FA piece this off season. If we make the playoffs or are just on the cusp, it seems like we could attract someone outside what we'd usually expect for the Lions (outside of vastly overpaying). 

I probably do 20 mock drafts for each one that I post lol It's good to see different names and how they might fit on the roster. 

• Like 1

I should be hard at work... instead I'm hard at figuring out what prospects I like. So, in this mock I chose to trade down slightly and grab an extra 2nd. I wanted to focus more on the defense with grit, and skill set. I was looking for long, high motor and instinctive as my main attributes. If you had high athletic ability that came into play as well, but more after those other three attributes for defensive players. Most the player profiles were taken from the Painted Lines youtube author.

Trade
Atl received pick 5 - took CJ Stroud; Detroit recieved Pick 7 and Pick 40.

7.   Kelee Ringo CB Georgia 6'2 205

Physical, outside corner prospect with good athleticism and closing burst. Possesses very good speed to keep up with faster receivers. Very good run defender and tackler. Needs to add strength. Ringo will be our Future #1 moving Okudah to #2.

18.  Trenton Simpson LB Clemson 6'3" 230 pounds.

Chess piece for any defense at the next level. Possess elite combination of size, speed and physicality. Thrives in coverage with plus range. Shows excellent awareness and football IQ. Checks off all the boxes of a modern starting linebacker in the NFL. Struggles shedding blocks at times.

This is more of what I wanted vs what I think Holmes will do. I don't think there is any chance Holmes takes him here. I was between Simpson and Bresee. I like Bresee, but his injury history somewhat concerns me. Taking Simpson I think could move our defense in the right direction, plus I think our DL is currently in better shape than our LB.

40.  JL Skinner S Boise State 6' 4" 220 pounds

Possesses elite size and measurables. Unlike a lot of other big safeties, shows very good short area quickness and long speed. Very quick processor and anticipates route breaks with the best of them. Thrives in run support and a very good tackler. Doesn't have elite fluidity in his movement.

48.  Siaki Ika DT Baylor 6' 4" 358lbs.

Moves extremely well for someone his size. Thrives at splitting double teams and creating a pile in the middle. Solid quickness off the line. Big time play maker against the run. Not as fast as Jordan Davis in 2022, but has very good agility and strength. Limited as a pass rusher, two down player?

This guy might be my man crush this year. I love huge anchors in the middle of the defense. I feel they are worth their weight in Gold. Although they don't rack up the stats, they make everyone around them better. They will free up Hutch, and keep the linebackers clean. They also force the run outside. Probably more than anyone else, I want this guy on the Lions next year. I really wanted Jordan Davis last year, but I'd gladly settle for this guy this year.

60.  Tank Bigsby RB Auburn 6' 0" 208lbs.

Here is a prospect I like a lot. Thrives going north to south and dominating between the tackles. Explosive lateral cutter with very good vision and quick change of direction ability. Has short area quickness that is very impressive. Needs to improve his versatility, especially as a receiver in the passing game. Must improve in pass protection. This might be a little high for him, but I like his running ability.

79.  Lukas Van Ness Edge Iowa 6'5" 275

Possess excellent power and strength. Explosive athlete with bend and flexibility to beat blockers off the edge. Relentless in pursuit with the versatility to play anywhere on the LOS. Major upside who is only scratching the surface of his potential. Needs refinement as a pass rusher. I think Van Ness will be picked higher than this.

149. Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan 6' 5" 250lbs.

Pros: The first noticeable thing was his desire to seek out his target in the run game. Luke Schoonmaker is a reliable blocker from in-line and the slot. He’s able to crack down and seal ‘backers on outside runs. His willingness to block opens up delay or leak opportunities in the passing game. He locates and settles into the soft spots in zone coverage, making himself available for the quarterback. When given the opportunity, he has shown to be a sure-handed option downfield. He presents a big and tall target working the seams of the defense. I like the toughness he displays at the catch point—he handles contact well during the catch process. In his limited reps, he tracks the ball well in flight. 

Cons: Luke Schoonmaker lacks sustainability as a blocker. After the initial set point, he does not show the lower-body strength to anchor at the point of attack. Lowering his pad level and activating his hands quicker can improve this issue. Schoonmaker telegraphs his breaks on out and in-breaking routes. His breaks are not crisp, they’re segmented. This provides defenders an extra second to break on the ball. He would benefit from a stronger and consistent vertical push to sell take-offs and give him free space underneath to break into. - Draft Network

167. Jay Ward S LSU 6' 1" 180 pounds

Physical and instinctive in run support. Possesses very good frame and length to add mass at the next level. That length and frame makes him a ball hawk during contested catches down field. Has solid fluidity in his movement and change of direction ability to mirror WRs. Injury history and durability concerns.

180. Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington 6' 7" 310lbs

Pros: Jaxson Kirkland is a smart and experienced blocker that will enter the NFL with multiple years of starting experience at right guard and left tackle. He executes with good timing in the run game and excellent awareness in pass protection. Kirkland is effective with executing scoops and combo blocks and has excellent range in the run game. He offers sufficient length and good foot quickness to mirror pass rushers. Despite having some challenges with leverage, Kirkland is generally a smooth and controlled operator that plays within himself. He demonstrates a willingness to sit on his hips and remain balanced. While he isn’t a road grader, Kirkland shows a likable temperament and tenacity in how he plays the game. He is very deliberate about keeping his hands busy and competing to keep them fit. He generally does well to take advantage of angles and body positioning. 

Cons: Jaxson Kirkland is thin in his lower half and he struggles to maintain a consistent base. In pass protection, his base often lacks proper width and his heels can get clicky, leading to disadvantageous positions to anchor and absorb power. When he concedes pressure, I felt it had a lot to do with an inconsistent base and a lack of comfort operating his hands independently—his strikes are predictable and he often shoots them both simultaneously. Kirkland is a tall offensive lineman, which leads to some challenges with playing with good pad level and he’s frequently out-leveraged at the point of attack. Kirkland will be a 25-year-old rookie.  - Draft Network

Here's one done with PFF's mock simulator, they were only doing 2 rounds for a while but they went to 7 rounds like last week. I went in allowing the Lions to make one trade, and to keep it realistic, because with PFF you can do all kinds of crazy stuff if you want.

In my scenario, Chicago trades down with Indianapolis who is looking for a QB, and Seattle chooses Jalen Carter over Will Anderson, who just might be judged as slightly small for an edge rusher.

4. Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama
In my judgment, however, Anderson is really perfect for the Lions because he's a speed rusher across from Hutch, but can also be used in zone coverages or off the ball occasionally.

(note: this would mark the 3rd consecutive year that my #1 overall player fell to the Lions. fingers crossed)

Lions trade #19 to New York for #23, #86, #118
Giants are looking for a tackle (I don't know how likely this is but this is what PFF offered me) and part with 3rd and 4th round picks to move up. Might be a little more than the Giants would give IRL, but it's not way out of bounds.

23. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
We'll see how all these corners shake out in draft preprations. For now, Porter looks like a top choice, good size, aggressive, great chance to be a #1 outside guy.

50. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
Lions double up on corners as I feel they should. Much like Paschal last year, they see a guy that has the right makeup as a player and they don't let position prevent them from adding him.

60. Keondre Coburn, DT, Texas
Lions need a big 3-tech to play alongside McNeill on run downs and maybe get a little pass rush. Coburn might be more of a NT type at his size, but this DT class is not overwhelming and at least Coburn gives them plenty of that added size Campbell wants.

82. Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina
I don't believe the Lions are going to spend big capital trying to get a star LB because I don't think that's their strategy, but they need one who can cover. Gray is a converted DB and might fit the bill.

86. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
Hard to say if Chark and Reynolds will both re-sign or not. If they do, the Lions might not draft a WR at all. But if they do draft one, they'll want an outside guy across from Jamo. They've acquired extra draft picks in this scenario, and down here at the end of the third round, Hyatt is available.

118. Chris Smith, S, Georgia
Hard to say if Elliott will re-sign. Like Hyatt, I'm surprised Smith is available here. Maybe he has limitations I doin't know about, but I think he's a good player.

146. Chase Brown, RB, Illinois
I was tempted to use a higher pick on a RB, but I feel Jamaal Williams is a lock to come back next year. He's just so central to the Lions' program right now. If Brown is gone at this point, I'd look at Mohamed Ibrahim too.

162. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Do we really need to draft an interior lineman higher than this? Next year we'll have Vaitai, Kraemer and Brown competing for that right guard position and providing depth. Another late round guy from a great program should be a good choice.

178. Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
Now we're down where the Lions have met all their needs and I have no idea about the players available. Schoonmaker can block a little and catch the ball a little, maybe he can compete  for that #3 TE job and be a good special teams player.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Here's one done with PFF's mock simulator, they were only doing 2 rounds for a while but they went to 7 rounds like last week. I went in allowing the Lions to make one trade, and to keep it realistic, because with PFF you can do all kinds of crazy stuff if you want.

In my scenario, Chicago trades down with Indianapolis who is looking for a QB, and Seattle chooses Jalen Carter over Will Anderson, who just might be judged as slightly small for an edge rusher.

In my judgment, however, Anderson is really perfect for the Lions because he's a speed rusher across from Hutch, but can also be used in zone coverages or off the ball occasionally.

(note: this would mark the 3rd consecutive year that my #1 overall player fell to the Lions. fingers crossed)

Lions trade #19 to New York for #23, #86, #118
Giants are looking for a tackle (I don't know how likely this is but this is what PFF offered me) and part with 3rd and 4th round picks to move up. Might be a little more than the Giants would give IRL, but it's not way out of bounds.

We'll see how all these corners shake out in draft preprations. For now, Porter looks like a top choice, good size, aggressive, great chance to be a #1 outside guy.

Lions double up on corners as I feel they should. Much like Paschal last year, they see a guy that has the right makeup as a player and they don't let position prevent them from adding him.

60. Keondre Coburn, DT, Texas
Lions need a big 3-tech to play alongside McNeill on run downs and maybe get a little pass rush. Coburn might be more of a NT type at his size, but this DT class is not overwhelming and at least Coburn gives them plenty of that added size Campbell wants.

82. Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina
I don't believe the Lions are going to spend big capital trying to get a star LB because I don't think that's their strategy, but they need one who can cover. Gray is a converted DB and might fit the bill.

86. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
Hard to say if Chark and Reynolds will both re-sign or not. If they do, the Lions might not draft a WR at all. But if they do draft one, they'll want an outside guy across from Jamo. They've acquired extra draft picks in this scenario, and down here at the end of the third round, Hyatt is available.

118. Chris Smith, S, Georgia
Hard to say if Elliott will re-sign. Like Hyatt, I'm surprised Smith is available here. Maybe he has limitations I doin't know about, but I think he's a good player.

146. Chase Brown, RB, Illinois
I was tempted to use a higher pick on a RB, but I feel Jamaal Williams is a lock to come back next year. He's just so central to the Lions' program right now. If Brown is gone at this point, I'd look at Mohamed Ibrahim too.

162. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Do we really need to draft an interior lineman higher than this? Next year we'll have Vaitai, Kraemer and Brown competing for that right guard position and providing depth. Another late round guy from a great program should be a good choice.

178. Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
Now we're down where the Lions have met all their needs and I have no idea about the players available. Schoonmaker can block a little and catch the ball a little, maybe he can compete  for that #3 TE job and be a good special teams player.

Overall I like your draft. I especially like the Devon Witherspoon pick. After reading up on him and watching some of his film I like him a lot and see him as a good fit on this team.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

My only concern here is that we'd have 3 guys who are all outside corners (Jerry Jacobs, Porter, Witherspoon). Maybe you're relying on Okudah to slide in at SCB or bringing in a vet. Otherwise, both Witherspoon and Porter have really strong Man coverage grades and are still solid in Zone. 

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

He's really struggled in coverage this year (61.1 PFF score for Coverage) and he's played 0 snaps at ILB. You don't bypass an elite level talent but it does force us to come in with a plan on how he'd be utilized and paired with another high pick (Hutchinson). I'd also want to understand how this would impact guys like Paschal, Romeo Okwara and John Cominsky. You can't let those guys dictate what you do but I also don't want to throw away a bunch of guys who have been successful for us and be very effective depth pieces. I'd almost be more inclined to trade down or take a traditional 4-3 DE in Myles Murphy but how do you bypass a guy like Anderson? 

35 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

My only concern here is that we'd have 3 guys who are all outside corners (Jerry Jacobs, Porter, Witherspoon). Maybe you're relying on Okudah to slide in at SCB or bringing in a vet. Otherwise, both Witherspoon and Porter have really strong Man coverage grades and are still solid in Zone. 

He's really struggled in coverage this year (61.1 PFF score for Coverage) and he's played 0 snaps at ILB. You don't bypass an elite level talent but it does force us to come in with a plan on how he'd be utilized and paired with another high pick (Hutchinson). I'd also want to understand how this would impact guys like Paschal, Romeo Okwara and John Cominsky. You can't let those guys dictate what you do but I also don't want to throw away a bunch of guys who have been successful for us and be very effective depth pieces. I'd almost be more inclined to trade down or take a traditional 4-3 DE in Myles Murphy but how do you bypass a guy like Anderson? 

- You can never have too many corners. There are lots of formations, and matchups, that don't follow the typical pattern of outside vs slot corners. Look at the Lions now - playing a converted safety (and one who wasn't very good there) at slot. The Lions just need more talent and depth at the position, period. Take the best football players you can get and find a place to put them.

- I would never play Anderson at ILB. I'm talking about on off-ball SLB, which isn't played much by teams these days but again, in rare matchups or formations. Or, if they wanted to flex to 3-4 looks, at an OLB.

- With all our DL's, what we don't have is a true speed rusher. Well, I guess we do now in Houston, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a spot pass rush specialist and special-teams monster.

Look, the Lions are in a position now where they have pretty solid or promising guys all over the place. We're not used to this, but from now on the Lions will be drafting guys who are coming in to take a job from someone who doesn't totally stink. Besides, I think DL can go 9 deep and with my draft, we'd have some serious depth:

1st/Run Downs
1st Unit Aidan - Coburn - McNeill - Anderson
2nd Unit Romeo - Onwuzurike - Buggs - Cominsky

3rd/Pass Downs
1st Unit Anderson - Aidan - Cominsky - Houston
2nd Unit Romeo - Paschal - Cominsky - ? (Maybe Aidan or Anderson just stay on the field)(Maybe they keep J. Okwara as a 10th DL)

At any rate, guys will get hurt. I'm way less worried about having too many CB's and DL's than I am about having too few.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

Used the PFF simulator:

1 (4) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia - Starting 3T

1 (18) Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State - Starting CB

2 (49) Mike Morris, Edge, Michigan - Big body defensive end that has a near 20% pressure rate. Can play on multiple spots on the line

2 (61) JL Skinner, S, Boise State - Hybrid S/LB, solid run defender that can be flexed into different spots

3 (81) Christian Haynes, RG, Connecticut - High level OG with elite PFF grades at run blocking and pass blocking. Long-term starter to replace Vaitai.

5 (145) Xavier Hutchinson, WR, Iowa State - Underrated WR with good size (6'3, 205)

6 (162) Ivan Pace Jr, LB, Cincinnati - Solid LB in run support and coverage. Isn't the biggest guy at 6'0, 228. Rodrigo 2.0.

6 (177) DeMarcco Hellams, S, Alabama - Versatile safety that can play in the box, single high or split. 

How we looking, Boyz?:

• DET
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Kelee Ringo
    CB Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jahmyr Gibbs
    RB Alabama