Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

47 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Depending on what happens with free agency, I could see the Lions upgrading some pieces on offense early on. The CB class is considered to be deep so they may opt to help provide even more firepower for Jared Goff/Ben Johnson to help offset the departure of DJ Chark (assuming he doesn't come back) and to shore up the unreliable/may not be here next year, D'Andre Swift. I have a feeling that Washington is going to be asked to bulk up and play OT/OG in a zone-based scheme. 

My biggest concern with this draft, assuming that these aren't addressed in FA, is that our very porous secondary really doesn't get any better here. You address DL, LB essentially stays the same as does the secondary. You can't rely on guys like Garner or Torrence to be impact players - anything they do really is gravy. 

Yeah the sim wasn't friendly for trying to get some DBs, by 48 the only DB really considered a potential year 1 starter left was Keelee and personally even though DB is a bigger need than Dline if I had to choose between Ika and Ringo I'd rather have Ika. 

Could have addressed LB at 48 as Campbell was still on the board but since this was an offensive themed mock I took the TE since other than G it's our most glaring offensive need. I was hoping Campbell would fall to 55 and intended to take him there but unfortunately he was snatched up by someone else. 

Personally I like Washington as a TE, I love the versatility that he offers as a guy that has borderline o-line blocking skills but is also sure-handed. he should be a nightmare in the red zone and very good at moving the sticks. I think his exact draft position and outlook is going to be heavily relying on the combine...there are claims he's clocked in the 4.6 range and if he can I think he'll definitely solidify himself as the number 2 TE in this draft and a 2nd round pick...though I am a bit skeptical about those claims since out of high school he ran 4.8. He'll definitely be someone people will be keeping a close eye on at the combine 

2 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Yeah the sim wasn't friendly for trying to get some DBs, by 48 the only DB really considered a potential year 1 starter left was Keelee and personally even though DB is a bigger need than Dline if I had to choose between Ika and Ringo I'd rather have Ika. 

Could have addressed LB at 48 as Campbell was still on the board but since this was an offensive themed mock I took the TE since other than G it's our most glaring offensive need. I was hoping Campbell would fall to 55 and intended to take him there but unfortunately he was snatched up by someone else. 

Personally I like Washington as a TE, I love the versatility that he offers as a guy that has borderline o-line blocking skills but is also sure-handed. he should be a nightmare in the red zone and very good at moving the sticks. I think his exact draft position and outlook is going to be heavily relying on the combine...there are claims he's clocked in the 4.6 range and if he can I think he'll definitely solidify himself as the number 2 TE in this draft and a 2nd round pick...though I am a bit skeptical about those claims since out of high school he ran 4.8. He'll definitely be someone people will be keeping a close eye on at the combine 

I'm less interested (slightly) in Washington's 40 than I am in his SS and 3C. That's something I know has been raised as a concern in terms of his ability to be effective at the professional level as a TE. He's also rather inexperienced as a pass-catcher so he's going to be raw as a route runner, reliability of hands, etc.

Traded away '24 3rd, picked up '24 4th. What do y'all think?:

pfn-logo-black
  • DET
    Brian Branch
    S Alabama

• DET
    Peter Skoronski
    OL Northwestern
    trade icon
  • DET
    Noah Sewell
    LB Oregon
    trade icon
  • DET
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jalin Hyatt
    WR Tennessee
    trade icon
  • DET
    Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE Iowa

• DET
    Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida
    trade icon
  • DET
    Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson
    NCB TCU
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
  • DET
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Zach Harrison
    EDGE Ohio State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jaylon Jones
    CB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jayden Reed
    WR Michigan State
    trade icon
  • 2024 NO 4th
end-screen-logo-draftkings-2.png

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Traded away '24 3rd, picked up '24 4th. What do y'all think?:

pfn-logo-black
  • DET
    Brian Branch
    S Alabama

• DET
    Peter Skoronski
    OL Northwestern
    trade icon
  • DET
    Noah Sewell
    LB Oregon
    trade icon
  • DET
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jalin Hyatt
    WR Tennessee
    trade icon
  • DET
    Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE Iowa

• DET
    Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida
    trade icon
  • DET
    Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson
    NCB TCU
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
  • DET
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Zach Harrison
    EDGE Ohio State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jaylon Jones
    CB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jayden Reed
    WR Michigan State
    trade icon
  • 2024 NO 4th
end-screen-logo-draftkings-2.png

Uhh...we don't need a tackle... Especially not 1st round.

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

You could put him at guard and move him to tackle when Decker’s contract is up.

Has he played any guard? I thought he pretty much exclusively played LT in his time at northwestern? I wouldn't draft a dude in the 1st round to play him in a position he's never played before. 

Not that it matters anyway he won't be available at 20. 

36 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Has he played any guard? I thought he pretty much exclusively played LT in his time at northwestern? I wouldn't draft a dude in the 1st round to play him in a position he's never played before. 

From what I’ve read, he is projected to possibly move inside in the nfl due to his length. I think if you pick him with the second, you are picking him for G now and tackle in 2 years and playing the long game. No idea if that was this mocks intention or not though. Nor do I know if that is the best use of resources. I wouldn’t be opposed to a stud at G with our second first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

He won't be available at 20 but there are conversations about him being a guard (an elite level one) due to a lack of arm length (allegedly). He is probably taken in the top 16 as either OT2 or OG1.

• Like 1

Trade #6 to Atlanta (CJ Stroud) for #8, #44, #113

• #8 - Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson: Murphy slips and is BPA at this position. I'd consider Gonzalez or Witherspoon here but it's a deeper CB class.

Trade #18 to Denver (Anton Harrison, OT) for #29, #68

• #29 - Antonio Johnson, CB/S, Texas A&M: BPA here and he does address a need to fill out the slot. 
  • #44 - Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa: I think he's a high floor player that will be the leader of our defense for a long time. Solid tackler that is strong against the run and in zone
  • #48 - Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State: An outstanding man corner that does lack in size. 
  • #55 - John Michael Schmitz, OG/OC, Minnesota: A solid option to upgrade at RG and/or back up Ragnow
  • #68 - Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland: A CB with really good size (6'2, 205) that makes a lot of play son the ball. Continue to add depth to the position
  • #81 - Jordan Battle, S, Alabama: Is more of a FS but he can play a split safety role. He's Tracy Walker insurance. 
  • #113 - Byron Young, DL, Alabama: Add a piece to our overall DL group in addition to Murphy. 
  • #153 - Ivan Pace, LB, Cincinnati: We need quality players and depth at the LB position. Anzalone's days as a Lion are numbered (whether it's this year, next year, etc.) and Barnes might not be a long-term solution
  • #181 - Kenny McIntosh, RB, Georgia: RB that offers a lot in size and coming from a championship program. Solid RB depth
  • #192 - Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama: While we aren't going to pay a guy like Hockenson $15M+, we do need to continue to add to the position
  • Like 2

If I'm the Lions GM I'm picking up your QBOTF at 6 and then using your remaining 1st and 2nd rounders to build up the defense.

Ideally you won't be picking top 10 for a while so why not get your franchise guy now and let him compete to start.

4 hours ago, viking said:

If I'm the Lions GM I'm picking up your QBOTF at 6 and then using your remaining 1st and 2nd rounders to build up the defense.

Ideally you won't be picking top 10 for a while so why not get your franchise guy now and let him compete to start.

Because Jared Goff is under contract for another two years, playing at a top 5 level and you don't have to get your QBOTF in the top 10 or you can leverage some of your future to go and get your guy if you're in that position. To go from 25 (NYG) to 15 (GB), you're looking at the equivalent of a late round 2nd. You can get into the range for where a guy like Deshaun or Mahomes was selected without having to give up the farm while still adding top 10 level talent to the rest of the roster. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, viking said:

And who is that, exactly? Bryce Young won't be there. We'll see about Stroud, Levis, Richardson or whoever else, the off season still has to shake out, but do you think any of those is a QBOTF? Do the Lions? What if they don't?

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 2:37 AM, viking said:

I would much rather trade down and pick up another future 1st or two.  Then we will have more ammo in the future if we need to go up and get a QB but if Goff continues his play, there is no need given he is only 28.  If Stroud is there, I'd consider it but I also think its a wasted pick given we are close now and that pick likely won't be used for a year or two at the earliest.  I think we will go defense early and often to help the D match the production of the O. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:37 AM, viking said:

I would much rather trade down and pick up another future 1st or two.  Then we will have more ammo in the future if we need to go up and get a QB but if Goff continues his play, there is no need given he is only 28.  If Stroud is there, I'd consider it but I also think its a wasted pick given we are close now and that pick likely won't be used for a year or two at the earliest.  I think we will go defense early and often to help the D match the production of the O. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 4:43 PM, LionArkie said:

From what I’ve read, he is projected to possibly move inside in the nfl due to his length. I think if you pick him with the second, you are picking him for G now and tackle in 2 years and playing the long game. No idea if that was this mocks intention or not though. Nor do I know if that is the best use of resources. I wouldn’t be opposed to a stud at G with our second first.

This is what I was going off. That's why he is listed in the draft as OL and not OT, fwiw.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, LionArkie said:

You could put him at guard and move him to tackle when Decker’s contract is up.

This is what I was thinking; he would play guard and possibly transition. I could also just see him being an elite guard, though.

• Like 1