Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

12 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I saw this one too and thought the same thing. Especially in regards to the TE position. However, I am nervous that Bijan could get picked up. I too think he could be really good, and if he is rated the best player in the draft regardless of position, could Holmes take him to make that offense hum? I hope not, but I don't think it could be impossible. If that happened, I'd lose some respect for Holmes. I'd have a hard time taking Bijan at 18, let alone 6.

I do think that Holmes does follow positional value. If he traded down to say Washington's pick (I think it's around 16) and he's BPA, I could see him being our first pick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I do think that Holmes does follow positional value. If he traded down to say Washington's pick (I think it's around 16) and he's BPA, I could see him being our first pick. 

Which I would be better with. I believe in positional value, and I hope Holmes does as well. I just get jittery when I see a talent like Bijan sitting there and the whole bpa mantra. I know it's never bad to add talent and we need talent; but I want that talent at the defensive spots or even on the OL for the offense this year.

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Which I would be better with. I believe in positional value, and I hope Holmes does as well. I just get jittery when I see a talent like Bijan sitting there and the whole bpa mantra. I know it's never bad to add talent and we need talent; but I want that talent at the defensive spots or even on the OL for the offense this year.

Free agency is definitely going to play a part in things. If we trade for Jalen Ramsey or sign Jamel Dean (or another CB1 gets added along the way), Levi looks good and we're targeting someone like Benton in the later rounds (since Carter won't fall to us), we could even see it at 9 if the Panthers trade up, we get extra assets and he's this glaring BPA. I'd be happy to have Bijan on the roster but I don't know if I'd love it without knowing what extra stuff we'd get. The only thing that softens that blow is having the extra 1st rounder at 18. 

• Like 1

TRADE

Detroit trades #81 (3rd) and 2024 1st to LA Rams for Jalen Ramsey

The Rams opt to begin re-tool mode by trading away Ramsey and adding a future pick. The Lions opt to add a veteran presence in the secondary and expect to have a lower pick than 18 in 2024, so they're comfortable kicking that 1st to next year. 

TRADE

Detroit trades #6 to Atlanta (Will Levis) for #8, #44, #113 and 2024 3rd

#8 - Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois - Lions pair Ramsey with their future at CB1. This gives the Lions two shutdown corners on either side. 

#18 - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas - I wanted to base this mock around "what would it look like if the Lions took Bijan in round 1". 

#44 - John Michael Schmitz, OC/OG, Minnesota - One of the best IOL in the whole class. He's going to start at RG but can be a high end starter at OC if Ragnow goes down

#48 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa - I am going to try and will this to happen. 

TRADE

Detroit trades #55 to Miami (Keion White) for #77 and #84

#77 - Rashee Rice, WR, SMU - A possession WR, he's going to be a solid WR3/WR4 that offers some size and contested catch ability our current corp does not have. Ideally drafted with Chark back for another 1-2 years

#84 - Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida - I needed/wanted to address DL and he was the best guy in this spot. Maybe some untapped potential as a 3T

#113 - Keondre Coburn, NT, Texas - Additional depth piece on the DL. He's inconsistent but has played well enough at times to garner a 1st or 2nd round consideration. Could develop into something

#154 - Rashad Torrence II, S, Florida - A versatile safety that grades well in most aspects

#183 - Thomas Incoom, Edge, Central Michigan - Offers good size and strong against the run. Needs work as a pass rusher

#194 - Aubrey Miller Jr, LB/S, Jackson State - He's likely going to be a ST guy but has the potential coverage ability to find playing time as a slot defender/nickel LB. Could play himself into the backup WLB role behind Rodrigo. 

• Like 1

I did this one with the theme being to move down, grab more picks, secure Anthony Richardson as likely QBOTF after a few years developing, as well as getting him on the field for scripted plays. I traded away Detroit's '24 3rd to move up for Jayden Reed and Mohamed Ibrahim. I like Goff more than most but also like Richardson's potential as a guy you can sit for two, maybe even three years if needed and really have something magical at the end of that rainbow. I'm always going to put Sewell on the Lions 😀🤷. The rest are BPA and need combined.

9. Anthony Richardson, QB Florida

15. Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois

27. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida

44. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE Kansas State

59. Noah Sewell, LB Oregon

69. Dalton Kincaid, TE Utah

78. Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

111. Keeanu Benton, DT Wisconsin

112. Jayden Reed, WR Michigan State

144. Kenny McIntosh, RB Georgia

172. Jaxson Kirkland, OT Washington

185. Byron Young, EDGE Tennessee

231. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB Minnesota

TRADE

Lions trade #6 to Carolina for #9, #39, #93, #132 and 2024 4th

#9 - Brian Branch, NCB/S, Alabama

#18 - Christian Gonzalez, WCB, Oregon

#39 - Tanner McKee, QB, Stanford

#48 - John Michael Schmitz, OC/OG, Minnesota

#55 - Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

#81 - Rashee Rice, WR, SMU

#93 - Kendre Miller, RB, TCU

#132 - Jerrod Clark, NT, Coastal Carolina

#154 - Henry To'oTo'o, WLB, Alabama

#183 - Ali Gaye, Edge, LSU

#194 - Josh Whyle, TE, Cincinnati

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

TRADE

Lions trade #6 to Carolina for #9, #39, #93, #132 and 2024 4th

#9 - Brian Branch, NCB/S, Alabama

#18 - Christian Gonzalez, WCB, Oregon

#39 - Tanner McKee, QB, Stanford

#48 - John Michael Schmitz, OC/OG, Minnesota

#55 - Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

#81 - Rashee Rice, WR, SMU

#93 - Kendre Miller, RB, TCU

#132 - Jerrod Clark, NT, Coastal Carolina

#154 - Henry To'oTo'o, WLB, Alabama

#183 - Ali Gaye, Edge, LSU

#194 - Josh Whyle, TE, Cincinnati

Now, wait, aren’t you the guy who busted my chops for taking a qb in the second when I did a trade down and had multiple seconds?

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Now, wait, aren’t you the guy who busted my chops for taking a qb in the second when I did a trade down and had multiple seconds?

It's entirely possible lol McKee is growing on me and I feel like he could be the best value, especially late round 1 or round 2. 

Which guy did you take?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's entirely possible lol McKee is growing on me and I feel like he could be the best value, especially late round 1 or round 2. 

Which guy did you take?

#10 Jalen Carter DT Georgia

I didn't plan on Carter falling to 10, but he was there and he is probably my favorite for our top spot this year.

*#23 Bijan Robinson RB Texas

I was hoping Porter would fall to 23, he didn't and Robinson was there. Although I would rather add quality to our defense, it was too much talent to pass up on in the 20s. So Robinson it is. Good luck defending the run in detroit.

*#40 Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

Since I passed on the top 2 qb for draft picks for next year, I wanted to land a developmental qb. Hooker was sitting there, and like a good Lion I pounced on him.

#46 Siaki Ilka DT Baylor

This is probably an overkill at DT, but I like my IDL anchors. Now we have a good one and have a good rotation of DTs.

#60 Nolan Smith Edge Georgia

I want our Pass rush to be better.

*#71 Owen Pappoe LB Auburn

This team needs LB play in the worst way. I went with an athletic one.

#78 Kyu Blu Kelly CB Stanford

He has the size and intangibles for my Corner. I'd have much rather took one earlier, but that didn't happen. So I was between Kelly and Garner here and I went with Kelly.

#146 Tyler Steen OT Alabama

I wanted an OT or OG and picked Steen here hoping he can turn into a quality backup and possible RT of the future.

2024 Picks we receive:
NYG 1st
Atl 1st
Jax 4th
NYG 6th

The entire discussion is here on page 2:

Not that it matters much, but I've seen you come around to my way of thinking now 😉. My thoughts are, if you land some extra picks in the second, and there is a qb sitting there that you like and worth a second; then don't lose sleep about losing that 5th year option. I will take Drew Brees in the second round 100/100 times. In fact I remember jumping up and down in fury when we past on him in the 1st. Not that I believe there is a Drew Brees in this years draft, but I don't think they thought there was one then either.

Edited by LionArkie

49 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

The entire discussion is here on page 2:

Not that it matters much, but I've seen you come around to my way of thinking now 😉. My thoughts are, if you land some extra picks in the second, and there is a qb sitting there that you like and worth a second; then don't lose sleep about losing that 5th year option. I will take Drew Brees in the second round 100/100 times. In fact I remember jumping up and down in fury when we past on him in the 1st. Not that I believe there is a Drew Brees in this years draft, but I don't think they thought there was one then either.

Oh noo...McKee and Hooker aren't the same. Hooker is going to be 26 years old and coming off of an injury. McKee is 22, has prototypical size, above average athleticism. Stats don't pop off because of that scheme. I only took him here because of the glaring value. If the Lions really like someone and they're about to slip out of Round 1, they should probably trade up to 31 to get that 5th year option. 

I'm still of the mind that we should wait on QB barring incredible value where you can take a calculated risk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

What are you liking about McKee?

Prototypical size

Above average athleticism (he can make plays with his feet but he's not a dual threat)

Stanford offense was awful yet he still put up nearly 3,000 yards on the 5th most number of snaps (433) with a 61.2% completion rate. 

He had nearly as many Big Time Throws (dictated by PFF) as Hendon Hooker (15 vs HH's 17), tied for the second lowest Turnover Worthy Play % (1.8%, tied with Tommy Devito on 100 less snaps), dealt with 18 drops (above average) while facing the highest number of pressure attempts (t-148) and was sacked 40 times (highest). 

He has the tools to be a really solid NFL QB for a long time. I don't know if this is a proper comparison but a guy like Derek Carr seems to come to mind. A long time starter with upside but he isn't going to be that Tier 1 guy like a Mahomes. However, you can win a lot of games with someone like that and you can even win Super Bowls (Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Oh noo...McKee and Hooker aren't the same. Hooker is going to be 26 years old and coming off of an injury. McKee is 22, has prototypical size, above average athleticism. Stats don't pop off because of that scheme. I only took him here because of the glaring value. If the Lions really like someone and they're about to slip out of Round 1, they should probably trade up to 31 to get that 5th year option. 

I'm still of the mind that we should wait on QB barring incredible value where you can take a calculated risk. 

Like I said, 2nd round is 2nd round and neither selection has a 5th year option. The argument here is about player preference which I'm fine with. But at the time, the 5th year option was the discussion. a 5th year option is great, but I'm not going to pass up on what I value in the 2nd because I lose the 5th year option, which ultimately seems to be your thought in this mock as well. In the end, it's either talent or it's not. Don't pass on talent because you lose options.

But I digress, I haven't watched a lot of McKee, but I'd be perfectly fine with taking a talented qb, no matter who it is, in the 2nd and not trading back up into the first if the talent is there.

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Like I said, 2nd round is 2nd round and neither selection has a 5th year option. The argument here is about player preference which I'm fine with. But at the time, the 5th year option was the discussion. a 5th year option is great, but I'm not going to pass up on what I value in the 2nd because I lose the 5th year option, which ultimately seems to be your thought in this mock as well. In the end, it's either talent or it's not. Don't pass on talent because you lose options.

But I digress, I haven't watched a lot of McKee, but I'd be perfectly fine with taking a talented qb, no matter who it is, in the 2nd and not trading back up into the first if the talent is there.

I don't love the idea of taking a QB early in round 2 - if McKee or Anthony Richardson fall then it's certainly something I would have to consider. 

• Like 1