QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Is it safe to assume that KingofNewYork abandon footballsfuture so he can pick up extra cash from triple jobs to cover Zach Wilson's special QB lesson? lol.

Anyway, that is bummer that Wilson has yet to show true legitimate NFL skillset to be Jets' franchise QB but he is still 2 year pro.  Who know what will happen to him next year or whatever.

Immediate Replacement:

Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

- I don't see how will Packers trade him away. It isn't Rodgers' fault that Packers are struggling embarrassingly. His new go to guy Christian Watson has emerged but the offense is still simple enough for defense to minimize Rodgers' production.  I can see Packers will clean up QB image by trading Jordan Love away and picking a solid veteran WR for 2023. 

Chance to acquire him is ZERO.

Derek Carr (Raiders)

- 40.4m guarantee to pick up on February 10 if he is on the roster. Wow.. That is way long before new league year kicks in. Because of that I can see Raiders flatly out cut him loose in February rather than trying to trade him for something good return. If so, I can still expect him to pick Buccaneers over other qb starving teams. No income and playoff caliber team.

Chance to acquire him is 20 percent.

Jimmy Garoppolo (49ers)

- He won't be 300 passing yard machine for Jets but he is able to keep offense alive longer for skill players to have chance to touch football for greater result.  I am sick of Wilson's lack of continuous offense that makes game statistic looks pathetic. Now, 49ers and Jets are in the similar situation regarding 2021 qb products as we can't know for sure that both organizations will move on with Jimmy G at the helm for real. That is why I think Jimmy G will sign with Panthers due to better job security. Unless Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas make it clear that they count on a veteran qb to be their starting gb without any competition in the media circus, I don't foresee him playing for Jets.

Chance to acquire him is 25 percent.

Back Up/ Spot Starter:

Mike White (Jets)

-No reason not to re-sign him if he finishes the season holding the final playoff spot or better. Just don't pay him like a mega starter. lol.

Cooper Rush (Cowboys)

-He isn't that special but he somewhat offers a good charisma in offense as long as run game and stiff defense are there.

Tyrod Taylor (Giants)

-He is good at not losing football recklessly to opposing defense.

Draftee:

CJ Stroud and Bryce Young

-Don't bother to think about a possibility of falling further. Move on.

Michael Penix Jr

-2 Torn ACL???  He has 2 full years and some change under his belt.  Because of COVID eligibility which causes some questions about "older" quarterbacks in the drafts, we should take a shot at 23 years old with 2 blown ACLs in 2nd round without any hesitation. He is capable of many different throws from short to deep and has serious game moxie.

Max Duggan

-He has shown he can survey the field well. 4 year starter who can make all throws with solid footwork. Bad footwork leads him to throw football onto the ground. I project him as a solid backup qb in long term.

Clayton Tune (Houston)

-He should excel in the Shanahan offense or older.  Despite of being short of NFL arm, he can make all catchable throws to chests and heads. I am okay with that because he is tall and his throwing release is high.  Still needs to eliminate staring down trait to be a successful in pro. Starter or Back Up

KJ Jefferson (Arkansas)

-I kind of have to add his name to this listing due to this FF's hype.  Granted, he has solid size, arm and legs but he has no showcase for surveying the field as all. It will take 3 or 4 years to break the nasty starting down habit and absorb the advanced offense with surveying skill set.  It doesn't matter if Mike LaFleur won't be around after next 2 years because there are not many coaches that can develop offense without surveying requirement in NFL. Honestly, I would be in shock if he breaks all old habits after one year in pro.

I am sure there will be more quarterbacks that needs to be involved in the discussion but thats all for now.   Now you go ahead and develop some imaginary plan to resolve or solve Jets' pathetic qb issue.  I will come back and look around to see if we have any brightest idea.

Peace Out!

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

Well this is hell.

Who I hope for? Rodgers. We should have the money to make either of these happen, and if Rodgers is available for trade, then that means GB is past him and he's likely cheap to obtain.

Who I can stand? Carr. He's not a word beater, but I think he's good.

Who I want to stay far away from? Drafting a QB, league wide backups, and Jimmy G. Have two projects on the squad makes no sense. Backups are still backups for a reason. And Jimmy G "plays" under one of the best offensive minds in the league. Hard pass on all.

Dark Horse: No not, Lamar, he's getting tagged or a contract for sure - but Daniel Jones. I think there's a small chance Giants let him walk and he's just luke-warm enough to be overlooked by the rest of the NFL. He's improved a ton and I think he can be our Carr but with legs.

I don't get why people think benching a QB no matter what year he is a bad thing? The Pats benched Jones and he came fighting back. I'm so tired of treating these rookie QB's with gloves. Most QB's are bust or just good enoiugh to be an NFL starter. It is a very hard job to do. I'm for one to keep drafting QB so you always have an option if your starter sucks or gets hurt. If that QB feels it is a threat to their job by drafting a QB good then play better. Don't get mad and play like crap get mad and produce more. 

• Like 1

For anybody who doesn't think M Jones is head and shoulders better than Zack Wilson they better think again.

M Jones 28 for 29 382 yards 2TD's  0 ints

No question BB is our DADDY

Douglas brought in great young talent in the 2022 draft but it doesn't mean a thing when you have a lousy QB

For me it’s too early to have an opinion on this. Very unhappy with no progress from Wilson. But he is a 2nd year QB. So I just can’t give up on him yet. I think he’s the starter for us again in just a few weeks (maybe after tye BUF game that I can see us getting beat easily in). So Wilson I think still might get 4 starts to finish this year. How he plays in those games will devise his future. He looks the same or even just a tad better? I think we go the FA route. He looks good… then I don’t see any change really.

• Like 2

All I can do is laugh when people say no thanks to guys like JG, Carr or Minshew...all of them are SIGNIFICANT upgrades and can move the football, something we haven't been able to do with consistency for a decade. Not to mention we've had a historically bad young QB the past two years. We need to stop being delusional. 

1. Veteran I think will be an absolute certainty. Zach Wilson would have to look like Aaron Rodgers for the last 4 weeks for them to not bring in legitimate competition next season.

2. Let Zach sit. He has a guaranteed contract, he is going to be here unless they trade him. Nothing wrong with this. He has a laundry list of issues that need to be seriously corrected. This doesn't mean hes done. I still believe in his talents but I 100% agree with the coach that he needs a reset and further more, maybe even to sit next year if vast improvement isnt seen after the offseason.

3. Day 3 draft pick. I like Penix but in no way in hell should anyone with his injury history be taken before Day 3. I am on board with several athletic QB projects and I hope we go this route. Maybe taking on someone with high athleticism who needs time to develop will actually net us the return we'd been hoping far. The high draft pick and start immediately simply hasn't worked for us. New plan.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

All I can do is laugh when people say no thanks to guys like JG, Carr or Minshew...all of them are SIGNIFICANT upgrades and can move the football, something we haven't been able to do with consistency for a decade. Not to mention we've had a historically bad young QB the past two years. We need to stop being delusional. 

1. Veteran I think will be an absolute certainty. Zach Wilson would have to look like Aaron Rodgers for the last 4 weeks for them to not bring in legitimate competition next season.

2. Let Zach sit. He has a guaranteed contract, he is going to be here unless they trade him. Nothing wrong with this. He has a laundry list of issues that need to be seriously corrected. This doesn't mean hes done. I still believe in his talents but I 100% agree with the coach that he needs a reset and further more, maybe even to sit next year if vast improvement isnt seen after the offseason.

3. Day 3 draft pick. I like Penix but in no way in hell should anyone with his injury history be taken before Day 3. I am on board with several athletic QB projects and I hope we go this route. Maybe taking on someone with high athleticism who needs time to develop will actually net us the return we'd been hoping far. The high draft pick and start immediately simply hasn't worked for us. New plan.

It’s not that black and white though. Rarely is a 2nd year QB going to be as good as 10yr vets. So to expect the same maturity from Zach at 23 as Jimmy G or Carr is not a good like of thinking. Zach needs to be developed. Regardless of we go sign a vet. Zach isn’t getting cut. Depending on the FA it’s actually still be a QB battle in TC (JG or Carr brought in they’re starting) (Minshew brought in, it’s a QB battle) as a few examples.

The issue with Zach is the lack of development. We see Fields and TLaw getting better. Zach is the exact same as week 1 last year or worse. He has to big time improve to have any future here

• Like 1

Besides solid performance, the vet options we've mentioned also set a good bar for Wilson to pass before getting on the field again. I don't care to see Wilson on the field if he can't beat out someone like Minshew. 

Carr strikes me as the perfect match. His 2021 stat line before McDaniels showed up: Compl.68%, 4800yds, 23TDs, 14ints. Renfrow as his #1 target. He's been sacked 20 times this season, but still giving comp 62%, 15TDs and 5INTs. Add a QB that can give you 4,000yds, 62%+comp, 24tds/10ints to Wilson, Davis, Moore, AVT, Hall, and etc changes the team completely with a top-10 defense right now that may get better next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not that black and white though. Rarely is a 2nd year QB going to be as good as 10yr vets. So to expect the same maturity from Zach at 23 as Jimmy G or Carr is not a good like of thinking. Zach needs to be developed. Regardless of we go sign a vet. Zach isn’t getting cut. Depending on the FA it’s actually still be a QB battle in TC (JG or Carr brought in they’re starting) (Minshew brought in, it’s a QB battle) as a few examples.

The issue with Zach is the lack of development. We see Fields and TLaw getting better. Zach is the exact same as week 1 last year or worse. He has to big time improve to have any future here

I dont think youre understanding my post. I am not comparing a 2nd year QB to 10 year vets in terms of where Zach should be at. I am saying that as fans we get snobbish with free agent QBs when we havent even gotten competent play from the position in years. In Zach's situation he has been way too similar to all time busts so far. I think a year of him sitting wouldnt be so bad. He hast to mature a lot both mentally and physically. One of the 10 year vets will not only help the rest of our young offense develop and win while doing so, but so be a good mentor to how Zach can carve at out his career. MInshew is still very young and showed very solid play on a horrendous team right away. He would so be great competition. Zach has to be here no matter what. Sitting could be the best thing to ever happen for him, even if its all next year.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Carr strikes me as the perfect match.

The problem is Carr’s $34M hit if we trade for him. We can see if the Raiders cut him but that is a gamble unless they do so before FA starts.

Regardless, he would also be my choice strictly from a talent perspective. 

26 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I dont think youre understanding my post. I am not comparing a 2nd year QB to 10 year vets in terms of where Zach should be at. I am saying that as fans we get snobbish with free agent QBs when we havent even gotten competent play from the position in years. In Zach's situation he has been way too similar to all time busts so far. I think a year of him sitting wouldnt be so bad. He hast to mature a lot both mentally and physically. One of the 10 year vets will not only help the rest of our young offense develop and win while doing so, but so be a good mentor to how Zach can carve at out his career. MInshew is still very young and showed very solid play on a horrendous team right away. He would so be great competition. Zach has to be here no matter what. Sitting could be the best thing to ever happen for him, even if its all next year.

If Minshew bombs prematurely then we will hear the dumb chanting like we want Zach now.   Just get Carr and move on.

50 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Was Fitz not a competent backup? And then we got tricked into thinking he was a legit starter and wasted cap space and a draft pick that should’ve been used on a QB (Mahomes or Watson). 

15 minutes ago, xrade said:

The problem is Carr’s $34M hit if we trade for him. We can see if the Raiders cut him but that is a gamble unless they do so before FA starts.

Regardless, he would also be my choice strictly from a talent perspective. 

Yeah, I'm basing everything I say on if he gets cut.

At the same time, once when Jackson, Herbert, and Burrow get their new deals, Carr's 2023 isn't even a top-10 QB cap hit. Tannehill and mat Ryan are in the mid 35M cap hit range. Wentz is taking on $27M this year. Goff is at $30M. So $35M may become the average salary for QBs like him within the next couple of years because of the massive contracts that are going to younger QBs. Watson & Murray's deals changed everything. In terms of career averages, Carr is not far but Watson & Murray will be getting $50M+ in 2024. Even Russell Wilson's contract is insane. He's getting $55M at age 37 before the potential out in his deal. So I maybe fine with Carr being traded for if there is competition for him and his cap hits will be considered the average in a year or 2. 

Even if we sign a cheaper vet for 2 years, we'll have to consider paying up at least the average if they perform to the level we hope. 

The Lamar Jackson situation is interesting. I'm still watching.