QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

37 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Sounds about right. The equivalent of a 2nd and 3rd this year. I’m good with it

Yeah.

This whole trade is so weird. 

This is a aging vet salary dump trade. Historically this kind of deal is for like a 3rd and a 5th. Even two twos is steep for one season of a player. That's why the Jets are supposedly sticking to the return pick if he doesn't play atleast two seasons.

My ideal situation here is making the deal for the two twos while getting a three back if Rodgers bails. Then selecting bpa at 13 and trading which ever second we kept to slide down and pick up a late 2nd and 4 or a high 3rd and 4th. 

We need to keep injecting youth. I'd have suggesting trading out of 13 but the Jets have been aggressive in persuing guys in the draft so it seems way out of character to move away from 13

11 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Look at what teams give up to position themselves to draft a QB.  Unproven rooks.  Multiple 1'st.  Cleveland gave up the farm for Watson.  (Worst trade ever) Just saying the market for QB's has changed since the days or Favre.  Even giving up #20 for one year of Rodgers would be better value than what these teams have been paying.  Gute knows this so does Douglas.  Just another point we received a 1st and 2nd round pick for a 30 year old WR last year.  How many years do you think Adams has left?  Just saying.  You cheapskates...😁

You do realize that Aaron Rodgers is yrs 12 older than Watson. There were also MULTIPLE teams bidding on that trade. 

Sure, the Packers can always decide to open it up to other Teams. However, that course of action is highly unlikely. Rodgers has expressed no desire to play anywhere else. So any other team that enters the bidding would risk Rodgers simply retiring instead of being traded. Beyond that, the QB market is pretty set with QB needy teams positioned at the top of the draft and the rest already singing FA's. 

The compensation will be a 2nd if the packers are lucky. 

41 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Rodgers is a far better QB than either of those guys

WAS far better and maybe still is, last year didn't do him any favors.  And before you start with the hurt thing or the rookie WR thing, don't.  If he was that hurt, he should not have been playing so it is reasonable to assume he was not that hurt.  Yes, his rookie WR's did him little favores early in the season, but a great QB makes his WR look good.

45 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Stafford is already screwed.  Rams got 1 decent year out of him.

So will the Jets if he bails after one year.  The reason does not matter.  Stafford isn't playing and Rodgers may not in 2024.  Situation is similar in that regard.

If we Jet fans were absolutely sure Rodgers would be here for 3 years or longer, this debate would be moot because Rodgers would probably already be a Jet and GB would be wondering who to spend the 13th pick on.  BUT, everyone knows Rodgers could easily walk away after one year leaving us Jet fans in a major lurch because we have no one right now to play QB in 2024 unless Zach somehow makes a major transformation.  This is why I never wanted Rodgers and still don't.  So for GB fans to expect high draft value which screws the Jets even more is absolutely insane.  It is not about what he has done, it is about what he will do.  JD knows this as well and it is unfortunate that Woody is forcing his hand.

The scenario I see playing out is that AR becomes a Jet at least for 2023.  We give up a SRP this year and a conditional SRP next year contingent upon AR playing in 2024.  The Jets make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game but I do not see a SB in 2023.  We are still young with some question marks.  AR hangs it up after 2023 and we are looking for a FA QB for 2024.  In essence, becoming the Colts.  Then we fans will be left hoping for Zach or whatever QB we pick this year or next to pan out which, as Jet fans know, has not happened in most of the fans lifetimes.  We also get to talk about who the next HC and GM will be.  Yup, fun times await us.  Can't wait!

5 hours ago, xrade said:

WAS far better and maybe still is, last year didn't do him any favors.  And before you start with the hurt thing or the rookie WR thing, don't.  If he was that hurt, he should not have been playing so it is reasonable to assume he was not that hurt.  Yes, his rookie WR's did him little favores early in the season, but a great QB makes his WR look good.

So will the Jets if he bails after one year.  The reason does not matter.  Stafford isn't playing and Rodgers may not in 2024.  Situation is similar in that regard.

If we Jet fans were absolutely sure Rodgers would be here for 3 years or longer, this debate would be moot because Rodgers would probably already be a Jet and GB would be wondering who to spend the 13th pick on.  BUT, everyone knows Rodgers could easily walk away after one year leaving us Jet fans in a major lurch because we have no one right now to play QB in 2024 unless Zach somehow makes a major transformation.  This is why I never wanted Rodgers and still don't.  So for GB fans to expect high draft value which screws the Jets even more is absolutely insane.  It is not about what he has done, it is about what he will do.  JD knows this as well and it is unfortunate that Woody is forcing his hand.

The scenario I see playing out is that AR becomes a Jet at least for 2023.  We give up a SRP this year and a conditional SRP next year contingent upon AR playing in 2024.  The Jets make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game but I do not see a SB in 2023.  We are still young with some question marks.  AR hangs it up after 2023 and we are looking for a FA QB for 2024.  In essence, becoming the Colts.  Then we fans will be left hoping for Zach or whatever QB we pick this year or next to pan out which, as Jet fans know, has not happened in most of the fans lifetimes.  We also get to talk about who the next HC and GM will be.  Yup, fun times await us.  Can't wait!

I couldn't agree more with your post. I'd say you are spot on.

Decided to visit this forum to see what fans are saying from the Jets perspective. I can't wait until this deal is completed. I'd say the reported second round picks involved seem to be fair for both sides, as long as the sides can agree on what picks to where depending on what happens with Rodgers in 2024 and how far the Jets progress this year. (I'll definitely be rooting for the Jets if it helps Packers)

3 minutes ago, Eternal said:

I couldn't agree more with your post. I'd say you are spot on.

Decided to visit this forum to see what fans are saying from the Jets perspective. I can't wait until this deal is completed. I'd say the reported second round picks involved seem to be fair for both sides, as long as the sides can agree on what picks to where depending on what happens with Rodgers in 2024 and how far the Jets progress this year. (I'll definitely be rooting for the Jets if it helps Packers)

If you care to go back about 50 pages, you can see the debate between fans. If nothing else, it has given us all something to talk about during this most boring NFL period.

I think AR is one of the top 10 all-time great QB’s. Maybe top 15 if I really dig into my many now dormant brain cells. It is just too bad that AR is so flaky (a right he has earned) that fans from both teams want him, yet don’t.

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

If you care to go back about 50 pages, you can see the debate between fans. If nothing else, it has given us all something to talk about during this most boring NFL period.

I think AR is one of the top 10 all-time great QB’s. Maybe top 15 if I really dig into my many now dormant brain cells. It is just too bad that AR is so flaky (a right he has earned) that fans from both teams want him, yet don’t.

I can't wait to start something fresh myself even if Love doesn't work out for us. Rodgers mindset to me doesn't seem to be in the right place anymore that makes him stand out compared to competition with the Packers. I think that mindset will improve though if he eventually does get moved to the Jets. He will have a chip on his shoulder again, which I feel he needs at this point to motivate himself and lift his level of play. I wouldn't be shocked if he is considered for MVP when he gets moved to the Jets.

Edited by Eternal

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

He will have a chip on his shoulder again, which I feel he needs at this point to motivate himself and lift his level of play.

I tend to agree. It seems GB kind of ignored Rodgers desire for a blue chip WR prospect. Then drafting his replacement perhaps 2-3 years too early sent him into darkness literally.  Maybe he gets rejuvenated. The real question is for how long?  

12 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Just give them 43 and a conditional that has a good shot at becoming a 2nd in 2024 and be done with it. Don’t need to complicate it so much. If he comes back he comes back, if he doesn’t then you didn’t give up too much.

We're well past that point if you believe the rumors.  The latest iteration of rumors was a SRP plus a conditional SRP that has a reasonable chance of conveying as a FRP.  The inclusion of a '25 conditional pick isn't going to drop that future pick a WHOLE round when that substantially alters the trade package.

7 hours ago, xrade said:

You can't have conditional picks that convey before the "tigger point" happens.  What's stopping from the Rodgers and the Jets from having Rodgers "retire" before the draft, and then suddenly "changing his mind" afterwards?  For that reason alone, it's a non-starter.  Assuming the report is accurate of a SRP this year plus a conditional SRP next year and that the holdup is a the '25 conditional pick that the Jets are wanting.  It seems that there would probably need to be incentive to concede that '25 conditional pick.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You can't have conditional picks that convey before the "tigger point" happens

My point was more about “protection” for the Jets if he walks and something reasonable for GB if he does not.

One thing about JD is that he negotiates in good faith. This is why he is not talking to any other QB because that would not be in good faith. So even if there might be a loophole, JD would not do something that would be viewed as “bush league “. He knows things like that hurt when dealing with teams in the future.

So, while on the surface, a trade that may appear to have a loophole, as you suggest in  the conditional pick scenario, is contractually available, JD would not do that. 

We are on page 165 of this endless BS. What is the worst thing that could happen the Rodgers deal fall apart, and we go 2-15, but we still have the 13 overal pick in the draft and in 2024 just 12 months from now we get the first overall pick in the draft . All i can say to GB fans is GOOD LUCK with  Love as you QB.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

We are on page 165 of this endless BS. What is the worst thing that could happen the Rodgers deal fall apart, and we go 2-15, but we still have the 13 overal pick in the draft and in 2024 just 12 months from now we get the first overall pick in the draft . All i can say to GB fans is GOOD LUCK with  Love as you QB.

You have 2 A+++ QB prospects too in next years draft. I like the QB's in next years draft way better than this years draft. The way JD drafts this team can be good for a very long time. I feel like we don't HAVE to have AR. I still like the idea of bulding throught the draft like JD has done. Man I wanted Carr so bad too. He would have played perfect here for 5 years no problem. 

30 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

You have 2 A+++ QB prospects too in next years draft. I like the QB's in next years draft way better than this years draft. The way JD drafts this team can be good for a very long time. I feel like we don't HAVE to have AR. I still like the idea of bulding throught the draft like JD has done. Man I wanted Carr so bad too. He would have played perfect here for 5 years no problem. 

I agree 1000%