QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

48 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I know everyone is against a band aid but I’m all for Jimmy G or Carr while ditching Zach, for the sake of the locker room. Also gives us time to sit and develop a 2nd-3rd rounder. If not it buys time until next offseason. 

Keeping Wilson and using picks elsewhere.  Jets have a lot of holes to step up on double.

Now that the season is over and White is clearly not going to end the year putting his mark on the position I can say this. Derek Carr is clearly the best option for us. His average season is miles ahead of what we normally get from the position. He is 31 years old not 35+. He has been very durable. The one big thing with Carr is he has never played behind a good defense. His W/L record which is peoples biggest knock on him requires him to score a **** ton of points. The raiders are as awful on defense as we have been at offense over the last decade. Our defense is ready. Our front office and coaches will be on the hot seat next year. Drafting from what I believe is a mediocre QB class (where we have to trade up anyway and give up 2 years worth of top picks) or taking a raw prospect like Richardson is not the right answer to me. Carr is not a superstar and can't carry us/bail the defense out like Mahomes does. But that is not how our team is structured. 

Raiders painted themselves in a corner with the Carr situation so they don't have much leverage. Not sure who our biggest competitor is for him but I imagine most of the teams that need a QB have an early pick where they can take a QB/need to go into a rebuild anyway. This really seems like a no brainer for me with our current situation. A few tweaks to (LB, S) and this is a top 3 defense. With some luck in health and decent coaching this is a playoff team next year. 

15 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Carr has always taken the high road in every situation and always has his teammates backs, he handled last year's turmoil very well and would be a massive upgrade in terms of leadership so I don't think it's fair to knock him for his attitude. His on-play ability is what I question, does he make us a playoff team and get us out of QB purgatory? If you like Carr now vs Garoppolo in SF, then Carr is gonna be the guy you want because our offensive system is much worse than the Shanny system and Garoppolo will simply not be as good for us.

He's literally just quit on his team after being benched.

I also think Carr is QB purgatory, if he was a better QB then the Raiders wouldn't be regular losers. Sure with our current team we'll likely do better than they have but don't think Carr or Jimmy G are anything other than short term starters until you find a better replacement in the draft.

This is a tough one, I think we can all agree that the Jets need an answer at QB. It would make sense to bring in a guy like Frank Reich as OC to mentor Zach as he sits and learns. Zach needs to sit and learn and observe.

So, where do we go from here, Carr, Jimmy G, Rodgers, Brady, any of these would all but guarantee the Jets make the playoffs baring injuries.

But is that what we want? Next who would want to come here with so many unknowns concerning this staff? Knowing these guys are on the hot seat.

They have to win, HAVE to win next year and make the playoffs, that is unless Woody tells JD we need to make whole sale changes with the coaching staff.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did, and the fanbase has had Woody's ear for years. 

So its not an easy fix. I do think the Jets will draft a QB in round 4-5 as a backup. Why pay MW 7 Mil to sit when you can draft a QB. Now if a QB should drop in their lap in the 10-12 range who knows.

The Jets have to clear out and cut a great deal of dead wood. They could clear enough space to pay a Rodgers or Brady. But be sure of this, these high end players will want a say on who is coaching and play development.

7 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

He's literally just quit on his team after being benched.

I also think Carr is QB purgatory, if he was a better QB then the Raiders wouldn't be regular losers. Sure with our current team we'll likely do better than they have but don't think Carr or Jimmy G are anything other than short term starters until you find a better replacement in the draft.

I think his team quit on him on this one. But I agree, both QB's are purgatory.

I found it almost a guarantee that: 

A - Carr does not agree to coming here either by trade or voluntarily 

or

B - Douglas doesn't want to trade draft picks for a QB whose 32

David Carr stated his brother is looking for stability, let's not kid ourselves here. We don't even know if we have the coach yet. This one isnt happening.

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

or

David Carr stated his brother is looking for stability, let's not kid ourselves here. We don't even know if we have the coach yet. This one isnt happening.

That is why I think Raiders could not find a deal in hand by the deadline.    Stability in NFL?  hard to trust that.

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

or

Which team do you see out there that needs a QB and is on the fringe of playoff contention that offers this stability you speak of? 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I hate this answer I am giving so much but, the Patriots. 

Not sure I see stability on the offensive side of the ball when Patricia is the actual play caller (that may change). Regardless I don't think they are done with Mac Jones after two years (when his rookie year was impressive). Not a Zach Wilson situation there. Derek Carr is not that kind of QB you'd give up on him for anyway.