QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

You guys really want Minshew??? He is not that good and the Jets would probably not make the playoffs. You know what he can do and it is not that good. I would rather stick with White. The QB's I want are Carr or Rodgers and if we can't land one of them I would go with White, Wilson and a rookie to fight for the job. 

There is a reason why no team wants him as a starter,  he feels like a Ryan Fitzpatrick type. 

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

At this point I am convinced any QB can come to the Jets and would suck. We are a death sentence for QBs. I feel like it doesn't matter who we get, they will end up struggling and we will be back to where we are. 

I really like Sam Darnold as a prospect, he ends up busting here. I really like Zach Wilson as a prospect, he ends up struggling and things are not looking great right now. None of these guys ever pans out for us. 

It's a philosophical issue. Essentially the Jets ownership group is unwilling to commit to a process of building a team and weathering the growing pains while that process plays out. Instead, if they don't catch lightening in a bottle, or even if they do, at the first sign of trouble they put pressure on/fire coaches.

This creates a culture where no one feels truly comfortable in establishing and sticking to a plan. Instead, everyone just looks for that magic bullet that fixes everything, except that doesn't exist. 

With Sanchez, we had a dominant defense and running attack, but for whatever reason, every off-season where we had him, we got rid of the receiver he had the best chemistry with. We changed his offensive coordinator every year too (if my memory is correct) Then we foolishly played him late in the preseason, getting him injured and ending his Jets career.

Geno was a bit different. I can't really fault us for cutting bait with him simply because the whole IK situation seemed to cause him to loose the locker room.

With Sam, we drafted him into a terrible situation, never gave him any sort of offensive line or receiver help and kept changing his coordinator. 

Wilson was also put into a god awful spot. He was drafted onto a terrible team AND The team felt that it was a good idea to have him slot into an offense that had a rookie head coach and a rookie offensive coordinator in place. Not only should Wilson(and Darnold) have sat for their rookie year or most of it anyway, but the teams needed to be better build to support a young learning QB. That means a strong offensive line with a veteran center, some talented veteran wrs and a conservative game plan.

Want a good homegrown QB. It's not nearly as complicated as teams think, but they get so wrapped up in instant results(because of ownership/media/fans/ego) that they do way more harm than good to the development of these guys by rushing them and expecting them to carry bad teams. If you are picking top 10, your team probably stinks, if you draft a QB into that situation,let him sit and learn behind a vet while you build a better team for him to slot into and develop. 

Is there another QB on the horizon on the Jets? My take is yes, but yes for all the right reasons. Zack is not ready first and foremost. The Jets see all the intangibles, the QB's around the league see all the talent and so do the GM's.

However, he is not mentally ready for the challenge, all the talent and will to succeed and watching game film will not translate to the field until he becomes a student.

Zack for his part is eager to succeed and is open to learning, THIS is good. 

But in the meantime, with a top 5 defense that went from worse to one of the best, a window of opportunity has opened for a starved Jets fan base to see the team make the playoffs in more than a decade. If I'm not mistaken.

The Big Mac years and Idzik nightmares are in the rearview mirror. These Jets are not the "same ol' Jets" this is a smash mouth top 5 defense in football and with someone even like Geno Smith could do a lot of damage going into the final games of the season.

Not to mention, teams who would like to avoid playing this defense in the first round of the playoffs. 

For this reason, I can see the Jets making a move, which would result in Wilson riding the pine, and the Jets acquiring a game manager/better than average QB and making some noise going into next season.

As for this season, Mike White is not the answer, if he were he would have been starting day one, Flacco is unpredictable, but manage the game, put up some points and at this juncture of the season ride the defensive wave that can carry you to the playoffs.

It is painfully evident that we are incapable of scoring points even with all the talent we have amassed at TE,RB,and WR. This falls on MFL, just as Wilson has shown his need to sit.

MLF is on the clock as well, especially seeing in the first half of games he can't put any points on the board.

12 minutes ago, Big T said:

Is there another QB on the horizon on the Jets? My take is yes, but yes for all the right reasons. Zack is not ready first and foremost. The Jets see all the intangibles, the QB's around the league see all the talent and so do the GM's.

However, he is not mentally ready for the challenge, all the talent and will to succeed and watching game film will not translate to the field until he becomes a student.

Zack for his part is eager to succeed and is open to learning, THIS is good. 

But in the meantime, with a top 5 defense that went from worse to one of the best, a window of opportunity has opened for a starved Jets fan base to see the team make the playoffs in more than a decade. If I'm not mistaken.

The Big Mac years and Idzik nightmares are in the rearview mirror. These Jets are not the "same ol' Jets" this is a smash mouth top 5 defense in football and with someone even like Geno Smith could do a lot of damage going into the final games of the season.

Not to mention, teams who would like to avoid playing this defense in the first round of the playoffs. 

For this reason, I can see the Jets making a move, which would result in Wilson riding the pine, and the Jets acquiring a game manager/better than average QB and making some noise going into next season.

As for this season, Mike White is not the answer, if he were he would have been starting day one, Flacco is unpredictable, but manage the game, put up some points and at this juncture of the season ride the defensive wave that can carry you to the playoffs.

It is painfully evident that we are incapable of scoring points even with all the talent we have amassed at TE,RB,and WR. This falls on MFL, just as Wilson has shown his need to sit.

MLF is on the clock as well, especially seeing in the first half of games he can't put any points on the board.

Great post big T, the only thing i will say is from day one Z. Wilson, was draft he was pencil in as Jets starting QB/ that was the Jets , first mistake. 

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Great post big T, the only thing i will say is from day one Z. Wilson, was draft he was pencil in as Jets starting QB/ that was the Jets , first mistake. 

Not sure at this juncture if it is a mistake, but Douglas has had a good past 2 years with the draft. With QB's I think we are less patient then other players. But maybe that was Saleh's call who knows. But Douglas to be sure hit it out of the park this year, and the playoffs could be the prize going forward.

In 1965 the New York Jets, drafted with their first pick in the draft Joe Namath, with their second pick in the draft they took Heisman trophy winner QB John Huarte.  Both these players had to fight it out for the starting job.  They just weren't handed the job like Wilson.

And by the way we won the Super Bowl because of that move. AND i AM PROBALY THE LAST JET FAN ALIVE  TO SEE THE GAME ON MY 17" BLACK & WHITE PORTABLE TV. MY SISTER WAS DOWNSTAIRS WATCHING THE WIARAD OF OZ ON 24" COLOR TV

• Like 1

49ers looked really, really good last week.  Super Bowl good.  

So Jimmy G may not be an option.  But if he was that would be my pick.  Never going to be elite and has trouble staying healthy, but he is a born leader and can play well on loaded teams.

Not sure why you would want Carr.  He seems to be turning into a coach killer.  Not sure about his intelligence either, some red flags with him for me. 

Please, please pick up Minshew.  Not sure if he is a legit starter, seems to always play well when he has some guys around him but no team ever wants to keep him for whatever reason   

I just find his personality really entertaining and want him to be a starter in the league.  

Maybe they don’t feel comfortable around his weirdness.  

If you do want a draft QB you are welcome to Bears pick for low, low price of two 1s and some 2s.  Hopefully it is top 3. 

Anyway, have fun curb stomping my Bears today.   Our center is a double agent so your interior line should build some nice stats.    

All the possessions and a terrible defense should build some confidence for Mr. White.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Look at Minshews stats and tape and come up with a good argument how Mike White or Zach Wilson is a better option?

Minshew is not an upgrade over White. White is tearing it up again today. There is a reason why Minshew is a backup. We have plenty of backups. 

22 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Minshew is not an upgrade over White. White is tearing it up again today. There is a reason why Minshew is a backup. We have plenty of backups. 

No one expected White to play as well as he is today. Obviously we roll with him now if he plays even 70% of this down the stretch 

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

No one expected White to play as well as he is today. Obviously we roll with him now if he plays even 70% of this down the stretch 

I think White is capable, we'll see if he lasts. But the positives with White. He is 6'5, he has a big arm, he is confident, he has great pocket awareness and makes quick decisions. 

We shall see if he can sustain it, but I think as long as White plays within the offense he will be fine. Unlike last season, this season we have better weapons for the QB and a good defense. Last season vs the Bills White was playing vs a team that was much more talented than ours.  The turnovers were his issue last season, lets see if with a better team and year 2 in the offense that he improves that. If he does, he will start the rest of the way. 

Edited by NYJets4716

We have to see how the rest of this season goes. White played well today so let’s see how he does going forward. If he does not play well the rest of the season this is where I stand I don’t think Aaron Rodgers is a realistic possibility. Derek carr in my opinion should be our number 1 target with jimmy g as a close #2. I think carr fits our offense perfectly and we should do everything we can to bring him in as he’s still only 31. Jimmy g knows our system and could be a good fit as well. Aside from those 2 I don’t really see any other current starters on other teams that would even be worth it. Minshew is alright I see him as a career backup. A really good backup but nothing more. If there’s nothing else available you can bring him in to compete but that’s not the type of guy you can build a franchise around imo. Daniel Jones is trash and I want to part of him. You can also bring in a rookie but definitely do not spend a first round pick on one. I think it’s Derek carr, jimmy g or bust ultimately in the case that white doesn’t pan out. Hopefully he does

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Minshew torched us last year with a bad Eagles team. Torched us the year before with a bad Jags team. He is good enough to start in this league.